Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Films
User Name
Password

Old 10-12-2005, 09:44 PM   #101
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Fedora
[...]I was responding to the idea that the Germans were "totally ineffective" against the Americans [...]

Fed,

I suspect roundshort doesn't really disagree with you. His earlier posting on American dominance against the huns was really about sticking it to a high strung German member of the Raven.
Joe Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 02:47 AM   #102
Webley
IndyFan

Thumbs up Best War movie

and the " Best War movie" is...

CATCH-22
Webley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 01:23 PM   #103
Brown Fedora
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Brody
Fed,

I suspect roundshort doesn't really disagree with you. His earlier posting on American dominance against the huns was really about sticking it to a high strung German member of the Raven.

Thanks for clarifying; no offense was intended, in any case, however!

-Alex
Brown Fedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:07 AM   #104
AndyLGR
IndyFan

I watched Fore 10 from Navarone last night, which was ok. Nothing brilliant. I thought the performances of Robert Shaw and Edward Fox with their stiff upper lip style soldiers were one of the worst aspects of the film. Along with the addition of Carl Weathers which was awful and seemed as though he was playing the dumb audience member, only added to get the main characters to explain the plot. Plus he was also subject to some typical 70's racism too. This film wasn't as good as the book either. It was interesting to note the cross over actors in there with actors meeting who starred in Star Wars, ESB, The Spy who Love Me and TLC. Anyway it got me thinking about the better war movies that are out there too.

Stalag 17 - A great film that works well despite its claustrophobic setting of just being in a prison camp. Theres plenty of humour along the way and I like the sub-plot of them trying to find the traitor in their midst too. Which also reminds me of Danger Within, another POW UK movie.

Where Eagles Dare - My favourite of the sabotage secret mission movies, probably because of the addition of Clint Eastwood.

Guns of Navarone - another great example of the sabotage movie. However I do think that this one also isn't as good as the book that its based on.

Ice Cold in Alex - surely one of the best movies ever made. John Mills starred in many enjoyable war movies and this is possibly his best. Again as with many war films theres the addition of a traitor in their midst, however the performances of the central cast are fantastic. I like the fact that come the end of the film he's one of them and seems respected for his help in getting them to Alexandria

I'm not sure if these 3 movies count as bona fide war movies, but Green for Danger, Cottage to Let and Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Weapon are other favourites of mine. Green for Danger is set during the war at a hospital in London and follows Alastair Sim as he tries to track a murderer. Cottage to Let is set in Scotland and is about an inventor that the nazi's are trying to kidnap. Again theres an undercover Nazi in their midst. The Sherlock Holmes movie is part of the series that they set in the present day and basically made them in to war propaganda movies, this one is about a bomb sight that must be kept secret from the Nazis.

Last edited by AndyLGR : 01-02-2013 at 07:17 AM.
AndyLGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #105
featofstrength
IndyFan

the Gallant Hours, Mr. Roberts, Zulu and Downfall are on my list
featofstrength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #106
WilliamBoyd8
IndyFan

I liked "Thirty Seconds over Tokyo" since I saw it on television as a kid.

WilliamBoyd8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #107
AndyLGR
IndyFan

Too late the Hero is another war movie I like to watch.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #108
JuniorJones
TR.N Staff Member

Paths of Glory.

Stripes! But with a serious face.

JuniorJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:43 AM   #109
AndyLGR
IndyFan

Picked up some war DVDs this week:

Cottage to Let, strangely one of the main plot points of the film is who the spy is, and yet on the rear cover art they reveal it straight away in the synopsis.

They who Dare, set on Rhodes with a team of allied commandos sent to sabotage 2 airfields. This features denholm Elliott as one of the leads.

The wooden Horse, a pow story as the prisoners use a gym wooden horse to disguise their tunnel digging.

Colditz Story, another pow film starring john mills following the various escape attempts of the prisoners. This is one of my favourites.

Dunkirk, a classic that follows the events leading up to to the evacuation from the perspective of troops stuck in France and those organising the rescue attempt. Richard Attenborough stars in this.

Halfway house, a tenuous link to war. This is an Ealing movie that sees a group of strangers take shelter in an inn during a storm. The eerie thing is that the inn was destroyed and the owners killed in a German bombing raid a year earlier.

