Indys bag

Ironclaw

Instead of making another topic, a question: has anybody actually ever found these in a military surplus in the US? I've checked (just as a lark) and have come up empty-handed. I found a Swedsh one yesterday, but that's it.

Do any posters here usually hang around at these places? If so, were the Mark VII's more common in the past, and everyone's since bought them up? Or were they never that prominent in US places to begin with (since it's British issue)?

And on that note, are they more prevalent in Britain (for any of the posters here on the other side of the pond)? I might get there someday and that would be pretty sweet to pick one up.

indyclone25

ddschneider1972 said:
I'm wanting a back, not necessarily screen authentic, but one to take on hikes, vacation to Europe next year, etc. Something to hold, notebook, camera, artifacts, for around $50-$60...is the Todd's one sturdy? When I see "costume" I think cheap Halloween style. How's todd's strap?

or does anyone have any other ideas, it doesn't have to be screen accurate, but usabale.

I got an authentic gas mask bag not a mark V11, but a same style in tan, and it smelled 70 years old.

i bought mine from todds and my satchel is very nice sturdy and the strap has lasted since feb --- i took it with me on my trip to florida in june and used it everyday for a week and a half for carrying my camera and papers. it stood up to all that punishment---- so in my opinion it is a very sturdy bag ---

indyclone25 said:
i bought mine from todds and my satchel is very nice sturdy and the strap has lasted since feb --- i took it with me on my trip to florida in june and used it everyday for a week and a half for carrying my camera and papers. it stood up to all that punishment---- so in my opinion it is a very sturdy bag ---

cool, I think i'm sold on it, lol.

Jorbex

ddschneider1972 said:
I'm wanting a back, not necessarily screen authentic, but one to take on hikes, vacation to Europe next year, etc. Something to hold, notebook, camera, artifacts, for around $50-$60...is the Todd's one sturdy? When I see "costume" I think cheap Halloween style. How's todd's strap?

or does anyone have any other ideas, it doesn't have to be screen accurate, but usabale.

I got an authentic gas mask bag not a mark V11, but a same style in tan, and it smelled 70 years old.
I used Magnoli's bag ($36 w/o strap) while on vacation in Spain and France last spring, and it was perfect! The cargo capacity is about right for a camera, water bottle and guidebooks. However, no authentically-styled mark VII will fit a laptop (unless it's one of the very small netbooks), due to the inner partitions.

Now that I think of it, when you said "notebook" did you mean an actual, paper notebook or a computer? :confused:

JayDee

I hope I can use this thread for my bidding, but does anyone has pictures from Todd´s bag? It seems to me that his bag looks different on every photo on his website. I´m thinking about ordering a bag that I can use for average living. I got 3 bags already ( 2x diffferent ebay-ones, 1x original bag, but I want to use the original one for an Indiana-Standee), but they are all just not what I thought they would be.

Greetings,
JayDee

indyclone25

here are pics of my todds bag
indybag007.jpg

indybag002.jpg

indybag003.jpg

indybag005.jpg

fenris

my look-alike bag

I saw a messenger bag while I was at the mall yesterday and bought it. It's not screen accurate... it just seemed similar to Indy's bag. It cost around $20.

Here's a picture of it.

IMG_1115.jpg

Perhaps I can change the strap to make it look more "Indy"-like; but I'm not removing the front pocket... it's too functional. I plan to use this bag for everyday use and that small front pocket is kinda handy for stowing small things.

ROB98374

I just ordered the "real" MK VII bag with leather strap from WPG, it should be here tomorrow.
Now I find out out that my wait-list Indiana Jones VS Mola Ram with Bonus Life-Size Bag converted in to an order. That is the bag I wanted originally, but didn't think I would get.
Anyone need a real MK VII bag with leather strap from WPG?

So I decided to modify the strap a bit. I'm a relatively small guy (5'3") and the 65" standard strap just hung too low for my taste. Just using the slider didn't compensate near enough unless I had it positioned so that it was on my back rather than across my chest. So I cut a few inches from the strap and punched a new hole for the Chicago screw. The bag now hangs level with my waist. Much better and much more comfortable to sit with too. Before the strap would ride up either at my shoulder or at the bag whenever I'd sit down. It felt weird and looked ridiculous. Now the bag rests neatly on my lap when I sit.

...now I just have to work up the balls to remove the center divider and make this thing practical for everyday use. At only $45, there's really no reason not to other than I don't want to have to buy a new one should I not be satisfied with the modification.

indyclone25

ResidentAlien said:
Just got my Todd's. This thing is absolutely aweeeesome. Really well-constructed and definitely functional. I'm loving it.
the bag is made very well i love my bag from todds --- i use it when i go to the zoo or out where i plan to bring my camera , maybe i'll use it more this year as a bag to carry my papers and stuff ?

The_Raiders

I have a Todds bag as well, and I love mine. I've seen its duribility first hand, I've distressed it by filling it up with rocks and then slamming a cinder block on it numerous times, and then just leaving the cinder block on it and dragging it around on concrete. And then using the zippo method to distress the strap. Then made my own roller buckle.

Dr Bones

Original Mk VII's pop up on the big auction site regularly. Seems cheaper than ordering a Todds if you are in the UK for example?

Dr Bones said:
Original Mk VII's pop up on the big auction site regularly. Seems cheaper than ordering a Todds if you are in the UK for example?

I see 'em for $40. Which is the same price as a Todd's only a Todd's comes with a bag strap. You'd have to buy a new strap if you got an original, making Todd's the better bargain. On top of that you have to deal with possible dry rot and you have to be ok with possibly ruining a 60 year old bag. I'll stick with Todd's.

Dr Bones

ResidentAlien said:
I see 'em for $40. Which is the same price as a Todd's only a Todd's comes with a bag strap. You'd have to buy a new strap if you got an original, making Todd's the better bargain. On top of that you have to deal with possible dry rot and you have to be ok with possibly ruining a 60 year old bag. I'll stick with Todd's.

Each to their own of course and you give very valid reasons.

Personally after shippping, customs duty etc, a real deal MK VII is possibly cheaper for us outside the USA.

Plus then you get the added bonus of the mods being your own work (unlikely to ruin the bag) and then there's the history of having that 60 year old screen accurate bag...to me that's part of what Indy is about. History. Indy wouldn't settle for an idol recast in resin and painted gold!

Still, I may actually use a Todd's but keep a Mk VII only as a display piece.