Les Aventures Extraordinaires d'Adèle Blanc-Sec

The trailer here: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Exci...sson-s-French-Female-Indiana-Jones-17690.html

...is far better than what's posted, just heed the warning, (or enjoy the tip).

Cool.(y)
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DKQz_Q29oIM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DKQz_Q29oIM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Lance Quazar

Though the trailer is nothing more than a series of cool shots, this looks like it could be very entertaining.

Luc Besson is a madman, so here's hoping.

Stoo

Looks great and right up my alley! The 1st trailer is much better than the 2nd one you posted here.Thanks for the heads-up, Rocket!:hat: (Finally some news about a new, Indy-type film rather than movies like "Ghostbusters 6", "Alice in Wonderland" & whatnot.:rolleyes:)

Just you to let you (and the mods) know, the correct spelling for the title is "Les Aventures Extraordinaires d'Adèle Blanc-Sec".;) Never heard of her before but this must be based on a French comic book character.

Le Saboteur

It's about time somebody posted this. If your French isn't up to snuff, here's the version with English subtitles. :hat:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a6djPGS3RCA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a6djPGS3RCA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

The trailer seems to be giving up a lot, let's hope we haven't seen it all already.

Le Saboteur said:
It's about time somebody posted this.
I never understand these types of comments, why wait for someone else to do it?

Last edited:

Le Saboteur

Rocket Surgeon said:
I never understand these types of comments, why wait for someone else to do it?

But I did post it. I thought it was here, but turns out it was on another site. I had, quite honestly, forgotten about it until today. And why our European friends haven't mentioned it before is a bit surprising.

Stoo

Le Saboteur said:
First Corto Maltese, now Adele Blanc-sec! Have you at least heard of Tin-Tin, Stoo? ;)
Of course. Tintin is the little blonde guy with feathers on his helmet. He is a Gaul and when he drinks a magic potion, goes beating up on Romans with his chubby friend (who wears striped pants).:p
Le Saboteur said:
Adele Blanc-sec is one of Jacques Tardi's more popular works.
I know of both Pratt and Tardi but have never been familiar with their characters. Unfortunately, I've not as well-informed about bandes-dessinés as you are.:eek: (Just finished watching your "Corto Maltese, La Cour Secret des Arcanes" and enjoyed it very much.(y))
Rocket Surgeon said:
The trailer seems to be giving up a lot, let's hope we haven't seen it all already.
Hopefully not but we probably have. :( It looks like an extrapolation on the last couple of chapters from Arthur Conan Doyle's, "The Lost World", with a female in the lead.

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
Of course. Tintin is the little blonde guy with feathers on his helmet. He is a Gaul and when he drinks a magic potion, goes beating up on Romans with his chubby friend (who wears striped pants).:p

Droll, Stoo, droll! He & his friend did pretty well at the Olympic Games as well.

Stoo said:
I know of both Pratt and Tardi but have never been familiar with their characters. Unfortunately, I've not as well-informed about bandes-dessinés as you are.:eek: (Just finished watching your "Corto Maltese, La Cour Secret des Arcanes" and enjoyed it very much.(y))

I spent a lot of time in Parisian comic shops. (y) After the rather disposable nature of the comics of my youth, I was deeply impressed that the French released theirs in hardbound volumes. I should have you pick up a couple of the Corto books I'm still missing! And when you finally get to Venice, Stoo, you would do well to pick up Pratt's guide to La Serenissima.

"La Cour Secret des Arcanes" gets your seal of approval? Fantastic. I'm looking forward to it if you can't find the larger box set. And, hey, at least you accent bandes-dessinés properly.

Stoo said:
Hopefully not but we probably have. :( It looks like an extrapolation on the last couple of chapters from Arthur Conan Doyle's, "The Lost World", with a female in the lead.

Well, this isn't the trailer to Clash of the Titans! Now there's a trailer that's given absolutely everything away; if you were interested is there any reason to actually go to the cinema now?

I remember a few of the scenes from the comics, but I don't think they've given everything away. We have an idea of the plot and the players, but much else. Besson seems to be walking a fine line whetting your appetite while keeping enough back.

You're not too far off the mark in the comparison to Jules Verne, Stoo. It's quite apt. I would say that Les Aventures Extrodinaires D'Adele Blanc-sec was steampunk lo-ong before steampunk was cool. In short, they occupy similar worlds and time periods.

I'm digging the teaser posters, too. It's similar to what they did for Sherlock Holmes, but it's done better.

536767.1020.A.jpg

There's an element of Night at the Museum in this one, but I really like it.