Last edited by AndyLGR : 09-03-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:26 PM   #110
jsarino
IndyFan

I don't think I saw this in any of the posts, so I'll add Battle of Britain on this list. Spectacular aerial sequences, using a number of the actual aircraft, along with actual RAF bases and even fully functional operations rooms were used in the film. A number of known actors and actresses were in this film: Laurence Olivier, Trevor Howard, Robert Shaw, Christopher Plummer, Michael Cane, Susannah York, Ian McShane, Ralph Richardson, Curt Jurgens among others.
jsarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:43 PM   #111
Moedred
Administrator

The last half hour of Heartbreak Ridge is probably the only film depiction of the 1983 Invasion of Grenada. Clint Eastwood takes his usual leisurely pace getting there, during which the only surprise is seeing the real Duke Nukem, former NFL lineman Pete Koch. The classic line, gamers will recall, takes place on a football field.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:13 PM   #112
Duaner
IndyFan

I am a huge fan of war films. Right now, with this being the 100th anniversary of World War I, I am making a point of watching as many WWI-era films as I can. Some of the best are: Paths of Glory, All Quiet on the Western Front, Sergeant York, Lawrence of Arabia, Gallipoli, and War Horse. In my opinion, WWI is sort of overlooked in Hollywood. If anyone knows any other good WWI films I should watch, let me know.
Duaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:06 AM   #113
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duaner
In my opinion, WWI is sort of overlooked in Hollywood. If anyone knows any other good WWI films I should watch, let me know.
Hi, Duaner. You've noted most of the best WW1 films (particularly my personal favourite, "Paths of Glory") so it's a pleasure to see someone like you join The Raven. Welcome!

Possible reasons why Hollywood has "overlooked" World War One: On the grand scale of American military history, it isn't as important in shaping the country as the Revolution, Civil War, Indian Wars, WW2 & Vietnam and, in the long run, appears to be considered a relatively minor event (despite the massive numbers involved). Plus, the U.S. joined late and were only engaged during the final year of a very long fight. Not enough material to exploit, perhaps? The subject matter is also just too depressing & not fashionable. It must be hard to build heroic stories from such a senseless conflict because it's a war without a message (the only message being: anti-war) and Hollywood usually wants a happy ending. That's my take on it, anyway.

Hope you're not averse to foreign films because I've included some in my list of recommendations. These are my top choices after what you've already mentioned (listed chronologically):

1930 - "Westfront 1918 / West Front 1918" (German)
1932 - "Les Croix de Bois / Wooden Crosses" (French)
1934 - "Stosstrupp 1917 / Shock Troop 1917" (German)
1936 - "The Road to Glory"
1940 - "The Fighting 69th"
1959 - "La Grande Guerra / The Great War" (Italian)
1964 - "King and Country"
1966 - "The Blue Max"
1969 - "Oh! What a Lovely War"
1976 - "Aces High"
1979 - "All Quiet on the Western Front"
1987 - "The Lighthorsemen"
2001 - "The Lost Battalion"
2014 - "Apocalypse: World War I"

Re. the '79 version of "All Quiet": Yes, there already was an excellent adaptation and, yes, this was one made for TV but it's very good and worth watching. Richard Thomas (remember John Boy from "The Waltons"?) is well cast as the youth. Various clips were used in 2 Young Indy episodes.

Footage from "The Lighthorsemen" and "Aces High" (1976) was also used in Young Indy as well. As a matter of fact, we have a thread dedicated to The Lighthorsemen.

"Apocalypse: World War I" (2014) is a brand new documentary series done entirely with colourized footage. Sound effects have been meticulously synchronized to the shots and the result is like stepping into a time machine. Tonnes of incredible stuff here and I highly recommend this to anyone with an interest in the subject.

"Stosstrupp 1917" is probably the NOISIEST movie I've ever seen. It's a non-stop barrage of gunfire & exploding shells, grenades, etc. Filmed with real soldiers using LIVE AMMUNITION! Bought this on DVD a few years ago and was blown away. It's intense and a must-see.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:07 AM   #114
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Re. the '79 version of "All Quiet": Yes, there already was an excellent adaptation and, yes, this was one made for TV but it's very good and worth watching. Richard Thomas (remember John Boy from "The Waltons"?) is well cast as the youth. Various clips were used in 2 Young Indy episodes.

I saw this for the first time last week. Had an impressive cast list -with Borgnine, Pleasance, Holm and even The Last Crusade's Hitler as John Boy's dad.

