Why do you HATE Short Round?

The most frequent objections to, and common example of racism cited in Temple of Doom is the portrayal of Indians, despite the horrifying true story of Lalita Tati.

Short Round is by far the most exploited stereotype in Temple of Doom, head to toe...from his pronunciation right down to his tiny karate kicking feet.

He's been listed as one of "7 Worst Sidekicks In TV And Film"

Leo Getz in one of the other Lethal Weapons.

C-3PO/ Jar Jar Binks.

Steve Urkel.

Chris Tucker as Ruby Rhod in "The Fifth Element"

Herman Ferguson in “Judge Dredd”

George Costanza

...and Short Round.

Some fine company.

Why do you hate him?

Last edited:

Montana Smith

He smacked of being the token Asian kid, who being Asian was inevitably a martial arts expert.

He was also precocious.

Annoying like the BMX Bandits.

Or The Goonies.

Finn

Staff member
I'm neutral towards Shorty.

Though if I had to pick between confessing either my love or hate towards cute little Asian boys, well... then, hate. Definitely hate.

EDIT: There actually was a thread here that presented an interpretation of Shorty's character in a more... Oidipal sense. It turned to a primo breeding ground for snark. As expected.

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Rocko, you forgot to copy the wholesome goodness for posterity:

Short Round.

Willie Scott is the most annoying character hands down in “Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom,” but she is more of a love interest than a sidekick. Short Round fits the bill though in the annoying sidekick department. He is a byproduct of Steven Spielberg's penchant for inserting child actors into his movies who have nothing better to do than whine, scream, spout dopey one-liners and generally get in the way.

Finn

Staff member
He is a byproduct of Steven Spielberg's penchant for inserting child actors into his movies who have nothing better to do than whine, scream, spout dopey one-liners and generally get in the way.
Guess they finally figured out what was wrong with E.T., huh?

JayDee

I don´t hate him. He acts like I would when I would be a little pants ****ter again and could have adventures with Indiana Jones.

He´s just a kid.

Mickiana

In contrast to Raiders, we got characters like Willie and Short Round who didn't need dignity or class, but that's what the script called for I guess....

Darth Vile

I don't hate him at all... in fact I think he's an endearing little sidekick (in isolation). The problem I have is what that character represents for the movie i.e. it was simply playing to the cheap seats? kids would relate to him and parents/adults would think him cute.

From a very straight forward movie making perspective; it?s a mechanism to increase peril... as Indy must not only look after himself, but also the child in his charge. However, there is no real substance behind that relationship. I think the subtext of something like Aliens in comparrison, and the relationship between Ripley and Newt, is much more powerful for the narrative? but obviously it?s designed to be.

Stoo

michael said:
Hate Short Round??

Only the heartless.
When "Doom" first came out, I hated Short Round. Why? Well, it wasn't because Mola Ram pulled my heart out...:p

I'd like to simply say he´s just a kid, but he wasn't.
He wasn't a kid and he didn't need Indy, he knew KARATE!

Newt in Aliens was just a kid. She was simply:
Darth Vile said:
a mechanism to increase peril...
Never liked those:
The Drifter said:
"Hold on to your potatoes!" and "Okie-dokie, Docta Jones!".
...lines.

The card game was ok but putting in another character to "identify with" just waters down Indy. He's got to be protector and that resigns him to a reactionary role. Like if he had to save his dad or the skull took his will. Indy can't be Indy, he's immediately being restrained by some dumb broad and a kid.

Playin with Shorty was just NO FUN.
Mickiana said:
In contrast to Raiders, we got characters like Willie and Short Round who didn't need dignity or class, but that's what the script called for I guess....
Whereas in Raiders kids acted like kids...
michael said:
Hate Short Round?? Only the heartless.
What reason did Shorty or Spielberg for that matter, give you to like him? He was a little thief.
Stoo said:
When "Doom" first came out, I hated Short Round. Why? Well, it wasn't because Mola Ram pulled my heart out...:p
Willie stole your heart?

