The Oscars

Le Saboteur

Pale Horse said:
Le Sab, you and I see the world differently. At first I was annoyed with that, (my bad)

Well, like, we know what The Dude has to say about that. I'll add annoying along with 'sad' and 'pathetic' to my list of undeniable qualities.

Certainly explains why I can't get any traction 'round here.

Pale Horse said:
I'm curious to know why you find this crop lackluster. I've had an opportunity to view a few screeners and have seen more of this years films than in year past.

I'm going through the nominees again as I write this, and I can't quite put my finger out. Safe isn't the right word. Predictable? Eh, maybe. I'll need to think it over.

I don't even know why the Academy nominated anybody other than Jennifer Lawrence for Best Supporting Actress. They're practically falling over themselves to give her every award under the sun.

The nominations I *am* excited about: Barkhad Abdi in Captain Phillips, Philippe Le Sourd's cinematography in The Grandmaster, and William Chang Suk Ping's costume design for the same.

Pale Horse said:
Comparatively more this year, that the last 5 combined, at least when it comes to viewing prior to the event itself.

I've seen about ten movies this year. Which is a massive fall off. I usually see most of what ends up being nominated (at least) for Best Picture, and pick up the last couple of pictures at AMC's Best Picture Showcase. I've seen all of one picture this year, four if you add in the technical awards.

kongiskong said:
No Best Actor nom for Hugh Jackman in Prisoners?

That's not the .gif you're looking for.

This is.

127.gif

Forbidden Eye said:
The thing is people have been saying that every single for the past several years now. They've probably have been saying that for forever.

I found it to be a rather fine year for film in terms of quality and box office. Nothing I did see could be considered "Best Picture" in terms of quality, but they were damn entertaining. The collection of nominations seems to have been pre-programmed by the studio heads; it smelt of Oscar bait, so let's nominate it! I suspect Saving Mr. Banks would have had a few more nominations if Meryl hadn't slagged it all over place. Too bad she was horribly wrong on nearly all accounts. Ms. Thompson should have been put up for Best Actress.

Though, I guess we know one actress who won't be getting a call from The Mouse any time soon.

Forbidden Eye said:
...then again my days of giving a crap what the Academy thinks are somewhat over

1997. The day L.A. Confidential lost to Titanic is the day I stopped caring. The one thing I am definitely going to miss though, is trying to out guess Ebert. That's one thing I used to enjoy.

Nobody is as self congratulatory as Hollywood, but their awards shows seem to be the least offensive. They try to make an effort to reward all of the participants that bring a film to life. You aren't going to see the NFL's Best Fat Hump Lineman at, say, The Espys.

Finn

Staff member
I wonder if this selection is a sign of the times changing. Hollywood is getting more low-key. With plenty more forms of media available to the common consumer, there's simply no demand for the kind of grand epoch the Academy is usually swooning over. Making such films is expensive, but they don't garner attention the same way they did only a decade or two ago.

It doesn't mean that there won't be none at all, but in the future they will be more or less glaring standouts among a more earthly selection. Which will, of course, make betting on the winner even more easier. You can already hear the bookies weeping.

kongisking

Le Saboteur said:
That's not the .gif you're looking for.

This is.

127.gif

I can now go about my business. Moving along...:p

Honestly, Gravity deserves Best Picture, if only for how envelope-pushing it is. Years from now, Gravity will be fondly remembered as a touchstone in cinema. Will American Hustle or Wolf of Wall Street be?

And keep in mind, I thought both of those movies were fantastic too...

Joe Brody

I fall into the haven't-seen-them camp. It wasn't an overly bad year in film -- but this year's best picture nom's just didn't do it for me and when I get around to seeing them, I hope I'm proved wrong.

Is my memory off or was the logic behind opening the field to more pictures an attempt to get more mainstream films into the mix. Looking at the list below, I'm just not seeing it.

American Hustle -- Only one that I've seen. Flat film and sorry, I don't agree with the hype. I thought it was a sloppy film that will be forgotten in a year. It makes Argo look like an actual Best Picture.

Captain Phillips -- I'm sure this is solid -- but I followed this as a news story as it happened and there was a good article or two afterwards. I'm in no rush to see it and will wait for Netflix.

Dallas Buyers Club -- Solid McConaughey fan here -- but just in no rush for a movie on A.I.D.'s. I could see this being by favorite though.