Never read Remarque's novel, nor seen the original film, but I can see where Hans Hellmut Kirst and Sven Hassel drew their inspiration!

Found the original version here: http://www.veoh.com/watch/v1486715ef...+Front +(1930)

Quote:
"Stosstrupp 1917" is probably the NOISIEST movie I've ever seen. It's a non-stop barrage of gunfire & exploding shells, grenades, etc. Filmed with real soldiers using LIVE AMMUNITION! Bought this on DVD a few years ago and was blown away. It's intense and a must-see.

There's a copy of this on YouTube:

Quote:

Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:00 PM   #115
Duaner
IndyFan

Quote:
Hi, Duaner. You've noted most of the best WW1 films (particularly my personal favourite, "Paths of Glory") so it's a pleasure to see someone like you join The Raven. Welcome!

Possible reasons why Hollywood has "overlooked" World War One: On the grand scale of American military history, it isn't as important in shaping the country as the Revolution, Civil War, Indian Wars, WW2 & Vietnam and, in the long run, appears to be considered a relatively minor event (despite the massive numbers involved). Plus, the U.S. joined late and were only engaged during the final year of a very long fight. Not enough material to exploit, perhaps? The subject matter is also just too depressing & not fashionable. It must be hard to build heroic stories from such a senseless conflict because it's a war without a message (the only message being: anti-war) and Hollywood usually wants a happy ending. That's my take on it, anyway.

Hope you're not averse to foreign films because I've included some in my list of recommendations. These are my top choices after what you've already mentioned (listed chronologically):

1932 - "Les Croix de Bois / Wooden Crosses" (French)
1934 - "Stosstrupp 1917 / Shock Troop 1917" (German)
1936 - "The Road to Glory"
1940 - "The Fighting 69th"
1959 - "La Grande Guerra / The Great War" (Italian)
1964 - "King and Country"
1966 - "The Blue Max"
1969 - "Oh! What a Lovely War"
1976 - "Aces High"
1979 - "All Quiet on the Western Front"
1987 - "The Lighthorsemen"
2001 - "The Lost Battalion"
2014 - "Apocalypse: World War I"

Footage from "The Lighthorsemen" and "Aces High" (1976) was also used in Young Indy as well. As a matter of fact, we have a thread dedicated to The Lighthorsemen.

"Apocalypse: World War I" (2014) is a brand new documentary series done entirely with colourized footage. Sound effects have been meticulously synchronized to the shots and the result is like stepping into a time machine. Tonnes of incredible stuff here and I highly recommend this to anyone with an interest in the subject.

I completely agree that "Paths of Glory" is the best of all WWI films and I think your take on why WWI is so overlooked makes sense. For some reason I have just always been intrigued by the era. I think watching "Young Indy" as a kid may have sparked some of that interest.

Thanks for the great list! I am definitely going to seek these titles out and watch them. I remember watching "The Lost Battalion" but I've not seen any of the others.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:35 PM   #116
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
I completely agree that "Paths of Glory" is the best of all WWI films and I think your take on why WWI is so overlooked makes sense. For some reason I have just always been intrigued by the era. I think watching "Young Indy" as a kid may have sparked some of that interest.

Thanks for the great list! I am definitely going to seek these titles out and watch them. I remember watching "The Lost Battalion" but I've not seen any of the others.
Duaner, you are welcome. 5-6 weeks passed without anybody answering your question…(which says a lot about the sad & pathetic state of this place). Ask the current, active Raven members about their favourite WW1 films and you will probably get:

1) Jurassic Park
2) Ghostbusters
3) Captain Leotard: Springtime Pansy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smiff
I saw this for the first time last week.
Good! 35 years later is never too late! Nice spot on John Boy's dad.
Quote:
I think watching "Young Indy" as a kid may have sparked some of that interest.
If you watched Young Indy as a "kid" then perhaps you aren't familiar with John Boy from "The Waltons"?

Anyway, check out "The Fighting 69th" for a full-blooded Hollywood treatment of World War One (if that's what you're after).
Old 07-05-2015, 06:28 PM   #117
Duaner
IndyFan

Revisiting this thread because I am still on my WWI film kick (in honor of the 100th anniversary we are in the middle of). I recently rewatched "Gallipoli" to coincide with the 100th anniversary of that campaign. That's a great movie - very powerful ending.

