Crystal Skull hatred knows no bounds

Matt deMille

Montana Smith said:
I agree with this. Age isn't always a determining factor. A movie with great acting or a great script, will always be a great movie, as those are elements that will always stand the test of time.

Special effects can look dated as technology improves, but the older style often adds to the charm. With Raiders I don't think this is an issue, as the effects were cutting edge and still look fine today. If Dietrich and Toht look like puppets, then that was probably the original intention. It's horror but not the full on horror of John Carpenter's The Thing (1982).

As we've seen with KOTCS, the ability to do special effects on a grand scale doesn't necessarily make for a better movie.

It would be interesting to see if Lucas and co. could really hold themselves back from using ANY CGI for Indy V, just use old-fashioned analog effects, and see if they could shock a modern audience. I think they could if they got creative enough.

Darth Vile

Matt deMille said:
It would be interesting to see if Lucas and co. could really hold themselves back from using ANY CGI for Indy V, just use old-fashioned analog effects, and see if they could shock a modern audience. I think they could if they got creative enough.

This is something I really don't get. We all bemoan KOTCS for not pushing the envelope or fully living up to the 'originals', (movies that fully embraced state of the art effects), yet many of us now want an Indy movie to simply emulate the techniques of the past. We may not like it, but I'm pretty sure the future of action/adventure movies isn't in real sets and real stunts done 'in camera'. If Spielberg/Lucas were bright young things now (instead of in the 70's/80's), and were looking to create a new icon for a new generation, I'm convinced they wouldn't be thinking of doing it 'live action' at all. That's why a movie like Raiders is completely a product of its time.

teampunk

Sharkey said:
Evil Dead! What a joke.

Blah blah blah, the CG guys who worked on Skull sucked and the script was half baked.

i said evil dead 2. the first one is better then the excorsist too.:hat:

teampunk said:
i said evil dead 2. the first one is better then the excorsist too.:hat:

Firstly, Evil Dead 2 is a comedy.

Secondly, Evil Dead pays loving homage to The Exorcist.

I'm going to assume you're very young. Seems like something a young person would do-- dismiss the merits of a classic film because they're so much tougher. One day you'll learn context.

Exorcist is a great film that was revolutionary in its time and still stands up on the quality of its craft if not the brutality of its content.

Montana Smith

ResidentAlien said:
the quality of its craft if not the brutality of its content.

So many horror films fail by going for "brutality" over "craft".

In the case of the action-adventure KOTCS, it was a case of "spectacle" overshadowing "craft".

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Haven't seen this posted yet.

Not exactly HISHE's most creative or insightful ending.

teampunk

ResidentAlien said:
Firstly, Evil Dead 2 is a comedy.

Secondly, Evil Dead pays loving homage to The Exorcist.

I'm going to assume you're very young. Seems like something a young person would do-- dismiss the merits of a classic film because they're so much tougher. One day you'll learn context.

Exorcist is a great film that was revolutionary in its time and still stands up on the quality of its craft if not the brutality of its content.
i was just messing with you a little bit. and while i didn't really enjoy it, i can still see why it is considered a classic. but for someone raised with freddy and jason, it is a little boring as far as horror movies go.

I guess that's why Crystal Skull is hated so, the younger generation raised on spoon fed slasher flicks who's substance is merely copious amounts of flesh to be pierced, (or sheer spectacle) require no semblance of accrued knowledge, understanding of the world and patience.

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
I guess that's why Crystal Skull is hated so, the younger generation raised on spoon fed slasher flicks who's substance is merely copious amounts of flesh to be pierced, (or sheer spectacle) require no semblance of accrued knowledge, understanding of the world and patience.

This fits here, too:

Montana Smith said:
One of the things that changed was audience expectation, or maybe rather film-makers' perception of audience expectation. If all that matters is the spectacle, then story and reason will take second place.

If KOTCS had a younger audience in mind as a major target, then all subtlety could likely go out the window.

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Sorry...:)o ) I read that when you first posted it...it's worthy of repeating!