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
I'd like to simply say he´s just a kid, but he wasn't.
He wasn't a kid and he didn't need Indy, he knew KARATE!

What made him creepier was his belief that he was Indy's bodyguard.

Rocket Surgeon said:
Newt in Aliens was just a kid.

She was much more acceptable. A tough little survivor, yet still a frightened child under the bravado.

Was the "Hold onto your potatoes" directed at Willie?

Rocket Surgeon said:
The card game was ok but putting in another character to "identify with" just waters down Indy. He's got to be protector and that resigns him to a reactionary role. Like if he had to save his dad or the skull took his will. Indy can't be Indy, he's immediately being restrained by some dumb broad and a kid.

Playin with Shorty was just NO FUN.

Not much fun when the brat's the hero and Indy's the zombiefied villain.

Rocket Surgeon said:
What reason did Shorty or Spielberg for that matter, give you to like him? He was a little thief.

The only sympathy angle is of the orphan surviving on those deadly streets. However, since he's so accomplished at surviving, and so unafraid, he loses the sympathy and vulnerability that would be associated with Newt's predicament.

Montana Smith said:
What made him creepier was his belief that he was Indy's bodyguard.
...and his sardonic talent agent: You listen to So Wah Mu...

Montana Smith said:
She was much more acceptable. A tough little survivor, yet still a frightened child under the bravado.
She acted like a child.

Montana Smith said:
Was the "Hold onto your potatoes" directed at Willie?
If you were to take anything in the film seriously I would say: "No time for love" negates that...

Which ups the creep factor and implies two things: he's comfortable making up Americanized slang for testicles, (or British;) ), or he's never been breast fed.

Maybe three things, possibly Indy's given him some reason to see it that way...
Its an uncomfortable moment for a child to make such declarations and not cute or endearing.

Montana Smith said:
Not much fun when the brat's the hero and Indy's the zombiefied villain.
Think of the possibilities if they didn't go ham handed and take the easy way out. The only plausible action sequence they created to showcase Shorty hinges on belief in VooDoo, not even drugs/the power of suggestion!

Montana Smith said:
The only sympathy angle is of the orphan surviving on those deadly streets. However, since he's so accomplished at surviving, and so unafraid, he loses the sympathy and vulnerability...
Great point, one I don't think has been touched upon. Sadly its those moments like "no time for love: and "thats all you better do" which make me feel sorry for him.

For a child to have any such perspective is creepy, its oddly funny that they would feed him such lines considering them humor. What a disconnect.:sick:

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
...and his sardonic talent agent: You listen to So Wah Mu...

She acted like a child.

If you were to take anything in the film seriously I would say: "No time for love" negates that...

Which ups the creep factor and implies two things: he's comfortable making up Americanized slang for testicles, (or British;) ), or he's never been breast fed.

Maybe three things, possibly Indy's given him some reason to see it that way...
Its an uncomfortable moment for a child to make such declarations and not cute or endearing.

Think of the possibilities if they didn't go ham handed and take the easy way out. The only plausible action sequence they created to showcase Shorty hinges on belief in VooDoo, not even drugs/the power of suggestion!

Great point, one I don't think has been touched upon. Sadly its those moments like "no time for love: and "thats all you better do" which make me feel sorry for him.

For a child to have any such perspective is creepy, its oddly funny that they would feed him such lines considering them humor. What a disconnect.:sick:

Aside from the interesting bit of back story in the novelization - with Shorty 'borrowing' the car from the guy on holiday - things get even creepier. He thinks his baby elephant is the incarnation of a god!

Last edited:
Montana Smith said:
Aside from the interesting bit of back story in the novelization - with Shorty 'borrowing' the car from the guy on holiday - things get even creepier. He thinks his baby elephant is the incarnation of a god!
Its like they DARE you to dislike a child...