Quote:
Anyway, check out "The Fighting 69th" for a full-blooded Hollywood treatment of World War One (if that's what you're after).

I am slowly making my way through your list and I located a copy of "The Fighting 69th" in my local library system. I will be checking that out and watching it soon. I have since watched "The Blue Max" (loved it!), rewatched "The Lost Battalion" (even as a TV movie it ranks right up there with the other WWI films and has an Indiana Jones connection - Wolf Kahler (Dietrich from "Raiders"), and I also saw the 1979 "All Quiet on the Western Front" (very good, but I prefer the original). Last Christmas, I watched "Joyeux Noel" as well. It sort of bored me. I think a better film about the Christmas Truce could be made.

Right now if I ranked all the WWI films I have seen it would look as follows:

1. Paths of Glory
2. Lawrence of Arabia
3. All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)
4. Sergeant York
5. War Horse
6. Gallipoli
7. The Blue Max
8. The Lost Battalion
9. All Quiet on the Western Front (1979)
10. Joyeux Noel
11. Flyboys

I feel like I probably left something out. As I said, I'll be watching "The Fighting 69th" soon. Has anyone seen "Beneath Hill 60" or "The Water Diviner"?
Old 07-06-2015, 03:33 PM   #118
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Right now if I ranked all the WWI films I have seen it would look as follows:

1. Paths of Glory
2. Lawrence of Arabia
3. All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)
4. Sergeant York
5. War Horse
6. Gallipoli
7. The Blue Max
8. The Lost Battalion
9. All Quiet on the Western Front (1979)
10. Joyeux Noel
11. Flyboys

I feel like I probably left something out.

Well, since you seem to like a couple of aviation films, perhaps Wings? Nice, frank love story (that's really more about the bond between the men in it, as it happens), and a great star-making cameo from Gary Cooper.

And then there's the WWI film that came out just 7 years after the end of the war, The Big Parade.

Do we have a rule against gifs, fellas?
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:27 PM   #119
Stoo
IndyFan

Quote:
I am slowly making my way through your list...
Pleased to hear, Duaner, and I'm happy that you enjoyed the John-Boy-Walton-version of "All Quiet on the Western Front". I think it's great but not better than the original. If you loved "Blue Max" then, for sure, you will like "Aces High". Put that next on your viewing list (along with Attila's recommendation of "Wings"). It'll be a long time before I watch "Gallipoli" again. It's excellent but, man, is it ever depressing.

When you eventually see, "The Fighting 69th", it's going to knock something off your top 11 list, without a doubt.

As for the Christmas Truce: "Oh, What A Lovely War!" has a poignant vignette about it, as well as Paul McCartney's 1983 video for "The Pipes of Peace" (especially its ending).

I've never seen "Beneath Hill 60" nor "The Water Diviner" so thanks for pointing them out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
And then there's the WWI film that came out just 7 years after the end of the war, The Big Parade.
Never seen "The Big Parade" either but have been wanting to for a long time. Thanks for the reminder!
Old 07-22-2017, 07:22 PM   #120
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Not that it is a traditional war movie but folks will need to be adding Dunkirk to their list.

One of the drawbacks of living in the sticks is that we don't have a great IMAX by us but by happenstance we were on the road to day and had a coupe of hours in our schedule and saw it. Great film. Even my even anti-war kid was jacked up.
Joe Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:05 AM   #121
dr.jones1986
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Brody
Not that it is a traditional war movie but folks will need to be adding Dunkirk to their list.

One of the drawbacks of living in the sticks is that we don't have a great IMAX by us but by happenstance we were on the road to day and had a coupe of hours in our schedule and saw it. Great film. Even my even anti-war kid was jacked up.

I saw it in IMAX on Friday and was very impressed. One of the best war movies of the past several years.
dr.jones1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:04 AM   #122
Kai Hagen
IndyFan

My opinion on Apocalypse Now changed when I watched it again.

The first time I watched it was before CGI technology. I was spoiled by the numerous war movies that used real explosives, real military vehicles, and real extras. And people had small televisions back then. I couldn't appreciate the visual appeal. Also, I didn't understand certain scenes in Apocalypse Now such as when a soldier was surfing in a battlefield. And I didn't understand the appearance of a tribal faction in the last part and why they followed a US special forces officer. It all seemed arrogant to me.

The second time, I watched with a larger screen and with Blu-ray. WOW!!
Kai Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote