Best Actor: Richard Dreyfuss in Mr Holland's Opus

Best Actress: Frances McDormand in Fargo

Best Supporting Actor: Tommy Lee Jones in The Fugitive

Best Supporting Actress: Whoopi Goldberg in Ghost

Best Original Screenplay: Donnie Darko

Best Adapted Screenplay: Romeo + Juliet

Best Original Score: John Williams for Empire Strikes Back

Best Cinematography: Gladiator

PS - Joe, some woman took the 'based on a true story' part literally, went to Fargo to find the money, and froze to death in the process. There's a documentary based on the story. Read more here

Joe Brody

Kate said:
... what if Baz Luhrmann directed Indy 4?

Not a bad idea. He's got the sense of humor to carry the torch from LC and his uptempo style might be the shot in the arm that the franchise needs. Now, I'm not talking about his three-second-a-shot style that he used for 'Moulin Rouge' -- but more the style/pacing that he used for R+J. One of the biggest problems that I have with both ToD and LC is how plodding much of those two movies are. Spielberg's recent work is a little better -- but I still feel like there's too much standing around in his movies. Luhrmann understands movement and I'd like to see more from him.

Speaking of three-seconds-a-shot, that's a slight exaggeration but I'm not far off. What's the longest shot in 'Moulin Rouge'? That's basically why I don't like the film. The movie is too long to sustain that kind of activity. It hurts the eyes. I like it for some of the musical numbers but not the whole d*** movie.

Westford,

Thanks for the link. Crazy stuff. [Bad Joke] I wonder if the Coen Brothers sent the girl's family one of the Fargo pomotional snow-globes.

westford

Kate said:
Well, ahve we another Luhrmann fan here?
Yep, I saw Moulin Rouge at the cinema about 7 times. My boyfriend got fed up with me going on about it, so he took me to Paris to see the real thing! :D

Kate

You lucky lady!!

What's your favorite song in the film?

PS: palehorse, you still haven't shown your appreciation for my list. tsk, tsk.

Pale Horse

Staff member
<small>
Kate said:
Ok pale horse here we go... sorry I made you wait so long.

Best picture... "Moulin Rouge."It's completely unique, and Baz Luhrmann is a genius. There is no other movie quite like this one. An awesome achievement.

Best director.... Spielberg (cliche, I'm sorry. I knew you were hoping I'd be more original). He is THE giant in the business. So many great movies, from "Minority Report" to, of course, Indy. And no misstep but "A.I."

Best actor.... I'm gonna be wierd here and go with Bill Murray in "Groundhog Day." His transformation from selfish to selfless is brilliant. He's the rare man who is funny by NOT being funny!

Best actress.... Kelly McGillis in "Witness." She is better at acting like an Amish woman than a real Amish woman would be! (and palehorse, remind me to tell you my funny Amish story sometime)

Best supporting actor.... Joaquin Pheonix in "Gladiator." A creepy and underrated performance.

Best supporting actress... I love Catherine McCormack in "Braveheart." She is just so beautiful and inspiring. PS: Does anyone else think she looks like Eowyn from "The Lord of the Rings?"

Best original screenplay.... This is the award I want to win someday! My choice for this is unusual: "Moonlight Mile." Kind of obscure, I know, but it's extremely sharp and well-written.

Best adapted screenplay: "Big Fish." This book was effortlessly adapted for screen, so effortlessly that it feels completely original, and not like the writers were trying to be faithful to a text.

Best original score.... "The Last of the Mohicans" wins hands down. I have listened to it countless times, and it never fails to move me.

Best cinematography.... "Girl With a Pearl Earring" has by and far the most lush photography I've ever seen. There is absolutely no comparison. If you haven't seen this movie, you must. It is an incredible experience!

and now for a category of my own....

Best documentary.... "Touching the Void." It's brand-new, but by far the best documentary I've ever seen, and I have seen a lot! It's inspiring and just as thrilling as any suspense movie. I think that Raveners would really enjoy it.

Yes, I know I put a lot of new movies, but in my opinion, movies are getting better, not worse. *ducks to avoid a punch thrown by Ren.*

So there you have it.

:)
</small>

Waiting is half the fun. ;)

I must say you have a great eye for performances and pictures that are both original and quirky for lack of a better word. As I read through the lists, I can almost see the Raven personality come through each one. It's almost like gaining a picture of the person who writes the list. There is a great deal of sentimentality throughout your picks. I think that is a good quality for you, especially as you aspire to become a screenwriter. To many people fall into cynicism and the pieces become too dark (even If I like it) but the better movies seem to be more in your style.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Wait a sec, just because I'm mildly charming, comicly witty, undeniably brilliant, devastatingly handsome, unquestionably rugged, and unsurpassably modest, I don't feel like I should be deemed to be your dearest one. ;)

Kate

Don't flatter yourself, love. I'm easily the most wonderous-looking woman in the world, surpassing even Aphrodite, and I'm as kind as I am beautiful. I am also humble, modest, and charitable. You should feel lucky I call you my dearest one. ;0

westford

*ahem* get a room you guys... :p

Favourite song from Moulin Rouge would have to be either Spectacular Spectacular, or the version of Like A Virgin - cracks me up every time! :D

Strider

unsurpassably modest-apalehorse

Modest?! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!
Whew, good times. :)