Indiana Jones 5: July 19, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Jonesy

2013? That was when Harrison turned 70 - and that was the bar, for me.

I was always saying that an Indy 5 film should've been made between 2010-2013 at the latest because of Harrison's age.

We were debating "Is he too old?" when it was 2003 - and this film will be out 16 years even after that. I just can't believe they didn't learn to not procrastinate on a 5th after they did so with the 4th for 19 years.

Just...too little, too late. Will I see it? Sure. But I'm not really looking forward to it.

I'd rather have a killer Indiana Jones One/PS4 game, personally.

Johnny Nys

Ford is two years older than my dad. I just spent a week hiking with my dad in the Austrian mountains. While I don't see my dad actually running, jumping over obstacles, engage in hand to hand combat, or other typical adventure movie heroic stuff, I'm often impressed by what he can still do. A couple of years ago he pretty much saved my aunt's life; she went along on that year's hiking trip, lost her balance at the top of a cliff and started falling backwards, when my dad turned and grabbed the end of her walking stick.

The Indy movies, and movies in general, try to impress the public with the heroic feats of their characters. Impressing people is hard to do, even more so as time goes by and we witness more and more, bigger and better (not saying they always succeed in that, of course). Indy is a man of action, but also a resourceful one. When his physical capacity isn't up to par, he resorts to his wits. A clever Indy movie would be very much to my liking; let him use his surroundings and available objects to survive instead of his fists. Put that in an engaging mystery story, something relatable, something that truly makes you go, "Oh, wow!" (like the Grail, like the Ark, like Atlantis) and I'd be very happy with that.

Z dweller

Dr.Sartorius said:
2019 is feeling really far away. :(
That's because it is.

Frankly, I wonder if Disney would have been better off waiting at least a year to make the announcement, rather than putting it out so early.

All we know at this stage is that Ford will be immensely old by the time Indy 5 gets finally shot, and that is NOT an uplifting thought in any way, shape or form.

And now brace for the unrelenting onslaught of Ford fundamentalists and apologists telling us that he actually looks great for his age. :rolleyes:

Wilhelm

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jul/16/steven-spielberg-kids-can-do-anything-bfg

"Recently, while completing post-production on his new adaptation of Roald Dahl?s The BFG, and getting ready to shoot the virtual-reality sci-fi thriller Ready Player One, while also in talks with Tony Kushner on another script, he exchanged emails with the screenwriter David Koepp about ideas for a fifth Indiana Jones sequel. ?I said, ?I know you?re mixing and prepping and doing interviews,? ? Koepp recalls. ??Do you have the head space for this? You may be trying to do air traffic control in your head right now.? He wrote back and said, ?Let me worry about the air traffic control, you circle and chatter.? OK, here you go. I dumped all my ideas on him. There?s a remarkable amount of head space.?

Dr.Sartorius

Z dweller said:
That's because it is.

Frankly, I wonder if Disney would have been better off waiting at least a year to make the announcement, rather than putting it out so early.

All we know at this stage is that Ford will be immensely old by the time Indy 5 gets finally shot, and that is NOT an uplifting thought in any way, shape or form.

And now brace for the unrelenting onslaught of Ford fundamentalists and apologists telling us that he actually looks great for his age. :rolleyes:

I beginning to agree with you. :( I wish they fast tracked this instead of dragging out the production schedule. This should have been Spielberg's priority instead of Ready Player One and that Kidnapping movie.

IndyForever

So its obvious all the ideas are new ones Lucas is not directly involved if Spielberg says he dumped all his story ideas onto Koepp does not sound very encouraging to me somehow.

curmudgeon

IndyForever said:
So its obvious all the ideas are new ones Lucas is not directly involved if Spielberg says he dumped all his story ideas onto Koepp does not sound very encouraging to me somehow.

You misread that. Koepp is the one saying that he dumped all his ideas on Spielberg.

?I said, ?I know you?re mixing and prepping and doing interviews,? ? Koepp recalls. ??Do you have the head space for this? You may be trying to do air traffic control in your head right now.? He wrote back and said, ?Let me worry about the air traffic control, you circle and chatter.? OK, here you go. I dumped all my ideas on him. There?s a remarkable amount of head space.?

