The Amazing Spider-Man

JP Jones

JayDee said:
Now official:

I've been skeptical/excited about the Amazing Spider-man, and the same goes for the trailer. I'm very skeptical about this "darker" turn. I'm not aware that anyone wanted a darker spidey after spider-man 3. All I want is a better version.

However, The last bit got me so pumped! I'm not a fan of cg, but for something like spider-man, I need some huge action and large scale swinging. I didn't think I'd see anything like that in this version of the webhead, but the first person swinging part was "AMAZING"!:D

JayDee

JP Jones said:
I didn't think I'd see anything like that in this version of the webhead, but the first person swinging part was "AMAZING"!:D

Director Marc Webb said a few days ago that these CGI-sequences are going to be little exceptions. Mostly during the movie, Spidey will swing with the help of wires and a stunt man through New York. And THAT is something I am very happy about :D Good old fashion film making...

Dr. Gonzo

JayDee said:
Director Marc Webb said a few days ago that these CGI-sequences are going to be little exceptions. Mostly during the movie, Spidey will swing with the help of wires and a stunt man through New York. And THAT is something I am very happy about :D Good old fashion film making...
Marc Webb I applaud you. (y)

JP Jones

JayDee said:
I knew that was going to be how it would work. I saw video from the set of them performing the stunts... and it was AWESOME!

However, for this movie, I am ready to pay for some huge 3D moments like in the trailer. I hope there's more to see when it comes out. Some films are terrific with cg (Spider-Man, Star Wars) some films shouldn't use much cg at all (Indiana Jones, Batman).

The Man

The-Amazing-Spiderman-Poster.jpg

Attila the Professor

Staff member
So this is based on the Bono/The Edge/Julie Taymor musical, right?

The hero's a hoofer on Broadway. He sings and he dances. One night, backstage, he's reading Amazing Fantasy #15. A sandbag (or a falling actor?) hits his head. He dreams he's actually Spiderman.

Montana Smith

Attila the Professor said:
So this is based on the Bono/The Edge/Julie Taymor musical, right?

The hero's a hoofer on Broadway. He sings and he dances. One night, backstage, he's reading Amazing Fantasy #15. A sandbag (or a falling actor?) hits his head. He dreams he's actually Spiderman.

I think you may be right.

One of the worst things Parker ever did was dop that sandbag on Bono's head. Revenge isn't pretty when a multi-millionaire rock star buys the latest gadgets.

DocOc.jpg

Le Saboteur

The final issue of The Amazing Spider-Man ever.

spider700.jpg

Following DC's universe wide reset, Marvel NOW! is attempting to do the same thing. Spider Man begins anew as - wait for it - The Superior Spider-Man! Yes, Superior. And it's not Peter Parker. You'll need to pick up the final few issues of the series to see how things come to pass.

Oh, you mean we're talking about the movie? Yeah, it's finally shown up from Netflix queue. I still haven't mustered the courage to watch it. The only thing I can see in its favor: It doesn't ignore Gwen Stacy. That's important.

I originally posted this in the Comic Book Thread, but thought I would append it to this post as well.

Being off the radar due to its existence on a channel nobody gets (Disney XD), the Ultimate Spider Man series is worth watching. It shares far too many similarities with the Teen Titans & Scott Pilgrim vs. the World to be wholly endorsed, but it's bright, shiny, and splendidly animated.

The Spider-Ham reference is hilarious.

The series follows the Marvel filmverse continuity -- Capt. America & Iron Man are the penultimate heroes, and Peter Parker has a serious case of hero worship. Thor, Wolverine, the Incredible Hulk, & Nick Fury all make appearances, too.

Even more villains appear! To wit, The Frightful Four, Sabertooth, Dr. Doom, Norman Osborn, Taskmaster, Mesmero, Batroc the Leaper, The Living Laser, Flash Thompson, Doctor Octopus, Loki, and the seminal Venom. They all look great, but the stuff with Venom is exceptionally well done.

Rounding out the cast are a teenaged: Nova, White Tiger, Iron Fist, & Luke Cage (aka Power Man). Together they (and Spider Man) are a quasi-superhero team headquartered on S.H.I.E.L.D.'s now famous helicarrier.

I've seen about half of the first season so far, and it's... entertaining. While I'll probably keep watching, I'll need to remember that it's not really Spider Man.

Canceling the Amazing Spider Man though, pales in comparison to the travesty below.

ultimatespiderman1variantmain.jpg

MinnesotaJones

Le Saboteur said:
Canceling the Amazing Spider Man though, pales in comparison to the travesty below.

ultimatespiderman1variantmain.jpg

Saw the post, thought of this video and beside I find the new Ultimate Spider-man series uh, a little too silly.

Le Saboteur

Montana Smith said:
Kingpin, Nick Fury, and now Spider-Man. :confused:

Electro's going to be black in the second outing of The Amazing Spider-Man.

Oh, and The Punisher & Green Lantern were black for a while. Spawn's black too.

Entertainment Weekly said:
Foxx went on to reveal that his character "sort of starts thinking that somehow, he's Spider-Man's partner...[then] everything goes bad with his mom. She doesn't remember his birthday. He has something tragic happen and, when it turns on, he lights up."

As Marvel Comics lore has it, Electro is the guise of Maxwell Dillon, an emotionally stunted man with an inferiority complex who's struck by lightning while working as a linesman. Instead of being killed, the accident gives him the superhuman ability to control electricity.