Gravity -- Alfonso Cuarón has a spotty track record with me and I scoffed when I first heard that Clooney and Bullock were going to be astronaunts -- so I put this in the renter pile too, despite the box office. I still can't see myself liking this.

Her -- Big fans of Spike Jonze and Sco Jo but the whole concept is a little pathetic and Joaquin Phoenix can be creepy -- especially with the facial hair. Renter.

Nebraska -- I'm mid forties -- so I don't do elderly people road trip movies on general principle. I'll be there soon enough.

Philomena -- Love Judi Dench but everything she does is a renter on general principle.

12 Years a Slave -- my other big regret not seeing. I think this is solid and would be my other contender.

The Wolf of Wall Street -- No desire to see this. Spectacle for spectacle's sake.

As for films that didn't make the cut (including, Inside Llewyn Davis, Rush, The Secret Life of Walter Middy, The Place Beyond the Pines, 42, Mud, The Great Gatsby, Now You See Me, and The Butler), I'm not seeing any slights although I think a couple were just as good or better than Hustle.

kongisking

Joe Brody said:
I fall into the haven't-seen-them camp. It wasn't an overly bad year in film -- but this year's best picture nom's just didn't do it for me and when I get around to seeing them, I hope I'm proved wrong.

Is my memory off or was the logic behind opening the field to more pictures an attempt to get more mainstream films into the mix. Looking at the list below, I'm just not seeing it.

American Hustle -- Only one that I've seen. Flat film and sorry, I don't agree with the hype. I thought it was a sloppy film that will be forgotten in a year. It makes Argo look like an actual Best Picture.

Captain Phillips -- I'm sure this is solid -- but I followed this as a news story as it happened and there was a good article or two afterwards. I'm in no rush to see it and will wait for Netflix.

Dallas Buyers Club -- Solid McConaughey fan here -- but just in no rush for a movie on A.I.D.'s. I could see this being by favorite though.

Gravity -- Alfonso Cuarón has a spotty track record with me and I scoffed when I first heard that Clooney and Bullock were going to be astronaunts -- so I put this in the renter pile too, despite the box office. I still can't see myself liking this.

Her -- Big fans of Spike Jonze and Sco Jo but the whole concept is a little pathetic and Joaquin Phoenix can be creepy -- especially with the facial hair. Renter.

Nebraska -- I'm mid forties -- so I don't do elderly people road trip movies on general principle. I'll be there soon enough.

Philomena -- Love Judi Dench but everything she does is a renter on general principle.

12 Years a Slave -- my other big regret not seeing. I think this is solid and would be my other contender.

The Wolf of Wall Street -- No desire to see this. Spectacle for spectacle's sake.

As for films that didn't make the cut (including, Inside Llewyn Davis, Rush, The Secret Life of Walter Middy, The Place Beyond the Pines, 42, Mud, The Great Gatsby, Now You See Me, and The Butler), I'm not seeing any slights although I think a couple were just as good or better than Hustle.

No offense, Brody, but a lot of your reasons for avoiding these movies sound either petty or contrarian.

Mickiana

kongisking said:
No offense, Brody, but a lot of your reasons for avoiding these movies sound either petty or contrarian.

They seem stated only as personal reasons. On a personal level, I resonated with many of them.

Montana Smith

My reason for not having watched any of them is that they haven't turned up on disc for a quid yet.

Like many of the other hundred or so award shows the Oscars are just another public exercise in mutual hand jobbery or female dog slapping.

Q: Who cares?

A: Only those who get stroked or slapped. Or those who believed they were getting stroked or slapped on someone else's behalf.

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
My reason for not having watched any of them is that they haven't turned up on disc for a quid yet.

Like many of the other hundred or so award shows the Oscars are just another public exercise in mutual hand jobbery or female dog slapping.

Q: Who cares?

A: Only those who get stroked or slapped. Or those who believed they were getting stroked or slapped on someone else's behalf.

I think the Oscars are a huge joke, but I watch them nevertheless for four reasons:

1) To see the stars. It's always cool to hear from my favorite actors and actresses.

2) To see just how good (or bad?) the year's host is.

3) Morbid curiosity over who will win.

