End Credits music - original broadcasts

T.E.Lawrence

I have just watched today few of the original broadcasts episodes that I have in my archive together with old Indy sections. It is great that on some episodes on the end credits there is a lots of unreleased music and also the music that is not present on the DVD versions.

I can remember that few years ago there was a version of arround 25 DVD's done by excellent user "beowulf_prime_2001" that was a direct transfer from VHS SP STEREO recordings. But infortunately I don't have current email address of beowulf. He was active, like lots of others at Young Indy forum at the time here:

http://www.innermind.com/youngindy/bbs/bbs.htm

Unfortunately I have some original brodcasts in VHS SP MONO and the sound quality is bad. I am trying to locate BeowulfIf or anyone that has those DVD versions done by Beowulf so it would be great to extract also all the music from original brodcasts and to add them to the excellent compilation of DVD credits already done by Tash.

If anyone has any other info or lead to add to this it would be great.

Best Wishes.

Last edited:

Stoo

I was recently going through my originals to compare them with InexorableTash's DVD extracts. Eventually, I'll make .MP3s of them...

Good news: I have them all. Some are in stereo.
Bad news: Some are in mono and the episodes recorded from ABC have that danged announcer talking over the music! ("Coming up next, The Commish", etc.):mad:

fommes

I know, I've been meaning to look up what I've got and rip it for a while now but haven't got around to it yet (and probably won't any time before June). I do know I have a few though, but some of them are cut short (the commercial nets have a habit of not showing the end credits over here - not even in the case of Johnny English or X-Men 3 where there's a scene after the credits). I'll have to look into this soon, perhaps with combined forces we get there.

I've also never been able to contact this beowulf, unfortunately.

Stoo

Well, so much for getting clean music from the end credits on my copies. Damned announcers or sound drop-outs on almost every, single one. The four Family Channel films are the same as the DVDs.

x = bad
> = good

x 0:54 Curse of the Jackal CFCF CTV (announcer)
x 0:10 Florence, May 1908 TBS (announcer + incomplete)
>0:38 Florence, May 1908 K2 (incomplete but good sound)
x 0:39 Paris, September 1908 CJOH CTV (announcer)
x 0:41 Vienna, November 1908 WMTW ABC (announcer + silent gap)
x 0:38 British East Africa, September 1909 WMTW ABC (announcer)
x 0:40 Benares, January 1910 WMTW ABC (announcer)
x 0:40 Peking, March 1910 WMTW ABC (announcer)
>0:57 Travels With Father FAMILY CHANNEL
x 0:36 Princeton, February 1916 WMTW ABC (announcer + incomplete?)
x 0:42 Ireland, April 1916 WMTW ABC (announcer)
x 0:32 London, May 1916 WMTW ABC (announcer + incomplete?)
x 0:41 Somme, Early August 1916 CFCF CTV (announcer)
x 0:41 Germany, Mid-August 1916 WMTW ABC (announcer)
x 0:32 Verdun, September 1916 WMTW ABC (announcer+ incomplete?)
x 0:41 Paris, October 1916 WMTW ABC (silent gap)
x 0:41 Phantom Train of Doom CJOH CTV (announcer)
x 0:41 German East Africa, December 1916 WMTW ABC (announcer)
x 0:38 Congo, January 1916 WMTW ABC (announcer)
>0:55 Attack of the Hawkmen FAMILY CHANNEL
x 0:40 Austria, March 1917 CFCF CTV??? (announcer)
>0:39 Barcelona, May 1917 station ???
x 0:41 Petrograd, July 1917 WMTW ABC (announcer + silent gap)
>0:40 Prague, August 1917 ORF1
>0:41 Palestine, October 1917 ORF1
>0:41 Transylvania, January 1918 ORF1
x 0:06 Transylvania, January 1918 K2 (incomplete but good sound)
x 0:40 Northern Italy, June 1918 WMTW ABC (announcer + silent gap)
x 0:38 Istanbul, September 1918 WMTW ABC (announcer + silent gap)
>0:59 Treasure of the Peacock?s Eye FAMILY CHANNEL
x 0:37 Paris, May 1919 WMTW ABC (announcer + silent gap)
x 0:50 Mystery of the Blues WMTW ABC (announcer + silent gap)
x 0:08 Chicago, April 1920 SKY 1 (announcer + incomplete)
x 0:38 Chicago, May 1920 SKY 1 (announcer)
>0:40 Scandal of 1920 CFCF CTV???
------ New York City, June 1920 K2
>0:38 New York City, July 1920 K2
>1:08 Hollywood Follies FAMILY CHANNEL

T.E.Lawrence

Stoo said:
Well, so much for getting clean music from the end credits on my copies. Damned announcers or sound drop-outs on almost every, single one.

