• Last Crusade

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters

Henry W Jones

RKORadio said:
Henry

I've watched all three "classic" Indiana Jones films.

I'm not here to mindlessly trash them.

Watching them and being a fan are two separate things. Why are you at the Raven? I am not attacking you, I am just curious. Your interest in the films seems minimal unless it is finding social issues in it. Even if you are "mindfully" trashing them, your interest seems to stop there and it tells me you are more interested in finding fault then appreciating the films. Your comments are never positive toward the movies and most of your comments are about sexism and racism. Get over it already. You are woman and we have all heard you roar.

Montana Smith

RKORadio said:
I am a fan of the films - I just see that they could have been a bit more sensitive when making them.

Don't let the big boys bully you. ;)

Just put into words, with evidence, the reasoning behind your claims.

It won't make the blind bit of difference in the long run, though.

Montana Smith said:
Don't let the big boys bully you. ;)
...and certainly ignore impassioned pleas!:p

Montana Smith said:
Just put into words, with evidence, the reasoning behind your claims.
A better aspect to a post you have never produced...on the other hand, your "considered" revision:

Montana Smith said:
It won't make the blind bit of difference in the long run, though.

Really RKO, I wouldn't take this insult from Montana sitting down! The obvious moral benefit to self examination isn't a fruitless exercize in your case, now is it?

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Really RKO, I wouldn't take this insult from Montana sitting down! The obvious moral benefit to self examination isn't a fruitless exercize in your case, now is it?

The insult wasn't aimed at RKO.

Henry W Jones

RKORadio said:
I am a fan of the films. I just see that they could have been a bit more sensitive when making them.

What are you a fan of? Still no examples. Where could they be more sensitive? You still haven't answered any of my questions. They are racist because the could have be more sensitive is a weak response and does not explain why you find it racist.

Henry W Jones said:
What are you a fan of? Still no examples. Where could they be more sensitive? You still haven't answered any of my questions. They are racist because the could have be more sensitive is a weak response and does not explain why you find it racist.

I'd like to think you'd get an answer eventually, but Stephen Colbert sumed up my perception of those who would vote the film(s) racist and not defend their position:
“I like that ineffable thing, because then I get to say something is true and then go, I can’t explain it… I’m right though.”

All I can say is keep trying.:hat:

RKORadio

One undeniable fact is that the Indian government complained about the country's portrayal in Temple. Probably, many Indians were also upset.

That's what leaves a sour taste in my mouth - you can't just transport 1930s serials into the 1980s without compensating for the more cruel and insensitive parts of those serials.

RKORadio said:
One undeniable fact is that the Indian government complained about the country's portrayal in Temple. Probably, many Indians were also upset.

That's what leaves a sour taste in my mouth - you can't just transport 1930s serials into the 1980s without compensating for the more cruel and insensitive parts of those serials.
I won't bother getting into the legacy of corruption regarding the Indian Government in the 1980s and the demands they made on the production...however, depending on your willingness to discuss it I think there are important aspects to the claim.

The most important: which of the governments complaints do you agree with?

What cruel and insensitive parts of the 1930s serials do you see transported to Temple of Doom and what would be acceptable compensation in your view?

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Rocket Surgeon said:
All I can say is keep trying.:hat:

Your obstinacy is fun in the same way as crashing my head against a wall. However, I like that feeling of dizziness.

Can I ask you this.

What, in your view, is racism?

Don’t push it back to me. I would like you to define it. Use a dictionary if you wish.

Henry W Jones

RKORadio said:

So, your only response is "the Indian government complained about the country's portrayal in Temple. Probably, many Indians were also upset". So again, you have no opinion except other peoples opinion. What scenes do you personally find offensive? Not what the Indian government found offensive. What leaves a sour taste in my mouth is how little people think for themselves

JuniorJones said:
Your obstinacy is fun in the same way as crashing my head against a wall. However, I like that feeling of dizziness.

Can I ask you this.

What, in your view, is racism?

Don’t push it back to me. I would like you to define it. Use a dictionary if you wish.

www.merriam-webster.com said:
rac·ism
noun \ˈrā-ˌsi-zəm also -ˌshi-\

Definition of RACISM
1: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

2: racial prejudice or discrimination

There is no statements made that behavior of the characters is what all Indian people are like. It is not even implied. Just because Indiana Jones is white and the hero of the film does not make it implied he is superior. There is no racial slurs (unless you count "Nazi's. I hate these guys") and Indy does not act like he is better than other races in any of the films. He does not always do the right thing but that does not make him a racist. Maybe he is motivated by the cash and doesn't care what race he takes artifact from. It doesn't have to be about race and I feel it is never made out to be that way in the films. Don't push this back either, where are your examples of racism in the films?

Vance

Well, guys, I think it's time to end the argument.

Seriously, I'm not even sure what you're trying to prove anymore than "I really want revenge for all the times I was picked on in high school". It's pathetic.

This should have been an interesting conversation about how racial views and stereotypes appeared both in Indiana Jones and the films from which they homaged. Instead it's become... this... a very shameful thread that's an embarassment to The Raven as well to fans of all pulps.

Last edited by a moderator: