Creation

Le Saboteur

You can view the trailer for the Darwin biopic "Creation" here.

The Telegraph said:
However, US distributors have resolutely passed on a film which will prove hugely divisive in a country where, according to a Gallup poll conducted in February, only 39 per cent of Americans believe in the theory of evolution.

Say what? You can read the full article on the Telegraph's site here.

creation-tiff-714131.jpg

RedeemedChild

What kind of diabolical rubbish is this? I can't believe someone would make a movie about a monkeyish madman like Darwin. However Darwin was not to mad for I saw on television that before he breathed his last breath he re-accepted Christ as his Lord and Savior.

Agent Crab

Not all Americans are Religious, either.

also.. Reedeem. Please.. watch what you say. Not everyone will accept christ as their saviour. Religious stuff shouldn't even be discussed on forums.

Some people will find anything to ***** on. Lets not forget PETA's acts about calling fish.. "Sea kittens".

Dr Bones

Consider my gob well and truly smacked.

I don't want to get into my personal beliefs..but really?!

This is one of those threads I am figting hard not to jump into...can of worms.

Barge pole...poke poke.

RedeemedChild

Lonsome_Drifter said:
That includes the theory of evolution also, eh?
Thanks, LonsomeDrifter. No matter Agent Crab, for I will not deny my God simply to appease you or anyone else. It is comman knowledge that America is a faith based nation. Both Obama and Bush are men of faith, futhermore we r free to discuss anything. We r free now and free forever.

Agent Crab

RedeemedChild said:
Thanks, LonsomeDrifter. No matter Agent Crab, for I will not deny my God simply to appease you or anyone else. It is comman knowledge that America is a faith based nation. Both Obama and Bush are men of faith, futhermore we r free to discuss anything. We r free now and free forever.

I don't think he was agreeing with you...

But I think you should can the religion lectures, boy. Not all Americans belive in god.

Religion. belifes and politics should be kept private or in blogs, rather than public forums.

WillKill4Food

Now this is genuinely disheartening, that a film, simply a biopic, about a man is considered controversial just because he used rational thought.

bennihana123

WillKill4Food said:
Now this is genuinely disheartening, that a film, simply a biopic, about a man is considered controversial just because he used rational thought.
Exactly. And for those who say America is a faith-based nation, that is exactly the opposite of what makes it so great. America is great because you get to choose what you want to believe.

PUH-LEASE!

This is a publicity stunt, for fux sake Kevin Smith Marched against Dogma!

The movie will be seen, it's probably an indication of the weakness of the film that they're resorting to this for publicity.

Deckard

RedeemedChild said:
What kind of diabolical rubbish is this? I can't believe someone would make a movie about a monkeyish madman like Darwin. However Darwin was not to mad for I saw on television that before he breathed his last breath he re-accepted Christ as his Lord and Savior.

People like yourself are why I've stopped coming here.

Le Saboteur

Lance Quazar said:
Here's an interesting alternate hypothesis -

http://www.chud.com/articles/articl...ROVERSIAL-FOR-AMERICAN-MULTIPLEXES/Page1.html

In short - maybe it's just because the movie isn't that good.

Still, I do hope we get a chance to see it and judge for ourselves.

I saw that Chud piece, Lance. Thanks for the link. It's an interesting idea, but I dunno; could be true, but like you, I hope we get to judge for ourselves. Even if it isn't that good, the built in controversy is gar-on-teed box office.

Ebert's blog entry is what piqued my interest. It's not a review, but if it's provoked this kind of discussion, I'm interested. Read it here.

Lance Quazar

Le Saboteur said:
I saw that Chud piece, Lance. Thanks for the link. It's an interesting idea, but I dunno; could be true, but like you, I hope we get to judge for ourselves. Even if it isn't that good, the built in controversy is gar-on-teed box office.

Ebert's blog entry is what piqued my interest. It's not a review, but if it's provoked this kind of discussion, I'm interested. Read it here.

Thanks for the link. I am a frequent reader of Ebert's blog and there has been a lot of discussion about Darwinism lately. Missed this piece, though, so thanks for the head's up.

Though he said he wasn't "reviewing" the film, sounds like a kind of lukewarm reaction overall.

Still, I'll definitely check it out - assuming we have the chance.

RedeemedChild

Le Saboteur said:

Well I think that controversy is good. I believe that controversy causes more people to take an interest in things. Back when Harry Potter was released I had never even heard of the series until the controversy reached a boiling point and the same thing happened with Sonia Sotomayor. I had never heard of her until the controversy reached a boiling point.

I for one have done reading and research on Charles Darwin, especially for my schooling and I've read all types of things about him. I suppose one more biographical movie could not hurt. However like the above poster has said the movie could be nothing more than flip flap but only time will tell.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I can sympathize with the moviemakers, who hitched their wagon to Darwin's 200th but have only a few months left. This reminds me of the 500th anniversary in 1992 of Columbus's boat ride, and the 2 competing cinematic dramatizations that just stunk. CHUD's right, this is Oscar bait, but not if it has BBC production values and a marginal release.

Ironically, there was a movie that called American stupid directly, Idiocracy, and some speculation that it was radioactive due to its delayed limited release on 130 screens with almost no marketing. Turns out it was just an okay movie that probably wasn't tracking well. That's showbiz!

Le Saboteur

For anybody still interested, it looks like New Market Films has picked up the U.S. distribution rights to Creation. It'll be playing in Limited Release starting 1/22/10. In short, I wouldn't expect to see it anywhere outside of major urban centers.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UEW9EjxI0ng&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UEW9EjxI0ng&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

533731.1020.A.jpg

Peru1936

That people still believe in God (but not Santa... go figure), as unfortunate as that may be, has little bearing on the film itself. It got a September UK release and is getting a January US release, which is movie studio code for "this sucks."

It doesn't look very good, though I suppose I'll see it.