Attila the Professor

Staff member
Hmm, all right.

5. Strangers on a Train
4. Rear Window
3. North by Northwest
2. Psycho
1. Vertigo

This occurs to me at the moment, anyhow. I really didn't care for To Catch a Thief, and I recognize certain parts of Notorious as worthwhile (the last moment with Claude Rains is gold) but I've never quite gotten into it - I think it's because of Ingrid Bergman, who I've never managed to like very much.

Eric Solo

I never saw N X NW or the Birds, but here's my list:

1. Psycho
2. Rear Window
3. Vertigo
4. Frenzy
5. ?

Niteshade007

I can only pick 5?

1. Rear Window - Hitchcock's masterpiece, far superior to Vertigo
2. North by Northwest - Hitch's best take on the "man wrongly accused," genre, and by far his most enjoyable film to watch
3. The Birds - Classic horror film
4. The Man Who Knew Too Much - great performances by both Stewart and (much to my surprise) Doris Day.
5. Psycho - This movie still terrifies me.

Vertigo, while beautiful to watch, is dull, and with the biggest plotholes I have ever seen in a film. Hitchcock's other favorite, Shadow of a Doubt, is good, but I don't understand why it's his favorite. To me, it wasn't anything spectacular.

AndyLGR

In no particular order:

The 39 Steps
Strangers on a Train
North by Northwest
Rear Window
The man who Knew too Much (I prefer the remake with James Stewart over his original version)

eazybox

Short Round said:
What are your top 5 Hitchcock films?

5. Vertigo
4. North by Northwest
3. The Birds
2. Rear Window
1. Psycho

My favorites match these, but in a different order:

PSYCHO
VERTIGO
NORTH BY NORTHWEST
THE BIRDS
REAR WINDOW

Hitchcock claimed PSYCHO was really a comedy, but it scared me so badly that it took a couple of viewings before I saw what he meant. Although the original TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE is nowhere near as good a film as PSYCHO in my opinion, it shares that same quality of submerged humor that becomes obvious only after you stop shuddering.

The fusion of sound and imagery in PSYCHO is masterful; Bernard Herrmann's score has been ripped off so often that it may seem cliched now, but was greatly innovative at the time PSYCH was made.

Although Hitchcock usually receives all the credit for PSYCHO, the film actually follows Robert Bloch's original novel very closely; the most effective change Hitchcock made, in my opinion, was to alter Norman Bates from the novel's pudgy middle-aged man to the younger and more sympathetic Norman as played by Anthony Perkins.

PSYCHO would certainly be in my top ten list of all-time favorite movies.

Jack

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Might as well revise my list...

5. Strangers on a Train
4. Vertigo
3. North by Northwest
2. The 39 Steps
1. Psycho

The rankings are haphazard, but they'll do.

RedeemedChild

Well I have never really cared for Alfred Hitchcock's other works but I do know that I really, really enjoyed The Birds and I think that out of all the works of Hitchcock that The Birds is the greatest.

Matinee Idyll

RedeemedChild said:
Well I have never really cared for Alfred Hitchcock's other works

...And which of his 'other works' have you actually seen?

My Top 5:

The Lodger (1927)
The 39 Steps (1937)
The Lady Vanishes (1938)
Rebecca (1940)
Rear Window (1954)

00Kevin

Indyfan
5 psycho
4 rear window
3 the man who knew too much (jimmy stewart)
2 north by north west
1 Vertigo <-one of my favorite films

i feel pretty strong about the top 4, #5 could have been a toss up

btw, anyone every seen these hitchcock-like films of the 60's: Charade and Mirage?