Full article can be read here.

Montana Smith said:
Next you'll be telling me Black Panther's a white dude.

Kasper Cole was of Jewish & African American descent. He briefly assumed the mantle of the Black Panther before eventually becoming the third White Tiger, an acolyte of the Panther Cult. That's about the closest you're going to get.

MinnesotaJones said:
Saw the post, thought of this video and beside I find the new Ultimate Spider-man series uh, a little too silly.

Thanks for the video. :hat: So, African Americans & Hispanics are some of the largest consumers of comic books? They're very thin on the ground @ all the shops and conventions that I've been to.

To be fair, there were far more black people at last year's SDCC than I've noticed before.

Yeah, the Ultimate Spider-Man series is quite silly. It manages to amuse me enough to keep watching, but the constant cutaways to chibi characters and sight gags is getting old, old, old.

JuniorJones said:
Really? Do tell...

This incarnation of Spider-Man is a tween. If that wasn't enough to garner instant dislike, he can turn invisible. 'nuff said. We won't even get into the entire gimmicky aspect of it all.

Now about that movie...

This next bit will contain spoilers, so if you haven't seen the movie please feel free to opt out now.

the-amazing-spider-man.jpg

Sam Raimi's second outing with Peter Parker remains the finest Spider-Man movie to date, but I was surprised how much I enjoyed this one (despite still wondering why an origin story needed to be retold). Andrew Garfield made a decent impression as Parker, and I won't mind seeing him in the next movie due out in 2014. Though, I guess we're supposed to think he's nerdy because he likes to brood and rides a skateboard?

While I'm glad that Gwen Stacy arrives first in this outing, I'm not so certain the romance works. Where's the insecurity? Where's Gwen's resentment that our friendly neighborhood Spider-Man got her father killed? No, he web shoots her in the butt, pulls her to him, they make out, and everything is suddenly wonderful. Dad was just an inconvenience anyway.

I liked Rhys Ifans as The Lizard, but he's no Willem Dafoe. It's an interesting place to start, and has me wondering whether or not the eventual Norman Osborn is going to physically turn into the green goblin a la the Ultimate Marvel universe as a result of Dr. Connors' serum. Still, I would've chosen another villain; i.e., Shocker, Kraven the Hunter, the Rhino, or Carnage.

Of course, you can't get to Carnage without doing the Alien Symbiote Spider Man & Venom story arcs.

If I had to score it, it'd be a three out of four stars.

Fingers crossed that J.K. Simmons reprises his role as J-Cubed.

Mods: Can we add a "The" to the title of this thread?

Last edited:

Le Saboteur

Montana Smith said:
As much of a shock to Frank as it was to me!

Looking back, it wasn't one of Frank's finer hours. Interesting, yes, but it really went nowhere since it lasted an entire two issues. A lot more could have been done with the premise: comics' take on Richard Wright's Native Son, for example.

Montana Smith said:
Funny that he chooses to hang with Luke Cage afterwards.

Despite being the closest thing to Batman in the Marvel Universe, I never felt that Frank should interact with superpowered heroes; that is to say, despite holding his own against The Powers That Be, it always feels off. Let Frank deal with street-level crime, and fending off Galactus, Thanos, & Darkseid to The Avengers, the Fantastic Four, & the Justice League.

See the current story-arc on Punisher: War Zone. Frank's dealt with Spider-Man & Black Widow, and he's now being hunted by Thor. Yes, the God of Thunder.

Montana Smith said:
And The Hulk went from grey to green to grey and red! It's a very fluid universe.

Remember that the Hulk was grey for a single issue. He remained green for something like forty years before getting into the whole United Hulk of Benetton.

Montana Smith said:
Al Simmons always was though, wasn't he?

Yep. Unlike Lois Lane. She was black for an issue or two as well.

Indy Scout 117 said:
the new trailer for the video game looks interesting.

So did the launch trailer.

The reviews weren't great, but I did see it on sale for, like, half-price. People were impressed with the web-slinging, so I might pick it up in the near future.

That said, I was kvetching @ my local shop about Invisible Spider-Tween when the conversation turned to costumes. Specifically, how I felt about the duds in Superior & Ultimate Spider-Man. Go here and here.

Superior's growing on me, but there's nothing inspired about Spider-Tween's get up. It's all very safe. That conversation, of course, turned into one about our favorite costumes over the years.

In no particular order, here are five of my top 10 costumes ever.

Alien-Symbiote Spider-Man/Black Costume

spidermanblack.jpg

Future Foundation Spider-Man

Following the death of Johnny Storm, Reed Richards invited Spider-Man to join the Fantastic Four. That group eventually became the Future Foundation before the original members returned to being the Fantastic Four.

ff-character-designs-by-marko-djurdjevic-1297282390.jpg

Classic Spider-Man

Yes, the red-and-blue suit. Especially when drawn by Todd Macfarlane pre-Spawn.

mcfarlanespiderman_thumb.png

Noir Spider-Man

Go here for a larger view of the costume.

Spider-Man_noir.jpg

Big Time Spider-Man/Stealth Suit

This suit allowed Spider-Man to turn invisible and made him completely immune to sound and sonic attacks.

Amaz650.jpg

Thoughts? Opinions? Your own choices?

Last edited: