Favorite weapon from Emperors Tomb

Gear

Yeah, there have been plot reflections in Temple of Doom and Last Crusade; like Indy reaching for his pistol on the two Thugees, the guy going through the steam roller and Willie turning away in horror or young Indy leaping on to the train in LC, so I guess theres some give-way in the games plot's. I never ment to imply that I didn't like ET, I was actually trying to defend it.
Something, however, that I dont understand about ET is why they made Indy's foe Nazis. He's already faught them twice in the movies and once in the games. I mean, dont get me wrong, I loved ET, its just why Nazis again?
Thats one of the reasons I dont have a huge interest in playing FoA because I've already played ET and really liked the plot so FoA doesn't fit in too well (sorry guys). But hey, that doesn't mean I dont want to have a go at it... *sigh* Hard to explain...

As for PC games, they have a tendancy to lock up, crash or studer. That is unless you have a really good computer, and besides, I already have a PS2...and no money for a really good computer :)

Any way, favorite weapon:
The grenades were nice... and scary, but I think I liked the Smith & Wesson ;) best.

Finn

Staff member
gear guardian said:
I never ment to imply that I didn't like ET, I was actually trying to defend it.
Yeah, at least I got as much.

The use of Nazis as villain in ET is bit of a forced entry, yes. And I wonder what you mean by not wanting to play FoA because you like ET's plot, as the two games have no plot contrivances at all. It's ET plot compared to the movies I have complaints about.

Besides, Nazis really are the logical enemy in FoA. It's dated 1939, the eve of the World War II and majority of the game takes place in different locations around the Mediterranean. Actually using an enemy other than Nazis would have felt more odd.

And as far as IM vs. ET discussion goes, simply as a video game, ET is better of the two. It's better in the technical sense and in a way, more fun to play. But as a canon piece, ET is (in my opinion) pure rubbish.

IM is a passable game. One could never play it, and still miss nothing. FoA, instead... well, let's just say that it hasn't been referred to as "Indiana Jones 4" for nothing. The plot, the setting, the outcome and Indy's character in that game... is a perfect, fluid continuation of the movies. One can not let this one pass by and call him- or herself an Indy gamer. People who know me (and my love for this game) can call this a subjective statement if they want. I don't care.

I call it fact.

Gear

I dont understand what you mean by ET's plot smashing with the films. Theres not really much I see that suports your claim.

The use of Nazis in ET and FoA is what bothers me. Indy has already battled them three times before FoA and so, to me, that seems like a forced entry. But then FoA was created how many years before Emperors Tomb? I guess I would like to play it, its just I would feel like I'd have to choose over the two because together they sort of clash. Thats why I dont understand why they decided to have Indy up against Nazis, because, like I said, it clashes with FoA.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
gear guardian said:
I dont understand what you mean by ET's plot smashing with the films. Theres not really much I see that suports your claim.

The use of Nazis in ET and FoA is what bothers me. Indy has already battled them three times before FoA and so, to me, that seems like a forced entry. But then FoA was created how many years before Emperors Tomb? I guess I would like to play it, its just I would feel like I'd have to choose over the two because together they sort of clash. Thats why I dont understand why they decided to have Indy up against Nazis, because, like I said, it clashes with FoA.

Well, it's not quite a clash; after all, the reasons the Nazis showed up in the Indy films (and other media) to begin with is that they were, in actuality, interested in the occult. Apart from that, they're easy to hate and have an interesting aesthetic sense that comes off well in video games.

Fate of Atlantis precedes Emperor's Tomb by eleven years, in which time the charming and easily canon Desktop Adventures and the well-scaled and adventuresome Infernal Machine also came out.

I like Emperor's Tomb, I really do, and it's arguably more fun than Infernal Machine, but the fighting, though fantastic, gets tedious, and it doesn't even begin to exploit the advantages of Shi Huang Di's tomb as a gaming location What kind of fool passes up a map of the world made with flowing mercury, gold, and gems, or crossbows rigged as traps? It just isn't as deep in parts or quite as satisfying, I feel.

Gear

Quick question...

I read about this a long time ago on a tips and tricks web site for Emperors Tomb but the person who posted it didn't explain it well. I know this question doesn't belong on this thread but, what ever. ;)

Any way: how do you kick villians in the balls?

Junior Jones

My favorite weapon(s): the stuff you just pick up off the ground. It's so cool to be in the middle of a fistfight and then stop to pick up a glass bottle or a broken table leg to beat your opponent with.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
The main mistake of the ET plot is the way Wu Han is treated, because in ToD he says that he's followed Indy on many adventures while in the game it seems like there were two of them, the Heart of the Dragon and the Remains of Nurhachi.

You kick enemies to the balls by grabbing their fist while they strike.

Gear

Thank you VP.

And I think the way Wu Han was included in the game was a bit of a problem too, however Indy goes on small sabaticals all the time so perhaps Wu Han followed him on some adventure or two to find some sort of golden coin or sculpted rock idol in a jungle or snowy plain... some thing like that, but in saying all this, at the end of ET, Wu Han says something about meeting Lao Che to discuss buisness.

Marcus Jones

Like a lot of people have said, the fists have to be the best weapon in the game. It just feels so Indy when your beating up Nazis! I also like the prop weapons (like shovels, chairs, bottles, etc) becuase they're quite effective and they also feel very Indy! :)

Professor Jones

Marcus Jones said:
Like a lot of people have said, the fists have to be the best weapon in the game. It just feels so Indy when your beating up Nazis! I also like the prop weapons (like shovels, chairs, bottles, etc) becuase they're quite effective and they also feel very Indy! :)

I perfectly agree.... I regret they didn't made the whip more powerful.:whip:

Professor Jones

ClintonHammond said:
But a whip isn't a powerful weapon.

...and girls hardly could transforms into flying spitting-fire dragons. ;) If there should be some fantasy in Indy's games I would prefere to push the pedal on the classical Indy's weapon more then other elements of the plot.

If you mean what I think you mean.... "some fantasy in Indy's games"

Without it, the punch-punch-kick thing would get REALLY tired really fast...

I LIKE the way that Emperor's Tomb gets more and more 'unreal' as the game progresses. Keeps it from becoming stale through repetition

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Professor Jones said:
If there should be some fantasy in Indy's games I would prefere to push the pedal on the classical Indy's weapon more then other elements of the plot.
Infernal Machine had an electric charged whip and it sucked.

Finn

Staff member
VP said:
Infernal Machine had an electric charged whip and it sucked.
The whip in IM sucked even without the charge. As a weapon, that is.

As a tool it filled its slot nicely, however.

Gear

ResidentAlien said:
It's there... last level of the game. Gah, I always used to die right before obtaining it... one of these days I will beat that damned game...

Oh, well if its only at the last level thats not so bad. If it had been throughout the entire game though...

gear guardian said:
Oh, well if its only at the last level thats not so bad. If it had been throughout the entire game though...

Yeah, it's not. Just the final level. You use it to defeat the last boss. Bastard always killed me before I could get the thing...