4) Amy Adams on the red carpet. How could I miss that?!? :p

Pale Horse

Staff member
Joe Brody said:

I'll watch it for Barkhad Abdi's performance. But I've read enough about Phillips and I don't think Hanks will save my opinion of the man. Call it historical bias is keeping me away from this one, at least till Netflix.

I completely understand this sentiment. But please please please watch it for Jared Leto's ...{insert thesaurus words here} role. Dear Heavens. The AIDS bit is grossly exaggerated against a different criminal in this film. But MM is only serviceable in this role, he's barely better than Leo in Marty's work below. Matthew was much better in Mud which I consider to be this generations Stand By Me.

Gravity -- Alfonso Cuarón has a spotty track record with me and I scoffed when I first heard that Clooney and Bullock were going to be astronauts -- so I put this in the renter pile too, despite the box office. I still can't see myself liking this.

Best Animated Film. Hands down. Also, awesome on IMAX. Sandy does a pretty good Castaway rehash, and this script was much better than the slighted All Is Lost that featured Redford.

A truly disturbing film that will create wonderful conversations post viewing. I believe that is the reason it's in the bunch.

No interest here on these two, so I'm right with ya.

This is my "Duh!" film. I don't like "Duh!" films. Sort of like the Patriots will go to the Superbowl every year thang. It becomes tired and uninspiring.

Martin missed the boat on this one for sure. Pales in comparison to The Departed, and his other works. This film is a moral fairy tale at best, and Marty doesn't do simplicity well. It shows.

I'm seeing this this evening. I'll report accordingly.

Of those, I?ve only seen Mud ? (see above), Gatsby ? blech!, Now You See Me, (no way this could be a contender)

Here too, are the other films I've seen.

Iron Man 3
Despicable Me 2
Frozen
Monsters Univesity
Identity Thief
A Good Day to Die Hard
Parker
Safe Haven
Stoker
Oz the Great and Powerful
Spring Breakers I was rooting a supporting actor nomination nod
Burt Wonderstone
Olympus Has Fallen
The Croods
Hangover III
After Earth
This is the End
The Bling Ring
World War Z
The Heat
The Lone Ranger
Turbo
Red 2
The To Do List
2 Guns
We're the Millers
Planes
Cloudy with a Chance 2
Runner Runner
Escape from Tomorrow I highly recommend this one.
All is Lost
The Big Wedding
Escape Plan
Bad Grandpa
Last Vegas
Anchorman 2

And lastly: Lone Survivor. (wait I forgot SOMM)

I think I have a good slice of films to pair against.

Of the ones I didn't see (and haven't been named), these I think would be necessary viewing to be a completely informed critic: But I only have so much time on my hands.

August: Osage County; Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom; The Book Thief; Diana; Jane Mansfield's Car; Jobs; Fruitvale Station; The Way Way Back; The English Teacher; What Maisie Knew; Emperor; Knife Fight, and of course Machette Kills.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I've been holding off on everything I've thought might end up being a Best Picture nominee in order to, as Le Sab said, pick up what remains at one of those marathons. So I'll probably end up seeing those 9, and needing to pick up Inside Llewyn Davis and a few others (probably Fruitvale Station) on top of that.

Thompson did fine work in <I>Saving Mr. Banks</I>, but I can't say I'm displeased to see that fairy tale getting shut out of any prominent categories.

I'll report back after seeing the 9 on whether any of them winning will **** me off as much as Argo's victory did last year.

Le Saboteur

Attila the Professor said:
...(probably Fruitvale Station) on top of that

Save yourself the time and money and skip that travesty of a movie. St. Oscar was a two-bit criminal who died like a two-bit criminal and would have ended up dead in some other manner had he not done everything possible to get himself shot in the wee small hours of the New Year.

Fun fact: Everybody who was with St. Oscar that fateful evening was later murdered in gang or drug related encounters. To be fair, I believe a distant relation is still alive, but he was or is already in jail.

The Academy did everybody a favor not nominating that movie. I, for one, don't feel the urge to walk through a cloud of teargas on the way to work again.

Replace every instance of R. Kelly with St. Oscar.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KVWi8aNHHQA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pale Horse

Staff member
Joe Brody said:

When you're right, you're right. But damn it if the stellar acting perfomances and soundtrack weren't wasted on what you rightfully call FLAT. I can't figure what went wrong. Editing? Pace? Cinematography? Hype? Felt like I was drinking a Scorsese Lite™

To that end, I'll be posting my full predictions for y'all to rail on, soon.

