Why Temple of Doom is the best of the Indy Movies

Although temple of doom is not perfect, the following is why it?s the best Indy movie in many peoples opinion. I, on the other hand, have come to the realization that Temple of Doom is not only the best of the Indy movies, but it is the best action movie of all time as well. For instance, the finest soundtrack goes to Temple of Doom. Short Round is the coolest character from the entire trilogy. The screenplay while not original has its moments of forced humor. The snake-eating scene was great, pay particular attention to Chattar Lal and Indy?s conversation to see what I mean. It has the darkest atmosphere like Empire Strikes Back did. In that way it is comparable to Wagner?s Der Ring des Nibelungen in the way that he went deep into German mythology. While I find the entire mine car chase to be really lackluster and overblown the rope bridge scene is good enough. Indy?s character seems to be driven by Schopenhauer ideology e.g. did not believe that people had individual wills but were rather simply part of a vast and single will that pervades the universe. In his search for the sacred stones. The special effects are the greatest also the superlative matte paintings. It reminds me of the artwork of Bernini and Raphael. The psychology that motivates each character is well researched. Harrison looks the best as Indy e.g has his shirt off for most of the movie. One of his best performances as Indy although Last Crusade was his crowning achievement. Incomparable production design. This movie shows how Indy reacts to the unpredictable. You can truly see how great a man is when he is thrown into a situation as opposed to when he goes in willingly. This shows us a more determined Indy. However I agree that it has the weakest story line (idea stolen from Gunga Din). I also agree that Mola Ram isn?t that good a baddie nevertheless he?s cool. Willie is the second most excellent Indy girl after Marion. It?s like four perfectly composed movements of a symphony. You have an intro middle and an end. Or like complex numbers e.g
Say P(x) = a x5 + bx4 + cx3 + dx2 + ex + f
We factor this polynomial: P(x) = a(x-g)(x-h)(x-i)(x-j)(x-k)
Then P(x) = a(x5 - (g+h+i+j+k)x4 + ...+(-1)5 ghijk)
Hence , -a(g+h+i+j+k) = b
and a((-1)5 ghijk) = f
The sum of the roots is -b/a
This formula holds for every polynomial equation !
The product of the roots is (-1)5 f/a
For a polynomial equation of degree n, we have
The product of the roots is (-1)n l/a . (l is the last coefficient)
So to recapitulate:
1. Temple of Doom is the only movie that has Indy completely on the run.
In the other two movies, Indy is on a quest. Although he may be chased for several scenes, ultimately, he knew what he was getting into.

2. Indy is not selfish - he's just trying to survive. As opposed to trying to raid a tomb, Indy is trying to survive.

3. Indy does not sleep with the lame girl in this movie. The lamest part about Temple of Doom is the annoying girl that is with him the entire journey. The redeeming part is that Indy does not sleep with her as is his style in the other two movies.

4. Hands down, best climax.

What does Indy do when all hope is lost? Simple: he goes kamikaze. Stuck on a bridge hundreds of feet above a rushing river full of alligators and surrounded by evil men with swords Indiana Jones attempts to kill everyone. These are just a few things to consider the next time you see Temple of Doom. I haven't even gotten into obvious things like the kid sidekick, the uniqueness of the plot, the lack of Nazis, or how this movie went on to be the inspiration of dozens of other great adventure movies.

Remember, just because it's the middle child and doesn't have Sean Connery in it, doesn't mean Temple of Doom should be neglected. In fact, as proven here, it should be your favorite.

00Kevin

Indyfan
perhaps it is the best judgeing by the violence, but it had no deep meaning and values. A Dark film, although I watch and injoy it as a pure black-and-white sort of plot, but I expect more out of an indy film

Grimdiana Bones

I agree, temple is my favorite. And I think one of the things that really sells me on it is, like you said, the lack of nazis. Its good to see the universe of indy branching out into broader horizons.

The bridge scene is also my favorite part of the trilogy. Even when all hope seemed gone, he found a way :)

IndyBuff

I also have to agree that Temple of Doom is probably my favorite (although LC and ROTLA are awesome too.) The setting and plot are unique to Indy's world simply because it's so vastly different from the other two films (no Nazis, no artifact of biblical significance, etc.) and the last 30 minutes is a pure adrenaline rush. The mine cart scene is my favorite part of the movie, but the beginning in Club Obi-Wan, the bridge and the spike room also get an honorable mention. :whip:

San Holo

Good post Vogel - Temple of Doom is hands down my favorite. It is a very complex movie that mixes the darkest elements of the series with some of the best comedy in an Indy flick. Like you said, the action never slows down and the characters have an awesome chemistry.The dialogue is very witty, from Club Obi Wan and Willie's bedroom, to the bridge. All of these things add a depth to the story that is not seen in many movies. I hope Indy 4 follows in ToD's footsteps.

theinfiniteweird

Good post. But I have to say...

