If (God forbid) Harrison Ford won't play Indiana Jones past Indy 4...

jtobin13

raiders question

whwn marcus meets indy at his house is it dusk or dawn??? the scene where he packs his gun

Goodsport

jtobin13 said:
whwn marcus meets indy at his house is it dusk or dawn??? the scene where he packs his gun

From what I recall, it was dusk.

I guess I'll have to watch the movie again just to make sure, though.

-G

Dr.Sartorius said:
Other actors not likely to replace Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones:

Leonard Nimoy
George Lazenby
Roger Moore
Macaulay Culkin
Eddie Murphy
Steve Martin
Billy Crystal

How about Jackie Chan?? :p

tambourineman

Sam Worthington is about the only actor I can imagine playing Indy other than Ford. He has many of the same qualities that Ford had and has a similar look to Ford circa Raiders and so far has been on a similar career path.

Finn

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
Cool idea - Firefly was one of my favourite series! He has the same sort of humourous approach that Harrison took with Indy.
Aw, c'mon... don't tell me this was new to you!

monkey

Glad to see that there is at least a conversation about a replacement actor for Ford.

It's a start.

I've always been intrigued by the whole "Ford IS Indiana Jones" position, with no compromise......and especially those who actually, specifically DO NOT want any more Indiana Jones movies to be made......who WANT it to end.

It's kind of like suicide in a way.

I think that everyone has some kind of suicidal tendencies, and to END Indiana Jones is maybe a way to vicariously commit suicide.

Don't fear the Reaper.

Personally I like Indiana Jones. I want more movies. Ford is too old to play the character properly. So get a new actor.

Pretty simple.

Isn't it?

Montana Smith

Finn said:
Aw, c'mon... don't tell me this was new to you!

It is new to me, Finn, since I've never really considered anyone actually replacing Harrison, so I haven't followed any threads or sought out news where names have been suggested.

I loved Firefly and Serenity, and can see how Nathan could take on the role.

As monkey knows from other threads, I find the idea of replacing Harrison as difficult to imagine. I did counter my thought with the fact that I'd like to be proved wrong. Nathan could play the role in the manner of Harrison, "a big damn hero" outwardly, but roguish and fallible beneath - my definition of an anti-hero.

Gabeed

I'm a big fan of Nathan Fillion, Serenity, and Firefly as well, but . . ..I have this fear that an Indiana Jones movie starring Nathan Fillion would be more like those terrible "The Librarian" movies than Raiders of the Lost Ark. His characters are all about quirky humor, and if that were brought into an Indy movie too much, it wouldn't work. Maybe it's because he kinda looks like Noah Wyle, but I just keep thinking about those stupid Librarian movies when I think of "Nathan Fillion, Archaeologist". That said, the early episodes of Firefly certainly exhibit a darker Malcolm Reynolds character which would work better for an Indy film, and Nathan Fillion is certainly the best idea for an Indy replacement I've heard so far.

Montana Smith

Gabeed said:
I'm a big fan of Nathan Fillion, Serenity, and Firefly as well, but . . ..I have this fear that an Indiana Jones movie starring Nathan Fillion would be more like those terrible "The Librarian" movies than Raiders of the Lost Ark. His characters are all about quirky humor, and if that were brought into an Indy movie too much, it wouldn't work. Maybe it's because he kinda looks like Noah Wyle, but I just keep thinking about those stupid Librarian movies when I think of "Nathan Fillion, Archaeologist". That said, the early episodes of Firefly certainly exhibit a darker Malcolm Reynolds character which would work better for an Indy film, and Nathan Fillion is certainly the best idea for an Indy replacement I've heard so far.

I only know Fillion from Firefly and Serenity. Never saw any of the Librarian movies, but they sound similar to Relic Hunter in style.

Paden

I definitely count myself as a Firefly fan, but I'm not sure I can see Fillion filling the Jones role effectively. Granted, he did an excellent job as Mal, but to me a big aspect of that character was his background as a soldier and the obligations he felt as the leader of his crew. I'm not certain that Fillion could pull off the roguish grave robber side of Jones that well. Of course, I've underestimated actors' abilities before, so I could completely off the mark.

With regard to an earlier post by monkey, I have to concur that I don't fully understand the opposition to another actor taking up the role of Indiana Jones from Ford. Personally, I would like to see additional stories in the franchise come to the big screen and ultimately that's going to require a new performer to fill the great adventurer's shoes.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
david-boreanaz_2.jpg

David Boreanaz of television's <I>Bones</I> (and <I>Angel</I>, but I can't actually speak to that performance) has something of the appropriate old Hollywood ruggedness and charm that might be right, the "hit your mark and look the other fellow in the eye" style of acting cited by Cagney that Ford seems to follow much of the time. He knows his way around a wisecrack but has a warmth and sincerity to him too. (Of course, that latter might be something to steer away from to some extent to really take advantage of in a recasting scenario, but he feels real, is the point.)

(Not really the right sort of jacket in this photo, but as a bit of reference.)

Montana Smith

Attila the Professor said:
David Boreanaz of television's <I>Bones</I> (and <I>Angel</I>, but I can't actually speak to that performance) has something of the appropriate old Hollywood ruggedness and charm that might be right, the "hit your mark and look the other fellow in the eye" style of acting cited by Cagney that Ford seems to follow much of the time. He knows his way around a wisecrack but has a warmth and sincerity to him too. (Of course, that latter might be something to steer away from to some extent to really take advantage of in a recasting scenario, but he feels real, is the point.)

(Not really the right sort of jacket in this photo, but as a bit of reference.)

...and Sarah Michelle Gellar could be his Marion. They already have an on-screen chemistry from Buffy, where she played a feisty female with a good right hook. And Anthony Stewart Head for the role of Marcus.

Last edited:

StoneTriple

I stand by my original thoughts on a replacement; http://raven.theraider.net/showpost.php?p=419718&postcount=74

I think it would work just fine. It's worked well with Bond, it could certainly work with Indiana Jones. No denying it would be weird at first - Harrison Ford has been Indiana Jones for me for nearly 30 years. However, as long as it's a well-written story and a solid film, I'd be on board.

The bulk of my Indiana Jones world consists of the novels anyway. I read those much more often than I watch the films, so I'm not a Ford-or-nothing person. I'd like to see them turn some of the novels into films. There are some great stories and characters there.