Artifact: Thuận Thiên (Heaven's Will)

Col. Detritch

I think I may have found an artifact that's almost too perfect for Indy V... Thuận Thiên... it's a mythical Vietnamese sword belonging to Vietnamese King Lê Lợi. Apparently the sword gave the King the power of one thousand men and made him grow very tall. Anyone who holds it is all powerful. In the beginning of the legend Lê Lợi had started a moderately successful revolt against the occupying Chinese Ming Dynasty. Just when it all seemed lost a man known as The Dragon King said he would lend him his powerful sword. But it was broken into two parts- blade and hilt.
Meanwhile a fisherman Lê Thận found a blade entangled in his nets. Every time he threw it away it came back so he kept it not knowing what to do with it. Years later he joined the revolt and rose through the ranks. On one occasion Lê Lợi went to meet with Lê Thận at his home. As if the blade sensed his presence, it began to glow. Lê Lợi held up the blade and saw two words manifesting before his very eye: Thuận Thiên (Will of Heaven). Lê Thận said he could take it. Later, while fleeing enemy forces Lê Lợi saw a glow in a tree. When he investigated he saw it was the hilt, encrusted with gems. He put the two together and they fitted perfectly. The future-King used the complete Thuận Thiên to revolt against the Ming occupation and gain the thrown starting the Lê Dynasty.
A year later, while on his dragon boat, he came to the middle of the lake, a giant turtle with a golden shell emerged from under the water surface. Lê Lợi ordered the captain to slow down, and at the same time looked down to see that the magic sword on his belt was moving on its own. The golden turtle advanced toward the boat and the King, then with a human voice, it asked him to return the magic sword to his master, Long Vương (Dragon King who had given him the right to hold the sword), who lived under the water. It suddenly became clear to Lê Lợi that the sword was only lent to him to carry out his duty, but now it must be returned to its rightful owner, lest it corrupt him. Lê Lợi drew the sword out of its scabbard and lobbed it towards the turtle. With great speed, the turtle opened its mouth and snatched the sword from the air with its teeth. It descended back into the water, with the shiny sword in its mouth, and for a long period a flickering light was said to have been seen from beyond the muddled depths of the lake. That lake is now known as Hồ Hoàn Kiếm (Lake of the Returned Sword).

What do you think? It’s an Asian artifact with historical significance, a chance for Indy to visit the dense jungle of Vietnam just before the heat of the Vietnam War (or during). Possible Vietnamese (Viet Cong) villains or Red Chinese villains. Plus an already established supernatural power and possible downfall for the villain, “lest it corrupted him.” :hat:

Hanselation

Sounds good to me! I certainly would like to see an Indiana Jones movie with that McGuffin. (y)

bg_thuathienkiem.jpg

Exulted Unicron

Sounds like an interesting McGuffin for Indy 5. Depends if Lucas and Spielberg want to make a movie set in the 60s and have Chinese/Vietnamese enemies. It has plenty of potential to work.

seasider

Interesting. I also like the possibility of bringing China into it. There's also an opportunity to have the Red army as sort of villains.

Indy's brother

Col. Detritch said:
Apparently the sword gave the King the power of one thousand men and made him grow very tall.

Another 50's sci-fi twist?

458169_Attack-of-the-50-ft-Woman.jpg

Might be a bit much, but a 10 foot-tall villain might be do-able.