<snip>

Ok here are the updates. I was not successful to reestablish contact with "Beowulf" but I was lucky enough to track down one good and noble colleague who has the entire set sent few years to him from Beowulf. The DVD's are on my way over snail mail and soon as I receive them I will give you end credits situation. He told me that some of the episodes have also voice over at the end credits (probably there are some episodes there from UK SKY too which is notorious for voice overs at end credits).

Anyway in my home at another town I have 13 episodes on VHS MONO with the clean end credits (altough it is MONO) so I will see the final outome when I put all together. Hopefuly with combined forces we will get there.

Stay Tuned.
The Alternative is Unthinkable

T.E.Lawrence

Ok finaly I was able to get Beowulf's complete set of Young Indy DVD's (original broadcasts).

I am in the process of creating OLD INY DVD's with MENUs and YOUNG INDY TV PROMOS DVD with MENUs.

Now I am also working on the end credits as I have mentioned. So far I was able to process 8 episodes. Unfortunately on my side most episodes are also with voice overs.

So far only clean episodes are:

FLORENCE - copy from SKY - but it is MONO so the quality is not so good but it will do.

BRITISH EAST AFRICA - no voice over - STEREO - good copy.

As the progress continues I will update list like Stoo...and after that if anyone is interested we can upload the tracks and continue to share until the project will be completed.

Some end credits can be also reconstructed with audio editing thanks to
so far released official music.

If anyone is also able to contribute that would be great.

Stay Tuned.

Webley

Dam Stoo, you never seize to amaze me with all your information on The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles :hat:

fommes

I know I have a few without voice-overs. But many of them have been cut off before the end - as is the habit here with the commercial channels, unfortunately.
I'll look into this in July! (Hopefully earlier, but don't get your hopes up.) (And I just saw my previous post in this thread, I keep postponing this, shame on me...)

T.E.Lawrence

T.E.Lawrence said:
<snip>

I am in the process of creating OLD INY DVD's with MENUs and YOUNG INDY TV PROMOS DVD with MENUs.

Now I am also working on the end credits as I have mentioned. So far I was able to process 8 episodes. Unfortunately on my side most episodes are also with voice overs.

So far only clean episodes are:

FLORENCE - copy from SKY - but it is MONO so the quality is not so good but it will do.

BRITISH EAST AFRICA - no voice over - STEREO - good copy.

<snip>

Updates...
So far I processed 14 Beowulf's DVD's.
Unfortunately for now only 3 clean episodes:
As previously mentioned British East Africa and Florence and I find out just on the 14th DVD another without voice over.
It is PRAGUE episode.

All audios are extracted as 320kps.

Stay tuned.
Arround 11 DVD's to go.

fommes

Cheers!

If possible, of course, could you perhaps encode them in a lossless format instead? (Apple lossless or FLAC?)

Stoo

T.E.Lawrence said:

Some end credits can be also reconstructed with audio editing thanks to
so far released official music.
We could do that (until something better comes along). Fommes' copy of "Florence" from K2 has excellent sound but it's missing the last 2-3 secs. I'm pretty sure it's stereo but will have to re-check. Good news about your clean, stereo "B.E. Africa"! Way to go, T.E.! Is your "Prague" stereo? Mine is also clean but I think it's mono.

Webley said:
Dam Stoo, you never seize to amaze me with all your information on The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
Welcome back, Webley!:gun:

fommes said:
I know I have a few without voice-overs. But many of them have been cut off before the end - as is the habit here with the commercial channels, unfortunately.
I'll look into this in July! (Hopefully earlier, but don't get your hopes up.) (And I just saw my previous post in this thread, I keep postponing this, shame on me...)
Whenever you have the chance, fommesy-baby. You're not the only one who's been postponing things.;):eek: Anyway, the sound & image quality on your transfers are pristine! What tapes/equipment did you use? All of my originals were recorded SP, primarily on Kodak VHS using a Toshiba VCR. CTV would broadcast in stereo but unfortunately, they all have the pesky announcers. If I remember correctly, ABC was broadcasting the show in mono. (I traded for the Family Channel movies and Euro episodes so they are 1st gen. copies with degraded sound.)