Colonel Vogel said:
For instance, the finest soundtrack goes to Temple of Doom. Short Round is the coolest character from the entire trilogy. ... The snake-eating scene was great... While I find the entire mine car chase to be really lackluster and overblown the rope bridge scene is good enough. ... The special effects are the greatest also the superlative matte paintings. ... The psychology that motivates each character is well researched. Harrison looks the best as Indy... ... One of his best performances as Indy although Last Crusade was his crowning achievement. Incomparable production design. ... This shows us a more determined Indy. ... I also agree that Mola Ram isn?t that good a baddie nevertheless he?s cool. Willie is the second most excellent Indy girl after Marion. ... Hands down, best climax.

...all of the above is entirely opinion. While I do agree with some of it, and with some of your other stuff, you can't state opinion as if it's fact- which is almost what you're doing here- and expect it to be fact with everyone.

But like I stated first and foremost, good post (none-the-less).

Canyon

Vogel, great post! :D

Although Temple is not my favourite Indy movie, I have to agree with most of what you have said.

I feel that Temple is an extremely under-rated movie, and deserves more attention.

Colonel Vogel said:
It?s like four perfectly composed movements of a symphony. You have an intro middle and an end. Or like complex numbers e.g
Say P(x) = a x5 + bx4 + cx3 + dx2 + ex + f
We factor this polynomial: P(x) = a(x-g)(x-h)(x-i)(x-j)(x-k)
Then P(x) = a(x5 - (g+h+i+j+k)x4 + ...+(-1)5 ghijk)
Hence , -a(g+h+i+j+k) = b
and a((-1)5 ghijk) = f
The sum of the roots is -b/a
This formula holds for every polynomial equation !
The product of the roots is (-1)5 f/a
For a polynomial equation of degree n, we have
The product of the roots is (-1)n l/a . (l is the last coefficient)

Uh, sorry, but, I uh, didn't quite understand this part. It's probably because me and maths really don't get on. :(

Indy, welcome to The Raven! :whip:

Temple is my fav, but I have to disagree with this...

"Indy is not selfish"
Indy spends MOST of the movie interested in 2 things... fortune and glory... What makes Temple such a good story is his move AWAY from such things to a more noble cause...

The Indy who first walked into that village, who first heard about the Shankara Stones was interested in them because they were valuable... and ONLY because they were valuable... The more suffering he sees as the story goes on, especially the suffering of children (Deep father issues, we know....) the further away from greed he moves.... It's that story of redemption that George lucas keeps writing over and over and over... not realizing that the best telling of it he's done was in Temple Of Doom...

Grimdiana Bones

I'm glad to see so many other people love ToD the most. I thought I was a lone soul on this matter, most of the people I talk to love raiders.

rubix

temple of doom is definately my favorite indiana jones movie too. i love the whole atmosphere of it and the pseduo-satanic cult like ways of the bad guys. i also saw this in the theaters when i was about the same age as short round, so it had more meaning to me because i could picture myself in that situation and imagine how scary and horrible it would be to be enslaved there.

the music is definately great too and the intro with the dancing and fighting is awesome. short round is easily the best sidekick character ever and everything he says is hilarious.

there is nothing i do not like about this movie. and the other movies are extremely good too, but this one is better (to me). it saddens me that many do not like it, even lucas and speilberg seem to hate it.

KDuncan

temple of john said:
I actually think ToD was the worst of the three, by far. RoTLA was easily the most fast paced, original of the three. LC, though not a great film, was still better in many ways than ToD. Willie and Short Round were both annoying and getting in the way. I could go on and on but, why bother.

I agree with ToJ on this one... Willie was extremely annoying (Short Round was OK).. The mine cart race was awesome, but some parts just weren't really that fun.

roundshort

I have often said ToD is the best of te Indy movies for many of the reasons you stated above, but I will go a little deeper please excuse my ramblings . . .

The conflict Belloq talks about in RotLA about being pushed from the light, good vs. evil etc, I feel is the whole plot of ToD, yes Willie sucks as a character, but she is all about greed and capialism, worring about her dress over a uy who has just tried to skewer her, and the diamond she values so much, etc . . .

Indy begins the movie by selling a priceless artifact for a diamond, a big one, not an artifact. He then gets sidetracked to a run down villiage in India and only when he realizes that he might acheive "fortune and Glory" does he care and deciede to find the stone, not for the village but for himself!, greedy bastard!

Of course he sees the kiddies working and his heart strings are pulled and he gives the stone back instead of keeping it, thus keeing him in the light, not pushing him to the (excuse me here) dark side.

ToD has the most Han Solo like moment all Indy movies when he is armed witht he whip and machette, he chases the 2 thuggee around the corner, only to come running back outnumbered by thuggee, straight out of "A New Hope"

While ToD is my favorite, Raiders is the most important and I do not think that Indy would have the place it has in movie lore if ToD had been first, but the Indy charater would not be what it is without TOD, I can take or leave LC though!

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Colonel Vogel was the biggest troll in the history of the Raven and has been banned for a long time.