National Treasure

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
I don't smoke.:rolleyes:

National Treasure was a very good movie. It may not be Oscar worthy, but still it was entertaining and had a great sense of adventure.

INDYfatigable

Has anybosy seen this film? from the previews it strikes me as being rather like Indiana Jones. I can't wait till it comes out on dvd :whip:

Webley

I thought National Treasure was a fun movie you should see it INDYfatigable you wont be dissaponted ;)

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
I really, really liked both National Treasure and Sahara. Its good to see that people still like adventure movies, just so long as they aren't done up with a bunch of CGI (Tomb Raider comes to mind).

I thought National Treasure was a fun movie. Just a fun action adventure movie with some puzzles thrown in. I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

I haven't seen Sahara and don't know if I want to or not. Mostly because I've read a lot of the books and while they are ok they are not the best. Lots of plot holes and things like that. I might see it when it comes out on DVD.

INDYfatigable

Another movie that has tons of plot holes is pirates of the carribean. I love the movie, but some parts no matter how many times I watch it, I just can't figure it out.

Pale Horse

Staff member
INDYfatigable said:
Another movie that has tons of plot holes is pirates of the carribean. I love the movie, but some parts no matter how many times I watch it, I just can't figure it out.

Plot holes? Which holes are you talking about? seriously, maybe I didn't notice them, but from a writers perspective, this movie is pretty tight.

Junior Jones

INDYfatigable said:
Another movie that has tons of plot holes is Pirates of the Carribean. I love the movie, but some parts no matter how many times I watch it, I just can't figure it out.

On the DVD there's a writers commentary. They explain a few things that people seem to have misunderstood. And during the end credits they give an overview of the backstory. There are even a few hints at sequel ideas. Check it out!

INDYfatigable

I'll give it a try.
Pale horse, some of the things that didn't make sense were: who put the curse on the pirates cortez, or boot strap bill? how can the wooden eye pirate say that the coals are hot when elizabeth drops them on him if the cursed pirates can't feel? Why is Jack cursed at the end? If will has the stolen coin why isn't he cursed?

Pale Horse

Staff member
Cool!

okay, I'll do my best. Others can help too:

INDYfatigable said:
I'll give it a try.
Pale horse, some of the things that didn't make sense were: who put the curse on the pirates cortez, or boot strap bill?

This (more appropriately) would be back story. Writers like having an open backstory because it allows some freedom from where to go now. So many times in books and film too much time is spent setting up the story that you miss all the action/conflict. From a personal level, I like not knowing, and didn't feel cheated that it wasn't there. It's like Forrestal being a competitor of Indy, or the fact that Belloq always takes what Indy gets first.

It gives "fan boy" message boards a reason to live.

It also gives screenwriters pieces of information to use in future films, thereby
guaranteeing a second or third chance at a paycheck. :p

INDYfatigable said:
how can the wooden eye pirate say that the coals are hot when elizabeth drops them on him if the cursed pirates can't feel?

Plothole, through and through. No doubt about it. I just didn't catch it.

INDYfatigable said:
Why is Jack cursed at the end?

Jack is cursed, as is anyone who removes the coins from the chest of Cortez. The curse is removed when all of the coins have been returned. It's a back and forth thing. sorta. That's how I think it is supposed to be understood. I also believe that is the reason Disney isn't selling the coins (though they would be heavily marketable) because they wouldn't want everyone cursed.

INDYfatigable said:
If will has the stolen coin why isn't he cursed?

Another good plothole. If I'm correct, Boot Strap Bill gave Will the coin to ensure that the Pirates would always be cursed. That means that the Curse is directly related to anyone who steals the coins, not those in possession of them. Otherwise Elizabeth would be cursed too.

If anyone else has more details on this, I am sure we all would apprecite the education.

INDYfatigable

I just finished watching the commentary, and this is the story as i gathered it from the timeline in the credits:
Cortez did not put the curse on the treasure, the heathen priest god cursed it, because he gave the treasure to cortez to try to quell his gold lust. The curse was that if any took any of the gold, he would be undead.

Jack knew about the curse before he took on Barbossa and the mutineers onto his ship at Tortuga(one of them being boot strap bill), but Jack did not believe in it, thus the refernece later when twigg and the other man break into the prison: "So there is a curse. That's interesting."
He told his crew(the one that later marrooned him on he island about the curse and the treasure, and the island that no one can find except if he already knew where it was. They also did not believe in the curse, but Jack had been to the island, and told them that the treasure was real enough. This awakend the lust for gold, and in answer to a question, Jack already knew where the secret island was, and in answer to a question he gave up the bearings of the island. Now that they knew where the treasure was, they had no need of Jack so they marooned him on the rum runners' island, and set off to find the treasure. Boot Strap did not assist in the marroning, but he stayed with the mutineers on the ship. When they reached the island, they all took the gold until there was nothing left in the chest, and they spent it as they would ordinary treasure. They learned from their experiences that they couldn't feel anything, or die. They also learned that ALL the treasure had to be replaced for the curse to be lifted. Boot Strap was angry at Barbossa for marooning Jack, so he told them they deserved to be cursed, and that they should remain that way always. So he sent one piece of the treasure to his son for safekeeping, so the pirates would remain cursed.
Barbossa got really angry ar him and strapped him to a cannon and threw him overboard. This is important: when i think his name is pinnel? tells that the last he saw of old boot strap, he was sinking down to the crushing black oblivion of davy jones locker. Now although he was cursed, and coudn't die, so he was still alive, they were implying that he went so far down there would not be much left of him. Then after that they learned again that they neede turner's blood to lift the curse. These are the events leading up to the movie. Make sense?

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
What's this about a sequel? In 2007?!
Big SPOILERS. Don't look. We may soon have 3 major Lincoln movies!
http://www.moviesonline.ca/movienews_10801.html
"John Wilkes Booth is the man who shot Abraham Lincoln. Pages are missing from his diary. Benjamin Franklin Gates and posse are to recover pages before someone else does [long live the Confederacy!] Gates' motivation beyond historical interest. The pages implicate a Gates family member [in Lincoln's assassination]. Gates' mother will help. Relationships strained. Adventure international: London, Paris, then back to U.S. MANY secrets in pages' contents. Heroes are sent in unexpected directions. Example: There is A BOOK OF SECRETS. National secrets. Big secrets. Said book contains details pointedly recalling Mason's microfilm in THE ROCK [who killed JFK? Roswell, etc.] The location of a City of Gold [Cortez] is also in this book. Heroes break into White House to get the second book. Gates must kidnap the President of the United States to keep him safe from the Confederates. Hitchcockian finale at Mount Rushmore."