A petition for Indy 5?

Raiders90

Please just merge this with an existing topic if there is one; I do not want to be banned again.

Anyway...Does anyone think it could help if we started a petition for Indy 5, circulated it first around the internet and collected as many signatures as possible, and then sent off to both Lucasfilm and Spielberg?

The Drifter

No, it would not help in the least. I'm sorry, but Indiana Jones V is just a pipe dream. A fantasy. A wisp of smoke vanishing into the air.

Raiders90

The Drifter said:
No, it would not help in the least. I'm sorry, but Indiana Jones V is just a pipe dream. A fantasy. A wisp of smoke vanishing into the air.

It couldn't hurt to try.

The Drifter

Raiders112390 said:
It couldn't hurt to try.

No, it wouldn't hurt anything to try. I'd sign it, but I think (If I remember right) someone else tried this a few years ago. But, came up fruitless.

Raiders90

Montana Smith said:
It might hurt if it actually happened.

Let sleeping dogs lie (both Indiana and Mutt). ;)

I don't think it would, to be honest. Spielberg and Harrison know where KOTCS went wrong. I think a fifth film would be better.

Why let the last image we see of Indy be him getting married? I don't want to see a reboot with another actor playing Indy until Harrison is deceased. There's still a lot of great ground and awesome artifacts which Indy could recover--Why end it? The Bond series had some horrid entries, even with the same actors (Diamonds are Forever with Connery*; Moonraker with Moore; The World is Not Enough with Brosnan), and yet it continued. One lesser film doesn't mean all future films in the series are going to be as bad.

*= Most people dislike Diamonds Are Forever. I personally love it, and I'm beginning to love KOTCS again.

Montana Smith

Raiders112390 said:
I don't think it would, to be honest. Spielberg and Harrison know where KOTCS went wrong. I think a fifth film would be better.

Why let the last image we see of Indy be him getting married? I don't want to see a reboot with another actor playing Indy until Harrison is deceased. There's still a lot of great ground and awesome artifacts which Indy could recover--Why end it? The Bond series had some horrid entries, even with the same actors (Diamonds are Forever with Connery*; Moonraker with Moore; The World is Not Enough with Brosnan), and yet it continued. One lesser film doesn't mean all future films in the series are going to be as bad.

*= Most people dislike Diamonds Are Forever. I personally love it, and I'm beginning to love KOTCS again.

Bond is a different story altogether. He's a character rather than an actor through a series of films, so when he's too old he gets rejuvinated, like Doctor Who.

A fifth Harrison Ford Indy is asking the man to do things the audience will resist as being even more implausible than his actions in KOTCS.

It would be sensible not to ask him to do those things, but to take a different approach. I don't think Lucas and Spielberg would risk taking that more radical approach, because it's not what the majority of the audience would expect from Indy.

Therefore, I don't believe Indy 5 is practical, or would in any way make up for the disappointment of KOTCS. It would likely further embarass the legacy of the character.

The only upside is a new line of action figures to accompany the movie. But is that enough to justify it?

The Drifter

Montana Smith said:
Bond is a different story altogether. He's a character rather than an actor through a series of films, so when he's too old he gets rejuvinated, like Doctor Who.

A fifth Harrison Ford Indy is asking the man to do things the audience will resist as being even more implausible than his actions in KOTCS.

It would be sensible not to ask him to do those things, but to take a different approach. I don't think Lucas and Spielberg would risk taking that more radical approach, because it's not what the majority of the audience would expect from Indy.

Therefore, I don't believe Indy 5 is practical, or would in any way make up for the disappointment of KOTCS. It would likely further embarass the legacy of the character.

The only upside is a new line of action figures to accompany the movie. But is that enough to justify it?

*Sigh*
As much as I hate it, Montana. I must admit that you are right. A part of me wants to see a new adventure with Ford as Dr. Jones (But, that part also knows it'll never happen!), and another part of me doesn't want it to see the light of day.

I have conflicting emotions in this. I can't really tell which side has more sway.
I guess that's why I have clung to the Uncharted games the way that I have. They give me that fix that I need from Indiana Jones in a way. Drake and Jones share some things, and the stories all are about adventure and searching for that lost treasure.

But, it seems like I'm a coke-addict. I want and need anything new that has the Indiana Jones stamp. And a new movie is the mother-lode.
But, there's that small voice that whispers in my ear that says I need to let this addiction go before it ruins everything that's good. Being that we don't need another film.

Maybe I just have a split-personality disorder?

Montana Smith

The Drifter said:
*Sigh*
As much as I hate it, Montana. I must admit that you are right. A part of me wants to see a new adventure with Ford as Dr. Jones (But, that part also knows it'll never happen!), and another part of me doesn't want it to see the light of day.

