Can someone explain something to me?!

Gear

I chanced upon an article about the new 2007 Indiana Jones game (actual titled undeccided) and- becarefull spoilers- it said it takes you from "San Fransisco's China town to some of the hollyiest ground on earth" any way it was something like that. But what really got me was when it said that it takes place in.... 1939?! Why would they do this. Last Crusade takes place in 1938 and its title say's it all so why are they making a new adventure set only one year later. George Lucas personally had a hand in writing it but if this is all true then it doesn't fit in well with the Indy saga. Im sorry but that really bugs me. It's fine that the new Indy movie takes place in 1950 because thats 12 years after Last Crusade, but why would Lucas screw with the saga's plot like this. :(

Gear

Ya but I mean same thing. why'd they do that. It seem's like they'd know better then to do that. It just doesn't flow. :confused:

Gear

:D I never thought of that. Ya its Indy's last crusade in the trilogy but..... still, to me its a bit sketchy

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Any meta-meaning the title "Last Crusade" has with regards to the trilogy is purely secondary; the primary meaning must be taken to refer to the third film's place as a successor to the Arthurian legends and the historical crusades.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Whoa, Attila the Professor lives.

Yeah the title is Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, not Indiana Jones' Last Crusade.

Gear

But when it first came out it was intended to be his last adventure and then they began to think about the posibility of him going upon another epic hunt

Viper

Well, have you ever heard of the knights of the first crusade, etc. Indy found the Holy Grail, and it was lost, therefore ending the crusades. So, it was the Last Crusade.

That doesn't mean right after that Indy got home and said to himself,
"Well, I've found another important artifact, and I'm becoming pretty much famous. I can now make hundreds of thousands of dollars from all the people who need me to find artifacts, so I'm pretty much in my personal heyday... I guess I'll stop."

That would have been retarded.

Gear

Viper said:
Well, have you ever heard of the knights of the first crusade, etc. Indy found the Holy Grail, and it was lost, therefore ending the crusades. So, it was the Last Crusade.

That doesn't mean right after that Indy got home and said to himself,
"Well, I've found another important artifact, and I'm becoming pretty much famous. I can now make hundreds of thousands of dollars from all the people who need me to find artifacts, so I'm pretty much in my personal heyday... I guess I'll stop."

That would have been retarded.

:D !!! That makes really good sense. I just thought that becuase it was the finall instalment of the Indy series (Back then it was but not now obviusly) that they ment a basturdized version of the word Crusade turning it to mean Adventure, Subbatical, Ect.

00Kevin

Indyfan
The film "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" was actually only the BEGINING of the last crusade (you know the term "begining or the end...or end of the begining"?)

In fact, 'The Last Crusade' that is refered to by the film did not end until 1945 ;)

Gear

Do you mean "Begining of the end"? And second: what do you mean Last Crusade didn't end until 1945?

Finn

Staff member
gear guardian said:
And second: what do you mean Last Crusade didn't end until 1945?
I recommend reading your history books to catch the reference.

Besides, the original question's been covered more than enough already. Last Crusade was never stated to be Indy's final adventure. Period.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
More has happened to Indy off the screen (via games, books, comics, etc) than on the screen.

I'm looking forward to this game...that for sure.

Gear

I dunno... It looks sketchy.... Dude, they didn't even make Indy look like Harrison Ford...

Attila the Professor

Staff member
If something as minor as that is the worst part, then it seems like we're in pretty good shape, although I didn't find that to be a particular issue anyhow in Emperor's Tomb. Also, it seems to me the problem is one of writing than of voice acting; Doug Lee, who did excellent voice work in Fate of Atlantis, sounded terrible when saddled with the dialogue he was given in Infernal Machine.