Les_Aventures_Extrodinaires_D%27Adele_Blanc-Sec_poster2.jpg

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
It looks like an extrapolation on the last couple of chapters from Arthur Conan Doyle's, "The Lost World", with a female in the lead.

Hmm... Somehow I managed to extrapolate Sir Arthur Conan Doyle right in Jules Verne. To amend what I said earlier, it's Verne with a heavy dose of Doyle. You can't go wrong with either one if you ask me.

The full synopsis:

The year is 1912. Adèle Blanc-Sec, an intrepid young reporter, will go to any lengths to achieve her aims, including sailing to Egypt to tackle mummies of all shapes and sizes.

Meanwhile, in Paris, it's panic stations! A 136 million-year old pterodactyl egg on a shelf in the natural history museum has mysteriously hatched, and the bird subjects the city to a reign of terror from the skies. But nothing fazes Adèle Blanc-Sec, whose adventures reveal many more extraordinary surprises...

Set in the carefree world before World War I, Adèle Blanc-Sec's adventures see the brave young woman fearlessly battling crooks, corrupt politicians, demon worshippers and mad scientists. Legendary cartoonist Jacques Tardi's original stories perfectly recreate the intrigue, romance and excitement of one of the most tumultuous periods in history.

Adapted and directed by Luc Besson (Arthur and the Minimoys, The Fifth Element, The Professional), Adèle's exhilarating, funny and fabulous adventures will be one of the most eagerly anticipated releases of 2010.

Lance Quazar said:
Love the second trailer. This could be terrific!

I'm hoping so! Besson is planning a trilogy based on the original nine comics, so hopefully this one is sufficiently badass!

adele_4-thumb-550x367-13642.jpg

adele_3-thumb-550x367-13641.jpg

adele_5-thumb-550x367-13643.jpg

Cool behind the scenes video:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dhDZlq6bikY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dhDZlq6bikY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Stoo said:
...Hopefully not but we probably have. :( It looks like an extrapolation on the last couple of chapters from Arthur Conan Doyle's, "The Lost World", with a female in the lead.

Love the back and forth gentlemen! My son made mention of Night at the Museum just to bring the great conversation crashing to the earth!

Lance Quazar

Le Saboteur said:
Well, this isn't the trailer to Clash of the Titans! Now there's a trailer that's given absolutely everything away; if you were interested is there any reason to actually go to the cinema now?

That's what I love about this trailer. It teases us, gives us tantalizing images and snippets, but I still am almost entirely in the dark about story specifics.

Unfortunately, our "genius" marketing folks here think we're all a bunch of hillbilly mouth-breathers who need to be spoonfed every single thing or we won't bother to go.

Heck, they're probably right. That's the reason "Clash of the Titans" even exists - everyone is so terrified about making something new that they have to retreat to the comfort of the familiar. The pathetic remake trend is shifting into even higher gear as studios become more and more afraid of risk.

Goes hand in hand with the on-the-nose-, give-everything-away marketing strategy. God forbid someone not know exactly what they're getting into.

But they're probably right. Generally speaking, we are a bunch of idiots.

Le Saboteur

Rocket Surgeon said:
Love the back and forth gentlemen! My son made mention of Night at the Museum just to bring the great conversation crashing to the earth!

But there's nothing inherently wrong about the premise of Night at the Museum. Doug Preston & Lincoln Child have essentially made a career exploiting the idea of things coming to life in museums. (See Relic & Reliquary to be specific.) It's the actual execution and race to the lowest common denominator that cocked up the picture.

You're just going to start introducing him to bigger and better works. The entire 22-volume series of Tarzan might be a good place to start if he's already been introduced to Long John Silver, The Swiss Family Robinson, and Robinson Crusoe.

I'd like to know why there isn't more interest from the other members of this board. After a week of being posted, I thought there might be more interest.

Lance Quazar said:
That's what I love about this trailer. It teases us, gives us tantalizing images and snippets, but I still am almost entirely in the dark about story specifics.

Agreed. I can remember bits and pieces from the BD -- the scene with the mummy making tea, for example -- but the story itself remains elusive. I like that. Considering that Jacques Tardi's original stories are roughly thirty years old, there's quite a few Frenchman for whom this is going to be completely new. They're definitely doing a good job in getting your attention.

Oh - I just noticed that there's an English language version of the film's site. Just click on the British flag in the bottom right hand corner, and you'll be able to check it all out. Fair warning, though; it's not completely available yet. Certain sections will open the closer we get to its French release date.

