My first post: Holiday traditions (Indy-related and otherwise)?

grailguy

Hi Everybody--

Was finally brave enough to register, so this is my first post.

Just wondering what kinds of holiday traditions (if any) all of you have. Are any of them Indy-related?

Back in high school, I started this tradition of insisting that my brother, sisters, and parents watch "Last Crusade" and eat pizza with me on Christmas Eve. Years later, we're still doing that.

We also sometimes watch a more traditional movie like "Christmas Vacation" or "It's a Wonderful Life", but watching "Last Crusade" together is always a must.

And I still remember getting excited when I saw Marvel comics' "Further Adventures of Indiana Jones" #3 sticking out of my stocking one Christmas morning when I was a kid.

The other odd, non-Indy family tradition we had growing up was my mom "Whistling for Santa Claus" a few weeks before Christmas. All of us kids would have to go to the back of the house as Mom stood on the front step and whistled.

Santa would hear her and toss down a "preview present" for each of us. Something small--like a G.I. Joe figure or a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure book.

I always thought this was a smart strategy by my mom, because she always reminded us that she had this direct line of communication to Santa and so we'd better behave ourselves ;)

Another tradition I remember from attending Catholic grade school was putting out our shoes in the hallway in early December for St. Nicholas's Feast Day and we'd get our shoes back with candy canes in them...

VP

Moderator Emeritus
welcome_tumma.jpg

Welcome, grailguy.

indifan101

Welcome grailguy! My holiday traditions have been changed this year. My family always goes up to my grandpa's house to celebrate Christmas but he's sold his house and now the family is coming down here! We always watch Holiday Inn and Mircale on 34th Street. Those are our traditons.;)

IndyBuff

Welcome to The Raven grailguy! I pretty much read and watch Indy all year long, so this Christmas won't be any different. However, I do like to watch a few Christmas movies and specials (The Garfield Christmas Special is a must).:)

Also, my family usually reads the Christmas story on Christmas Eve. I'm also planning on watching the holiday episodes of Futurama and Lupin the 3rd.:whip:

moondrifter

Grailguy, your idea of watching last crusade every xmas eve is so good! So simple, yet pure brilliance i must say. New traditions is what i live to make although i don't really celebrate xmas. Maybe i'll watch the whole trilogy this saturday :p

Pale Horse

Staff member
grailguy said:
Just wondering what kinds of holiday traditions (if any) all of you have. Are any of them Indy-related?

Welcome to the Raven.

A simple tradition, really, that I have involves last minute bargin shopping, and then I truly enjoy wrapping the gifts on the still evening of Christmas eve, while watching the classic Christmas movies of Die Hard and Lethal Weapon. This will be my last year to do it though, as my fiance (Thanatosis as some of you know her) and I will be married by next Christmas. She fails to grasp the simplistic message of each of those movies and how important they are to the Christmas season.

grailguy

Thanks for the warm welcome, everybody.

Indifan101: actually, I've never seen Holiday Inn, but will try to check it out.

Pale Horse: as I read your post, I kept picturing Linus from A Charlie Brown Christmas explaining the true meaning of Die Hard to your fiancee...

indifan101

grailguy said:
Thanks for the warm welcome, everybody.

Indifan101: actually, I've never seen Holiday Inn, but will try to check it out.

It was made in the 1950's. It has Bing Crosby in it. It's not bad if you like those kind of old movies. To me their kinda boring!