Joe Brody

Captain Phillips -- Agreed 100%.

Dallas Buyers Club -- Sorry to hear that MM is only serviceable. Oh well, I guess he can't alway get Reign of Fire quality gigs every time out.

Gravity -- You make me wish I had seen it in IMAX but I'm holding off.

Her -- "A truly disturbing film that will create wonderful conversations post viewing. I believe that is the reason it's in the bunch." I believe it. Spike Jonz likes to present the dark side and I understand this one gnaws at you after having seen it.

12 Years a Slave -- "This is my "Duh!" film. I don't like "Duh!" films. Sort of like the Patriots will go to the Superbowl every year thang. It becomes tired and uninspiring." I like the analogy to the Patriots. Well timed, sir.

The Wolf of Wall Street -- Thanks for confirming my suspicions. Might be awhile before I watch this but one of the females is pretty compelling.

American Hustle -- Again, thank you for confirming I'm not crazy.

I agree with you on Mud but I'm a Baz Luhrman fan and I give Gatsby a break because one of the Gatsby trailers (the one built around the car ride with the Gatsby exposition voiceover) is one of the best ever made and it has great music.

Great list (reproduced below). You've seen more than me and I intend to use this to update my Netflix. I agree with you on Spring Breakers -- Franco? You know he's doing Of Mice and Men on Broadway starting this Spring.

Pale Horse said:
Iron Man 3
Despicable Me 2
Frozen
Monsters Univesity
Identity Thief
A Good Day to Die Hard
Parker
Safe Haven
Stoker
Oz the Great and Powerful
Spring Breakers I was rooting a supporting actor nomination nod
Burt Wonderstone
Olympus Has Fallen
The Crowds
Hangover III
After Earth
This is the End
The Bling Ring
World War Z
The Heat
The Lone Ranger
Turbo
Red 2
The To Do List
2 Guns
We're the Millers
Planes
Cloudy with a Chance 2
Runner Runner
Escape from Tomorrow
All is Lost
The Big Wedding
Escape Plan
Bad Grandpa
Last Vegas
Anchorman 2

August: Osage County; Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom; The Book Thief; Diana; Jane Mansfield's Car; Jobs; Fruitvale Station; The Way Way Back; The English Teacher; What Maisie Knew; Emperor; Knife Fight, and of course Machette Kills.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
Great list (reproduced below). You've seen more than me and I intend to use this to update my Netflix. I agree with you on Spring Breakers -- Franco? You know he's doing Of Mice and Men on Broadway starting this Spring.

I don't know if I'm proud or ashamed, considering mid 40's life as a parent. :p

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Le Saboteur said:
Save yourself the time and money and skip that travesty of a movie. St. Oscar was a two-bit criminal who died like a two-bit criminal and would have ended up dead in some other manner had he not done everything possible to get himself shot in the wee small hours of the New Year.

Fun fact: Everybody who was with St. Oscar that fateful evening was later murdered in gang or drug related encounters. To be fair, I believe a distant relation is still alive, but he was or is already in jail.

The Academy did everybody a favor not nominating that movie. I, for one, don't feel the urge to walk through a cloud of teargas on the way to work again.

I didn't mean to overstate my interest; honestly, my initial suspicion about the film was that it would be a fairly uninteresting social issues film. I heard otherwise from some people I respect, and so stuck it on the "yeah, I wouldn't mind getting around to this" list. I appreciate your concern for my wallet, but it's on the "wait for the library copy" list.

But that's not to say that I expect it to be strictly factual, though it does sound like the sort of film where that's a valid line of criticism, if not enough to make the whole of one. (Argo, for example, can rightly be criticized for making up action sequences and downplaying the role of the Canadians, but it's not so much the inaccuracies that pissed me off about it taking Best Picture but that it had so little to say.) In any event, I don't see the real Oscar Grant's flaws as justification for him to die the way he did. Whenever I see it, I'll be interested to see whether I come down on Kenny's side of it not canonizing Grant or yours.

I'm a touch curious now whether you have any similarly strong <I>Blue Jasmine</I> opinions, on the basis of its Bay Area setting.