Pale Horse

Staff member
curmudgeon said:
You misread that. Koepp is the one saying that he dumped all his ideas on Spielberg.

Or better yet:

INT: Noir lit upshot office. One Man, shrouded in cigarette smoke is taking into a corded phone. His voice is rasped, panicked. Desperate.

Koepp
I know you’re mixing and prepping and doing interviews,
do you have the head space for this? You may be trying to
do air traffic control in your head right now.

Spielberg
Let me worry about the air traffic control, you circle and chatter.

Keopp
OK, here you go.

Keopp spends the next three days dumping Indy V into the vast brain that is Steven Spielberg.

Keopp
There’s a remarkable amount of head space.

IndyForever

That's even worse then SS is dumping a shopping list just like KOTCS & asking Koepp to join those together into a filmable story. Its so obvious they have no overall real direction just a desire to make one more movie with Harrison & better than KOTCS.

I hope it does justice to the character and is closer in tone to TLC than any of the other movies.

Randy_Flagg

IndyForever said:
That's even worse then SS is dumping a shopping list just like KOTCS & asking Koepp to join those together into a filmable story. Its so obvious they have no overall real direction just a desire to make one more movie with Harrison & better than KOTCS.

I hope it does justice to the character and is closer in tone to TLC than any of the other movies.

I don't know if I want them to aim for the TLC tone, since that's exactly what they aimed for with KOTCS. I'd rather they either aim for Raiders' tone (less goofy comedy than TLC or KOTCS), or perhaps even better, just go for an all-new tone, like they did when they made TOD. Considering how much older Harrison is now, aiming for something new might make the most sense, rather than trying to re-capture something he was doing 30 years ago.

Walecs

Randy_Flagg said:
I don't know if I want them to aim for the TLC tone, since that's exactly what they aimed for with KOTCS. I'd rather they either aim for Raiders' tone (less goofy comedy than TLC or KOTCS), or perhaps even better, just go for an all-new tone, like they did when they made TOD. Considering how much older Harrison is now, aiming for something new might make the most sense, rather than trying to re-capture something he was doing 30 years ago.

100% agree. :whip:

Silvor

I find it interesting when I see people prefer the darker style from Raiders compared to the lighter vibe from the later films. I assume it's because that's the first one they saw?

Personally my first Indy was either Temple or Crusade (I actually can't remember) so to me Indy is supposed to be a bit lighter than he was in Raiders, which to me made him a bit too dark and brooding at times.
It actually felt a little out of character to me when I saw Raiders for the first time (I actually watched it last).

I remember that the original plan was for Indy to be more hard and gruff but they seemed to soften him up a bit from that even in Raiders, and by now the lighter more comedic Indy has 3 movies, so in a way he's more established as that than the darker moody Raiders version.

It's going to be very interesting to see which way they go with Indy 5.
I actually wouldn't mind if they went with a more serious tone for Fords last one.

Randy_Flagg

Silvor said:
I find it interesting when I see people prefer the darker style from Raiders compared to the lighter vibe from the later films. I assume it's because that's the first one they saw?

Personally my first Indy was either Temple or Crusade (I actually can't remember) so to me Indy is supposed to be a bit lighter than he was in Raiders, which to me made him a bit too dark and brooding at times.
It actually felt a little out of character to me when I saw Raiders for the first time (I actually watched it last).

I remember that the original plan was for Indy to be more hard and gruff but they seemed to soften him up a bit from that even in Raiders, and by now the lighter more comedic Indy has 3 movies, so in a way he's more established as that than the darker moody Raiders version.

It's going to be very interesting to see which way they go with Indy 5.
I actually wouldn't mind if they went with a more serious tone for Fords last one.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want an Indy movie without any humor. It's just that I felt TLC and KOTCS got a bit goofy at times, with Indy falling down stairs, tripping over bicycles, saying "wubble yous" etc. The character we saw in Raiders and TOD had some funny moments, but the style of humor was different, and it was one I slightly preferred. Maybe, as you said, it's because I saw Raiders and TOD first, so to me, the more slapstick version of Indy felt out of character.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
http://collider.com/frank-marshall-jason-bourne-jurassic-world-2-indiana-jones-interview
Frank Marshall:

Q: I definitely want to jump on another subject really quickly, at the Star Wars Celebration over the weekend they were talking a little bit about how Disney is talking about an Indiana Jones movie universe. Did you see those quotes?

