TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
User Name
Password

Old 10-03-2008, 02:47 PM   #151
Sir Galahad
IndyFan

If I remember correctly when Indy read the sticker on the fridge it said it was made of lead. That would've given him some protection./
Sir Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:07 PM   #152
Mickiana
IndyFan

Lead does stop radiation, how well I don't know, but realistically the heat from the blast wave should have cooked Indy inside what would have been turned into a big oven. And then he would have been bashed to bits as the fridge was flung as far as it was depicted. BUT, that's not the point, is it?! There's nothing in all of Indiana Jones that is supposed to be realistic. If you want realistic, go stand on a street corner and watch the world. In another post, I mentioned that the problem with the fridge scene is that we don't see Indy escape. He gets in the fridge and then rolls out of it at the end. I didn't mind the fridge scene, but I thought this was an important divergence from the previous movies where we see Indy's physical effort in getting out of trouble. But then again, the first part of the movie does have two escape sequences - from Area 51 and then from Doomtown - and Indy is shown in full flight escaping from Area 51.
Mickiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:07 PM   #153
IndyJess

It was an empty vessel of a film if ever there was one, a perfect example of style over substance. And as the style was was questionable at best, that speaks volumes for what the movie had to offer - nothing!

this story was lazy, and waaay too long. the ending was self-indulgent with referential nods for both lucas and spielberg - embarrassing really.
IndyJess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:13 AM   #154
Indy Croft
IndyFan

i dont' understand why you hate it so much
Indy Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:49 AM   #155
belloq36
IndyFan

You know...I didn't like everything about the movie, but I did like it a lot. I'm planning on buying it on dvd because it is a worthy addition to the Indiana Jones saga, and I was, for the most part pleased. I don't understand how people just bash it...I personally don't think they gave it a chance. I mean, they probably went in with high expectations and were disappointed. I know I was. But then I thought about...saw it again, and was pleased. I just thought, 'the hell with it, this is an Indiana Jones film!'
belloq36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:22 PM   #156
Indy Croft
IndyFan

TOTALLY RIGHT DUDE!!!!!
Fianlly glad to see a lover

I'm sooooo sick and tired to enormous criticisms

But still this film was the second most sucessful film of 2008, with Dark Knight being the first
Old 10-05-2008, 03:37 PM   #157
Darth Vile
IndyFan

It will be interesting to see how many of those who said they didn't like it, fess' up to buying the DVD when it comes out...
Darth Vile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:46 PM   #158
IndyFan89
IndyFan

I didn't like it and i ain't even gonna front, I'll be first in line when best buy opens and i seen the film 8 times in the theater.

It's a love/hate relationship.

It disappointed me because Indy wasn't the star and E.T. was but at the same time it is my all time favorite hero back in another adventure and if anything you got to get exited about that.

I mean when push comes to shove It's still Indy, as a hole you either like the films or you don't. I do, some better then others but...

It's like having a favorite baseball team, lets say the Yankee's for example. Good for long time, now they suck, doesn't mean Yankee's fans are going to quit watching the games.
IndyFan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:30 AM   #159
IndyJr
IndyFan

to me, Indy IV is the 2nd best of the series... after Raiders of course
IndyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:01 AM   #160
Dr.Sartorius
IndyFan

Quote:
It disappointed me because Indy wasn't the star and E.T. was but at the same time it is my all time favorite hero back in another adventure and if anything you got to get exited about that.

I don't know how you can say Indy wasn't the star. Harrison clearly had the most screen time and he owned the role and the movie.
Dr.Sartorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:18 AM   #161
ninepinejones
IndyFan

I saw the film 3 times in the theater and cant wait for the dvd. belloq36's analogy of the yankees and their fans was dead on, its also interesting how home theater tends to be the launching pad for cult favorites considered by some as not really mainstream but with having a massive underground fan base who like the film so much they could watch it every night,like Ive been known to do with Raiders. I think once Crystal Skull is out on dvd it will get more respect like the previous two did, once they came out on vhs and people had time to absorb what they thought was a new Indy (much like the naysayers are doing now) the two films became cinematic cult legends.
ninepinejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:26 AM   #162
Darth Vile
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninepinejones
I saw the film 3 times in the theater and cant wait for the dvd. belloq36's analogy of the yankees and their fans was dead on, its also interesting how home theater tends to be the launching pad for cult favorites considered by some as not really mainstream but with having a massive underground fan base who like the film so much they could watch it every night,like Ive been known to do with Raiders. I think once Crystal Skull is out on dvd it will get more respect like the previous two did, once they came out on vhs and people had time to absorb what they thought was a new Indy (much like the naysayers are doing now) the two films became cinematic cult legends.

I think you are correct. Also, what else it demonstrates (this doesn't of course apply to everyone), is that no matter how some maintain their dislike for KOTCS, they are still willing to re-watch it over and over (and give it multiple chances). And it's this action, as you highlight, which will lead a fair proportion of those (who don’t like the movie) to revise their initial thoughts... And they will think, on reflection… "It’s not that bad after all".
Darth Vile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:22 AM   #163
Indy Croft
IndyFan

i don't think it deserves F or sth
Old 10-08-2008, 08:03 PM   #164
AtomicAge
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiana
Lead does stop radiation, how well I don't know, but realistically the heat from the blast wave should have cooked Indy inside what would have been turned into a big oven.