Speaking of films that bastardize the truth, I'm a little disappointed to have not caught any flak regarding my opinion on <I>Saving Mr. Banks</I>, which ably manages to both give P.L. Travers the credit for making Mr. Banks the heart of the film (when, from most reports, that was mostly the work of Walt Disney and the Shermans) and blame her for obstructing the Studios' ability to adapt her own work without interference. It displays a total lack of interest in her art, seeing it as entirely explained by the hardships of her childhood, and a similar lack of interest in her life, seeing it as the key that unlocks her later work. Pretty neat trick.

kongisking

I didn't mean to overstate my interest; honestly, my initial suspicion about the film was that it would be a fairly uninteresting social issues film. I heard otherwise from some people I respect, and so stuck it on the "yeah, I wouldn't mind getting around to this" list. I appreciate your concern for my wallet, but it's on the "wait for the library copy" list.

But that's not to say that I expect it to be strictly factual, though it does sound like the sort of film where that's a valid line of criticism, if not enough to make the whole of one. (Argo, for example, can rightly be criticized for making up action sequences and downplaying the role of the Canadians, but it's not so much the inaccuracies that pissed me off about it taking Best Picture but that it had so little to say.) In any event, I don't see the real Oscar Grant's flaws as justification for him to die the way he did. Whenever I see it, I'll be interested to see whether I come down on Kenny's side of it not canonizing Grant or yours.

I'm a touch curious now whether you have any similarly strong <I>Blue Jasmine</I> opinions, on the basis of its Bay Area setting.

Speaking of films that bastardize the truth, I'm a little disappointed to have not caught any flak regarding my opinion on <I>Saving Mr. Banks</I>, which ably manages to both give P.L. Travers the credit for making Mr. Banks the heart of the film (when, from most reports, that was mostly the work of Walt Disney and the Shermans) and blame her for obstructing the Studios' ability to adapt her own work without interference. It displays a total lack of interest in her art, seeing it as entirely explained by the hardships of her childhood, and a similar lack of interest in her life, seeing it as the key that unlocks her later work. Pretty neat trick.

Well, that movie was pretty much damned from the get-go. If it was totally faithful, Disney would look like a bastard. If it was too Hollywoodized, the Disney haters would totally jump on the inaccuracies.

I just don't give a flying crap. It was a terrifically-made movie, and didn't demonize either side too much.

Aint it funny how every single Disney film from now until the end of time is doomed to be attacked or peeled apart thanks to the appalling influence of the Disney conspiracy theorists? You can't just enjoy or appreciate a well-told story anymore. We have to viciously look for excuses to call it propaganda or what have you.

This is something that embitters me: I feel like critics and fans don't really try to enjoy things anymore. Instead, they can only focus on "how many flaws can I inflate to make it seem like a horrible travesty of art?"

Attila the Professor

Staff member
kongisking said:
Well, that movie was pretty much damned from the get-go. If it was totally faithful, Disney would look like a bastard. If it was too Hollywoodized, the Disney haters would totally jump on the inaccuracies.

I just don't give a flying crap. It was a terrifically-made movie, and didn't demonize either side too much.

Aint it funny how every single Disney film from now until the end of time is doomed to be attacked or peeled apart thanks to the appalling influence of the Disney conspiracy theorists? You can't just enjoy or appreciate a well-told story anymore. We have to viciously look for excuses to call it propaganda or what have you.

This is something that embitters me: I feel like critics and fans don't really try to enjoy things anymore. Instead, they can only focus on "how many flaws can I inflate to make it seem like a horrible travesty of art?"

You don't need to own a well-thumbed copy of Hollywood's Dark Prince to take issue with the film's portrayal of the history involved. There are plenty of Disney <I>fans</I>, myself included, who have criticized the film. And hell, it's not as though the film makes Walt Disney look great, seeing as the big emotional moment in the picture is the man explaining (feel free to mash those two words together) to Travers why she's being so intransigent. It's clearly meant to be pro-Disney propaganda of a sort - which is something that changed in the script, once Disney picked it up - but I don't know how well it succeeds.

You shouldn't have to <I>try</I> to enjoy things. Yes, it is important to try to engage with something by its own lights, to take its concerns seriously, but when the film itself doesn't do that, it's hard to meet it halfway.

Montana Smith

You shouldn't have to <I>try</I> to enjoy things. Yes, it is important to try to engage with something by its own lights, to take its concerns seriously, but when the film itself doesn't do that, it's hard to meet it halfway.

Bravo!

<almost ten characters>