I have conflicting emotions in this. I can't really tell which side has more sway.
I guess that's why I have clung to the Uncharted games the way that I have. They give me that fix that I need from Indiana Jones in a way. Drake and Jones share some things, and the stories all are about adventure and searching for that lost treasure.

But, it seems like I'm a coke-addict. I want and need anything new that has the Indiana Jones stamp. And a new movie is the mother-lode.
But, there's that small voice that whispers in my ear that says I need to let this addiction go before it ruins everything that's good. Being that we don't need another film.

Maybe I just have a split-personality disorder?

You're feeling like this:

wsean_connery.gif

Because you want to see this:

whip.gif

Yet you fear it might have this effect?

aliens.gif

:D

Last edited by a moderator:

Raiders90

I don't see why an Indy 5 would be so bad. It's not like anyone would expect him to go under a truck again. The stunts can be believable if done right, and still make for an exciting film. It doesn't have to be a slow, actionless film with Indy in the backseat; Just make it believable (No more crazy stuff like Cutting Bridges or getting in Fridges); Maybe amp up the gunplay in place of physical stunts. Indy doesn't have to be 70 just because Harrison is; Harrison with makeup can still pass for an Indy in his late '50s or early 60s like in KOTCS. The film could still be set in 1959 or so. A fit 50something guy can still be pretty tough; it's not an ancient age. A stunt actor might have to be used, but then again, most of the later action scenes in ToD were done with a stuntman in Harry's place due to his back injury.

It doesn't have to be as action oriented as Raiders or TOD IF the story holds up.

Consider that Anthony Hopkins portrayed a 60 something year old Zorro in Mask of Zorro and still was able to pull off believable actions and still came off as a badass despite his older age. I'm not talking about his role in the film as a Mentor but strictly how he portrayed an older Zorro.

Make Indy's action more clever, perhaps, less two fisted. Bring back the gunplay of Raiders. It is possible; It can be done. Harrison still has an Indy film left in him. I'd rather have Indy go out with a bang or disappear into the mists than see him settling into quiet, boring, married life. For a hero like Indy, boring married life is kind of a fate worse than death.

Stoo

Raiders112390 said:
Please just merge this with an existing topic if there is one; I do not want to be banned again.

Anyway...Does anyone think it could help if we started a petition for Indy 5, circulated it first around the internet and collected as many signatures as possible, and then sent off to both Lucasfilm and Spielberg?
An existing topic isn't too far way, Raiders112390.;) No, I don't think a petition will help but Indy's brother started this thread: Get proactive!

Finn

Staff member
There once was a guy who once set his mind on calculating the exact odds an online petition has to succeed. He gave up when somebody pointed out that you can't divide by zero.

Montana Smith

Finn said:
There once was a guy who once set his mind on calculating the exact odds an online petition has to succeed. He gave up when somebody pointed out that you can't divide by zero.

Those moving pictures are more than off-putting.

I split them up (after a trial run) to lessen the visual overload, but does anyone think it could help if we started a petition to have them removed altogether, circulated it first around the internet and collected as many signatures as possible, and then sent off to both Lucasfilm and Spielberg?

:D

Oh, and I like cats?

(I'm sure that I can trust you with my vote, Finn, to sort at least one these problems out).

Dr. Gonzo

An intelligent man once said, "When I was back there in seminary school, there was a person there who put forth the proposition that you can petition the lord with prayer. Petition the lord with prayer. Petition the lord with prayer? YOU CANNOT PETITION THE LORD WITH PRAYER!"

Well, he kinda yelled that last part.

replican't said:
Let it die.
Yes, live and let die.

Stoo

Dr. Gonzo said:
An intelligent man once said, "When I was back there in seminary school, there was a person there who put forth the proposition that you can petition the lord with prayer. Petition the lord with prayer. Petition the lord with prayer? YOU CANNOT PETITION THE LORD WITH PRAYER!"

Well, he kinda yelled that last part.
And that man was...Jim Morrison.

Dr. Gonzo

Stoo said:
And that man was...Jim Morrison.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/k1g8WCA7mJk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Yes. Yes it was. 25 points for Stoo. :hat:

IAdventurer01

Do I want to see a great Indy V? Definitely.

Will a petition sway the powers that be to make one if they didn't want to already? No.

If for some reason they caved and decided to make a movie because the fans just begged them with a petition would Indy V be great? No.

Crack that whip

IAdventurer01 said:
Do I want to see a great Indy V? Definitely.

Will a petition sway the powers that be to make one if they didn't want to already? No.

If for some reason they caved and decided to make a movie because the fans just begged them with a petition would Indy V be great? No.

This is the real crux of the matter. Regardless of what one thinks of KotCS, and whatever the risk and potential of a fifth movie, it's really entirely up to George, Steven and Harrison whether one more gets made. If George decides upon an idea, all three of them like it, and all three like the resulting script, it'll happen; if those things don't happen, it won't. Petitions (for either outcome) won't hold any sway in this matter.