MARSHALL: I have not seen those quotes.

Q: I guess someone at Lucasfilm was talking about how it could be like an Indy movie universe, so there could be movies that exist in that world of Indiana Jones, and I was gonna ask you if you could sort of clarify that or is this coming out of left field to you?

MARSHALL: It?s coming out of left field. It makes sense that they want to, now that they have the universe, that they want to turn it into something like they have with Star Wars. So it?s not surprising but they haven?t had any discussions with me, so I don?t know.

Q: Anything Harrison Ford is involved with I?m all in, and the fact that you guys are talking about doing another Indiana Jones excites me. What can you tell people about where you?re at in that development process?

MARSHALL: I?m excited too, it?s my favorite franchise that I?ve worked on and certainly did a lot of landmark things for me on Raiders. We?re still way early in the process, we?ve hired a writer, David Koepp, and Steven [Spielberg] is out filming another movie now and the rest of us are on our current projects. So it?s in a very, very infant, beginning stages so there?s really not much to report.

Raiders90

I have a question:
Why did they announce Indy 5 so soon? As I recall, we had tons of rumors, but no official confirmation of KOTCS being in production until January 2007 - only a year and a half before it came out. I am like 99% certain I remember there being the official announcement around early-mid January of that year, and before that, we only had whispers, rumors and speculation. And cameras had only just started rolling, or were about to, when we got the news.

So the question is, why, when we're not even really in pre-production even, we're in the early concept phase - they don't even have a firm script yet, just a ton of ideas - Why announce it when it's three years away from release, and two years away from even being filmed? Why put a firm release date down when there probably isn't even a first draft script or even a story synopsis written?

I don't mean to sound morbid, but a lot can happen between today and the film's shooting year, 2018. This year, and last, have been pretty brutal in terms of celebrity deaths, and Harrison isn't getting any younger. Again, I'm not trying to be morbid, just realistic.|

Also, why push it so far down the road? Is 2018 really the earliest Spielberg and Harrison will be available to shoot this thing? As I see it, Steven began shooting one film this year, and will probably wrap production early next year. He has his long awaited other project which he'll film next year - but shouldn't Indy 5 take precedence in the lineup, given the ages of everyone involved and the fact that it's more important financially? If so, we'd have Indy 5 a year earlier at least. It'd be a two year wait rather than three.

Last edited:

Dr.Sartorius

Raiders112390 said:
I have a question:
Why did they announce Indy 5 so soon? As I recall, we had tons of rumors, but no official confirmation of KOTCS being in production until January 2007 - only a year and a half before it came out. I am like 99% certain I remember there being the official announcement around early-mid January of that year, and before that, we only had whispers, rumors and speculation. And cameras had only just started rolling, or were about to, when we got the news.

So the question is, why, when we're not even really in pre-production even, we're in the early concept phase - they don't even have a firm script yet, just a ton of ideas - Why announce it when it's three years away from release, and two years away from even being filmed? Why put a firm release date down when there probably isn't even a first draft script or even a story synopsis written?

I don't mean to sound morbid, but a lot can happen between today and the film's shooting year, 2018. This year, and last, have been pretty brutal in terms of celebrity deaths, and Harrison isn't getting any younger. Again, I'm not trying to be morbid, just realistic.|

Also, why push it so far down the road? Is 2018 really the earliest Spielberg and Harrison will be available to shoot this thing? As I see it, Steven began shooting one film this year, and will probably wrap production early next year. He has his long awaited other project which he'll film next year - but shouldn't Indy 5 take precedence in the lineup, given the ages of everyone involved and the fact that it's more important financially? If so, we'd have Indy 5 a year earlier at least. It'd be a two year wait rather than three.

(y) Couldn't agree more.

Status
Not open for further replies.