Alden 405 boots are great, but...

Mickiana

I find the tongues of the shoes slip sideways to the outside side of the shoes under the laces. I would prefer they stayed in the middle, under the whole lace up area, but it seems to be a design deficiency that they don't do that. Has anyone else experienced this?

davros72

A suggestion put forth on the Club Obi-Wan forums at indygear.com recommends stitching one side of the tongue to one side of the boot. I'm not explaining this clearly at all, am I? Head to indygear.com and search the forums for "tongue" and I think you'll find it.

I've experienced the problem myself, but am not crafty enough, nor have I pestered my wife to fix it for me, I just put up with it.

Mickiana

To any and all readers, I went to a local cobbler today and he stitched the tongues on one side - the side away from the direction they were falling - for about an inch, using the stitching already on the boots. 5 minutes and done! Thanks again Davros72 for the pointers to COW where there are plenty of good discussions on this very problem. The cobbler wasn't going to charge anything for this, so I gave him $10 just for his good will.