Oh, and throwing subtlety out the window.

:hat:

There are a few other things they should have thrown out the window at the same time, which crosses back into the "simple ideas" thread.

DeepSixFix

Rocket Surgeon said:
I guess that's why Crystal Skull is hated so,
Really? I enjoyed it, and the 9-year old nephews I saw it with enjoyed it too. I don't get people who hang out at a forum about movies they hate. Go to a forum of movies you like. You'll be happier.

DeepSixFix said:
Really? I enjoyed it, and the 9-year old nephews I saw it with enjoyed it too. I don't get people who hang out at a forum about movies they hate. Go to a forum of movies you like. You'll be happier.

You do realize this is an Indiana Jones board? And that it has been long before the awfulness that is KOCKS was anything but a passing speculation?

People hang out here because it is an Indiana Jones fan community. Being an Indiana Jones fan does not mandate an enjoyment of every branded piece of **** Lucas makes as a wallet-drain. And discussing the massive disappointment that was the insipid 4th installment, a film that many spent 19 years eagerly anticipating and speculating about, is totally understandable on a message board dedicated to the character they enjoy.

JP Jones

ResidentAlien said:
You know what? It's getting old. I just think that you should accept that many people like the film, and stop trying to be clever. Write "KOCKS" all over your bedroom walls, but not here. No one wants to read it!

JP Jones said:
You know what? It's getting old. I just think that you should accept that many people like the film, and stop trying to be clever. Write "KOCKS" all over your bedroom walls, but not here. No one wants to read it!

kongisking

JP Jones said:

He can think whatever he wants. If he wants to destroy every copy of KOTCS ever made, he's certainly allowed to think so. Meanwhile, us few lovers of the film should just keep on singing its praises. After all, who really cares about OUR opinions, right? We're all retards for liking, maybe even loving, the fourth film, right? We're lower than dog**** for even daring to think that KOTCS was, dare I say it, a fun flick? Yep, that's us. I really should start a club for KOTCS lovers called "Retards that loved KOTCS". I might make some new friends. :rolleyes:

JP Jones

kongisking said:
He can think whatever he wants. If he wants to destroy every copy of KOTCS ever made, he's certainly allowed to think so. Meanwhile, us few lovers of the film should just keep on singing its praises. After all, who really cares about OUR opinions, right? We're all retards for liking, maybe even loving, the fourth film, right? We're lower than dog**** for even daring to think that KOTCS was, dare I say it, a fun flick? Yep, that's us. I really should start a club for KOTCS lovers called "Retards that loved KOTCS". I might make some new friends. :rolleyes:
I'm over what he "thinks". It's about how he just tries to be a smart-A$$ to people who like it. I remember him telling me to get off my horse Lancelot when all I was bringing up was how I didn't like the way people like him treat KotCS. He doesn't like people who do like it and instead of discussing the film he just mocks people who like it.

JP Jones said:
I'm over what he "thinks". It's about how he just tries to be a smart-A$$ to people who like it. I remember him telling me to get off my horse Lancelot when all I was bringing up was how I didn't like the way people like him treat KotCS. He doesn't like people who do like it and instead of discussing the film he just mocks people who like it.

988-violin.gif

You're a bloody hypocrite. And you just want to make yourself a victim. You're as ill as Matt deMille.

What it comes down to is that you can't stand the differing of opinion. I state mine, I don't attack anyone, not even you, but I state my feelings on the film with conviction.

You come in and argue that we should "treat" KOCKS a certain way. WHAT? IT IS A MOVIE. An inanimate thing. Its panties don't get in a bunch because it's not wearing any.

...actually... maybe it is. Maybe KOCKS is just a great big *****.

Or not because it isn't a living breathing thing with any sort of ****ing emotion. KOCKS is a film and my calling it a piece of **** doesn't affect anyone. And it shouldn't affect you. And getting indignant because I insult a THING, an inanimate, unfeeling object just goes to prove your own insecurities.

Now get the **** over it and get a ****ing life.

KOCKS.

KOCKS.