Actually this is not true at all. There were survivors in Hiroshima who got no burns at all just because they were standing behind a wooden fence, while someone standing very near them but unprotected by a fence were horribly burned. The heat from a somewhat low yield atomic bomb is actually fairly short duration.

Lead actually prevents the passage of gamma and x-rays, meaning that a lead lined fridge would prevent Jones from getting a massive dosage of radiation that would kill him in 2 or 3 weeks. The fridge would also protect him from what would be by far the most dangerous thing at that range, flying objects. The fact that he is fairly tightly crammed into the fridge might also prevent him from being killed by being thrown a great distance, but I suspect he would at lest have some broken bones.

Again I must state that these test "towns" were never build right at ground zero, but normally were half to a full mile away. It was not uncommon in atomic tests to have army personnel in open trenches less than a mile from ground zero with no short term effects at all.

Doug

Last edited by AtomicAge : 10-08-2008 at 08:09 PM.
AtomicAge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:22 PM   #165
Major West
IndyFan

I only saw the film once at the cinema, and liked it, but not loved it. I've watched the Blu-ray about 4 times now since Saturday and I really love the film now.

I think many people that think the film was just OK, will watch it a few more times and start to like it more. Assuming they didn't hate it in the first place. I feel sorry for some people that seem to have a few irrational obstacles about the film that can't get past.
Major West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:43 AM   #166
Indy Croft
IndyFan

the film was great, just could have been better. If they just didn't put the alien in it
Old 10-09-2008, 05:13 AM   #167
arkfinder
IndyFan

To me IV is miles better than "Temple of Doom." It's a great film and there was zero that bothered me. One or two things I would have left out (like the whole space between space line) but on the whole I really like the film.
arkfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 03:35 PM   #168
kongisking
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilp1976
From the height that they fell from that plane you'd still die a horrible death, so it doesn't really matter. Ideally, i'd get blasted by a nuclear bomb when hiding in a fridge with a dinghy to cushion the landing.

For those with fear of heights (like me! ) DEFINITELY the fridge!!!

Last edited by kongisking : 10-12-2008 at 03:59 PM.
kongisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:16 AM   #169
Indy Croft
IndyFan

those scenes were perfect magical realism
Old 10-14-2008, 09:17 AM   #170
IndyJess

Shia talks about Indy 4

Just so you know, i am half monkey. that completely explains how i can swing through the jungle on vines. That is also the reason that the monkeys followed me. I also went to a school on how to swordfight between two moving cars while being continuously hit in the testicles with plants. I graduated with full medals. I am also so gay that i need to continuously run a comb through my hair. By the way, Megan, i want you to take me back. I also hope there will be a transformers 2 so i can reclaim my career. And just so you know, i like working with elderly men like Harrison Ford. It makes total sense that he could be my father, considering our 40 year age difference.

Sincerely,
Shia Lebouf
IndyJess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:40 AM   #171
The Man
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJess
Just so you know, i am half monkey. that completely explains how i can swing through the jungle on vines. That is also the reason that the monkeys followed me. I also went to a school on how to swordfight between two moving cars while being continuously hit in the testicles with plants. I graduated with full medals. I am also so gay that i need to continuously run a comb through my hair. By the way, Megan, i want you to take me back. I also hope there will be a transformers 2 so i can reclaim my career. And just so you know, i like working with elderly men like Harrison Ford. It makes total sense that he could be my father, considerzing our 40 year age difference.

Sincerely,
Shia Lebouf

Honesty is all we demand...
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:39 AM   #172
AtomicAge
IndyFan

I thought this was the Indy 4 lovers thread? What are the likes of Jess and The Man doing here?

Doug
Old 10-14-2008, 10:42 AM   #173
The Man
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicAge
I thought this was the Indy 4 lovers thread? What are the likes of Jess and The Man doing here?

Doug

We come here on occasion to observe and study love...
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:53 AM   #174
AtomicAge
IndyFan

So basically your just here thread crapping.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:56 AM   #175
RedeemedChild
IndyFan

Despite The Flack, Who Loves It?

While Kingdom of the Crystal Skull have it's many blunders all in all it still is Indiana Jones nonetheless. So what gives?

In spite of it's flack I still find it an enjoyable movie as I know we might never ever get another Indiana Jones movie that is unless the next film is a prequel that would take place sometime between The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles and the thunderous events of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

One of my favorite sequences in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is the graveyard fight with Mutt and Indiana as they wack the zombie like thugs with shovels.

My other all time favorite scene is the nuclear wipe with Indy escaping in a refrigerator which I sometimes wonder if that was a shout out to folks escaping death in escape pods in Star Wars as escape pods and fudges aren't very far apart.

Plus, I love this movie because it was just so awesome in many ways. I mean, a crystal alien skull from outta this world? Man! How awesome is that? And Irina Spalko is simply downright cool!

So what do you guys find likable in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?
RedeemedChild is offline   Reply With Quote