Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

The Man

Based on John le Carre's classic book. Directed by the man who brought us Let The Right One In. Oldman. Hardy. Hurt. Firth...

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Aco15ScXCwA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>​

Should be the sharpest, smartest British film in years...

Mike00spy

It is a dream cast. The toughest assignment is of course for Oldman. Alec Guinness's George Smiley casts a long shadow.

The Man

52911.jpg

The Man

<iframe width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-TvdqRvCwGg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>​

The Man

Alfredson is startlingly adept at envisioning how Smiley?s mind works; you can almost see the wheels turning as the pieces of the puzzle click together (at one point you literally see tracks converging as he nears his ?Eureka!? moment), and a clever piece of sound editing filters conversations through Smiley?s thought process until he homes in on a phrase that is the key to everything. And then there is his face in his final shot; we recognise the sweet taste of game over, game well-played in his mouth.

Utterly absorbing, extremely smart and - considering this is a sad, shabby, drably grey-green world of obsessives, misfits, misdirection, disillusionment, self-delusion and treachery - quite beautifully executed.

Sharkey

You're back! And surprise, still spamming! Must be lonely.

Its been so On Topic lately.

Tinker gypsy knacker wank.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Sharkey said:
You're back! And surprise, still spamming! Must be lonely.

Its been so On Topic lately.

Tinker gypsy knacker wank.

Even for films that ought to be good, and that actually bear some relation to Indiana Jones, as a retro-fitted genre film of quality?

And why is it this that brings <I>you</I> out of the woodwork, rather than some off those On Topic threads you claim to be pleased about?

Sharkey

Attila the Professor said:
Even for films that ought to be good, and that actually bear some relation to Indiana Jones, as a retro-fitted genre film of quality?

And why is it this that brings <I>you</I> out of the woodwork, rather than some off those On Topic threads you claim to be pleased about?
I know you got some kind of love for everybody Tilly Baby, but you sayin this film bears some ration to Indy is thinner than Attila the Professors hairline.

What brings a guy out to an Indiana Jones message board?
Guess there's a Joker for every Batman.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Sharkey said:
I know you got some kind of love for everybody Tilly Baby, but you sayin this film bears some ration to Indy is thinner than Attila the Professors hairline.

Nobody has superpowers, it's a genre piece with higher aspirations, it's set in the past, and it even has one of the actors from the series. I know you're not going to start complaining, but this one doesn't seem like a fight worth picking. Save it for Harold & Kumar or The Beaver or something that's actually out of hand.

Now, none of this is to say that lack of popular involvement in threads might not be an indicator that folks aren't that interested in some particular non-Indy discussions. Three updates without commentary is a pretty good place to start rethinking a particular subject's worth here.

Sharkey said:
What brings a guy out to an Indiana Jones message board?
Guess there's a Joker for every Batman.

Well, if you like to watch the world burn, you like to watch the world burn.