Since we're talking audio, one of my fondest memories of watching the series is a direct testament to it's amazing sound: We had our main TV hooked up to the stereo which had 2 gigantic speakers and 2 smaller ones, so we had our own quadrophonic, home-theatre-thing going on...The 3rd week into the show was "Verdun", I had the volume cranked up really loud and the lights off. When the French charged the German line, bulletfire erupted in every corner of the room and seemed to be ricocheting off the walls!:eek: Coupled with the stunning visuals and sweeping soundtrack, it was an immersive experience and was way above & beyond other TV programs at the time. (This episode was a big topic of conversation at work the next day.)

fommes

I got them on a few Panasonic (mostly) video cassettes, recorded on Panasonic VCR back in the day. I think it's broadcast in stereo, yes. I should have had more of them on VCR, but I think I either recorded them too late or we didn't have a VCR yet for the earlier episodes. I regret that now of course. So I was very happy to buy all six of those original Paramount video cassettes last year - of those 12 episodes, btw, I've got the end credits entirely clean, of course.

T.E.Lawrence

fommes said:
Cheers!

If possible, of course, could you perhaps encode them in a lossless format instead? (Apple lossless or FLAC?)

Hi Fommes.
Yes no problem...I will encode them in FLAC or APE.

I am a little bit in the rush so I will get back to thread and other questions. I think in the next 7-10 days I will process all DVD's.

Stay tuned.

Stoo

fommes said:
So I was very happy to buy all six of those original Paramount video cassettes last year - of those 12 episodes, btw, I've got the end credits entirely clean, of course.
Do you mean you have the early "Chronicles" Euro VHS series?(y) That would mean clean/stereo end-credit music for:

Curse of the Jackal
London
Vienna
Verdun
Austria
German East Africa
Congo
The Somme
Germany
Barcelona
British East Africa

P.S. Small clarification (not that it really matters): I forgot...my series was recorded on a Mitsubishi VCR (GREAT PRODUCT) but it eventually died and I transferred the episodes to DVD via the Toshiba.

@T.E.Lawrence: (y)

@Webley: "You're watching ABC. WMTW, Poland Springs, Maine."

T.E.Lawrence

fommes said:
I got them on a few Panasonic (mostly) video cassettes, recorded on Panasonic VCR back in the day. I think it's broadcast in stereo, yes. I should have had more of them on VCR, but I think I either recorded them too late or we didn't have a VCR yet for the earlier episodes. I regret that now of course. So I was very happy to buy all six of those original Paramount video cassettes last year - of those 12 episodes, btw, I've got the end credits entirely clean, of course.

As I am continuing to process videos for Old Indy DVD and "end credits project" I have just figured out that 12 episodes released on VHS have some unseen material (at least by me)...

Every VHS tape has those featuretes on it:

a) Now Available on Videocassette - promo for all 12 released episodes - lenght 4,30 min. (have it)

b) Short promo for each of the released episode on VHS - lenght arround 1,10 min.

c) MAKING OF - A look inside featuring George Lucas and Sean Patrick Flanery - featurete for the whole series - probably every VHS has it - lenght 7,19 min (have it)

Ok I have now featuretes "a" and "c" and they are probably the same on every VHS release (my guess becausae they are made in the context of the whole series).

But featurete "b" was probably individual for each VHS release because there is small description what is happening with Indy in the released episode.

I have featurete B only for "Tales of inoccence" and "Deredevils of the Desert".

- Fommes that is great if you have all 12 released episodes on VHS. Is it possible to transfer the B promos from the tapes too to MPG2 or any other video format?...if that could be possible I think after that I will have the complete set of promos and the free DVD's that I am doing (with Old Indy Chronicles and Young Indy episodes Promos) would definetly be the ultimate edition. Of course I will send you the copy and for others leading useres that are interested on this forum after it is done. I could maybe also upload it somewhere too if many people would be interested.

I have some other featuretes and references on Young Indy...
On the Attack of the Clones bonus disc there is one web documentary where there are many Young Indy references. I will extract it and join it to the set.
Also I have one documentary about movies from Martin Scorcese (3 parts) where in one of the parts about 5mins was devoted to Young Indy...It will be joined with other featuretes.

I would also still like to get the Japanese laser disc documentary of making off featurete (that documentary is listed as one of the sources for my recent university thesis about Lucasfilm)...I have downloaded the youtube FLV version and transfered it to MPG2 but the copy is not so good. If anyone has good Divx/Xvid or any other version of that Japanes laser disc featurete please let me know.

Stay tuned for other updates.

Last edited:

fommes

Those VHS cassettes don't have promos I'm afraid, T.E. - I think you're talking about the video cassettes with the longer tv movie versions like we have on DVD? It's those early Euro VHS cassettes I have...
End of June is in sight, by the way - I'll dust off my dvd-r transfers asap!