26868_393331656672_210599156672_4293655_3752265_n.jpg

26197_392325906672_210599156672_4270840_7088016_n.jpg

25845_384939761672_210599156672_4223141_7581753_n.jpg

Lance Quazar said:
Unfortunately, our "genius" marketing folks here think we're all a bunch of hillbilly mouth-breathers who need to be spoonfed every single thing or we won't bother to go.

I think it began in earnest with modern day Crusoe that Tom Hanks was in, and who's title is eluding me at the moment. It began there and continued as the cult of the celebrity swelled throughout the late nineties and early part of the Millenium.

Lance Quazar

Le Saboteur said:
I think it began in earnest with modern day Crusoe that Tom Hanks was in, and who's title is eluding me at the moment. It began there and continued as the cult of the celebrity swelled throughout the late nineties and early part of the Millenium. [/SIZE]

That was definitely one of those "give everything away" trailers, just like another Robert Zemeckis film, "What Lies Beneath." The entire first hour of that movie is a red herring that we know is false just from having seen the ads.

I don't think that the "cult of celebrity" has much to do with this trend, it's just a general trend about dumbing down movies/TV/what-have-you as budgets swell and everyone grows terrified of taking the slightest risk.

Le Saboteur

Lance Quazar said:
I don't think that the "cult of celebrity" has much to do with this trend, it's just a general trend about dumbing down movies/TV/what-have-you as budgets swell and everyone grows terrified of taking the slightest risk.

The "cult of celebrity" plays a part in the dumbing down. Specifically speaking, in terms of movie posters. How many don't feature the actor's giant disembodied head and name featured prominently or where you can't miss it? Forget the actual movie content, 'Robert Downey, Jr's in it! I should go see that.'

Last edited:

Le Saboteur

Lance Quazar said:
God bless the French, where smoking and naked breasts still have a cherished place in the adventure genre.

Ain't it great? (y)

I just felt like posting it again. But not only is there smoking, it's the female lead doing the smoking. She's allowed to have a vice, and that's really impressive.

Stoo

Le Saboteur said:
Droll, Stoo, droll! He & his friend did pretty well at the Olympic Games as well.
Asterix and Obelix were in Vancouver?!:eek:;)
Le Saboteur said:
I spent a lot of time in Parisian comic shops. (y) After the rather disposable nature of the comics of my youth, I was deeply impressed that the French released theirs in hardbound volumes. I should have you pick up a couple of the Corto books I'm still missing! And when you finally get to Venice, Stoo, you would do well to pick up Pratt's guide to La Serenissima.

"La Cour Secret des Arcanes" gets your seal of approval? Fantastic. I'm looking forward to it if you can't find the larger box set. And, hey, at least you accent bandes-dessinés properly.
I made a stop at the local BD store here to look for "Adèle Blanc-Sec" and they didn't have any. Apparently, they are too "old" and would have to order them. I *did* find Jacques Tardi's classic, "Putain de Guerre" (which basically translates as "War Whore"!:eek:) as well as 3 volumes of Corto and even a figure/picture frame of him. They are all quite pricey, though.
Le Saboteur said:
Hmm... Somehow I managed to extrapolate Sir Arthur Conan Doyle right in Jules Verne. To amend what I said earlier, it's Verne with a heavy dose of Doyle. You can't go wrong with either one if you ask me.
You might have thought of Verne because of our private conversations. I am a voracious Verne fan and absolutely love all incarnations of Doyle's "The Lost World". At the end of the original novel, a pterodactyl escapes from the Royal Zoological Society which I am reminded of when watching this trailer.
Le Saboteur said:
I'd like to know why there isn't more interest from the other members of this board. After a week of being posted, I thought there might be more interest.
Because there are no heroes with super-powers in it?:confused: Being French might have something to do with it, too. In any case, the more screentime this guy gets, the more I'm going to like it:

25845_384939761672_210599156672_4223141_7581753_n.jpg

Le Saboteur said:
But there's nothing inherently wrong about the premise of Night at the Museum. Doug Preston & Lincoln Child have essentially made a career exploiting the idea of things coming to life in museums.

You're just going to start introducing him to bigger and better works. The entire 22-volume series of Tarzan might be a good place to start if he's already been introduced to Long John Silver, The Swiss Family Robinson, and Robinson Crusoe.

I wasn't implying there was anything wrong...merely relaying a childs impressions, and likely one you'll hear in the coming days.

Right now we're going through The Three Stooges and The Little Rascals, next up Charlie Chaplin.

...and Oui!

[/QUOTE]