T.E.Lawrence

fommes said:
Those VHS cassettes don't have promos I'm afraid, T.E. - I think you're talking about the video cassettes with the longer tv movie versions like we have on DVD? It's those early Euro VHS cassettes I have...
End of June is in sight, by the way - I'll dust off my dvd-r transfers asap!

Ah I see...so those are the versions with old Indy. I didn't even know that some of those original versions were ever released anywhere.

Well in that case I understand why are those relevant for "original end credits"...

Thanks so much for the info.

Best Regards and Stay in Touch.

Stoo

T.E.Lawrence said:
- Fommes that is great if you have all 12 released episodes on VHS. Is it possible to transfer the B promos from the tapes too to MPG2 or any other video format?...if that could be possible I think after that I will have the complete set of promos and the free DVD's that I am doing (with Old Indy Chronicles and Young Indy episodes Promos) would definetly be the ultimate edition. Of course I will send you the copy and for others leading useres that are interested on this forum after it is done. I could maybe also upload it somewhere too if many people would be interested.

I have some other featuretes and references on Young Indy...
On the Attack of the Clones bonus disc there is one web documentary where there are many Young Indy references. I will extract it and join it to the set.
Also I have one documentary about movies from Martin Scorcese (3 parts) where in one of the parts about 5mins was devoted to Young Indy...It will be joined with other featuretes.

I would also still like to get the Japanese laser disc documentary of making off featurete (that documentary is listed as one of the sources for my recent university thesis about Lucasfilm)...I have downloaded the youtube FLV version and transfered it to MPG2 but the copy is not so good. If anyone has good Divx/Xvid or any other version of that Japanes laser disc featurete please let me know.
Fommes is right. The promos you're talking about are from the "Adventure of" VHS from 1999. The 6 (2-episode/tape) "Chronicles" VHS were released in parts of Europe c.'94.

That Scorsese bit sounds very interesting! I've got a copy of the Japanese doc (but it's not the greatest quality) and other cool, extras.

T.E.Lawrence

Stoo said:
Fommes is right. The promos you're talking about are from the "Adventure of" VHS from 1999. The 6 (2-episode/tape) "Chronicles" VHS were released in parts of Europe c.'94.

That Scorsese bit sounds very interesting! I've got a copy of the Japanese doc (but it's not the greatest quality) and other cool, extras.

Fantastic Stoo.
I will contact you soon in private. I will prepare the list of all the stuff that I have.

About Japanes doc I was able to find it on one of the "networks"...the size was arround 175 mb if I can remember correctly...But after many months of waiting I was never sucesfull to get it completly.

Stay tuned.

T.E.Lawrence

Original End Credits - Updates

Ok I am done from my side...Encoded with FLAC

Source: Beowulf's DVD set (mostly VHS STEREO) + one portion of my personal VHS archives (unfortunately in VHS Mono)

This is the situation - I have 13 episodes and those are:

1908-05.Florence.flac (quality - bad with hiss - hiss reduced a little bit)

1909-09.British.East.Africa.flac (quality - Excellent - STEREO)

1916-05.London.VHS.Mono.flac (quality bad - Mono with hiss - hiss reduced a little bit

1916-08.Somme.VHS.Mono.flac (quality bad - Mono with hiss - hiss reduced a little bit

1916-12.German.East.Africa.VHS.Mono.flac (quality bad - Mono with hiss - hiss reduced a little bit

1917-08-Prague.flac (quality Very Good - little audio cracks - STEREO)

1917-10.Palestine.flac (quality - Excellent - STEREO)

1918-01.Transylvania.flac (quality bad - Mono - low audio - audio amplified)

1920-04.The.Mystery.of.the.Blues.Part.1.flac (quality Very Good STEREO)

1920-05.The.Mystery.of.the.Blues.Part.2.flac (quality STEREO)

1920-06.The.Scandal.of.1920.Part.1.flac (quality good - hiss reduced)

1920-07.The.Scandal.of.1920.Part.2.flac (quality good - hiss reduced)

1920-07.The.Scandal.of.1920.Part.2.VHS.Mono.flac (alternate copy - source MONO - quality bad - hiss reduced)

---------

Now there is a possibility that I will be able to extract few more episode in the future from my another personal VHS archives which is in another city. I will have to travel to get them. Those episodes are clean without voice overs but unfortunately they are recorded as VHS Mono so that will not be a priority.

But hopefuly most of those problems will be solved with future Fommes extracts.

Again some analysis for bad quality episodes will be needed because again one portion of those episodes can be reconstructed with already released music.

I will upload my set soon and let you know.

Stay Tuned.
Best Wishes to everyone.