Broken Sword III: The Way the new Indy game should be made

Tequileros

A week ago I bought Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon. It is the 3rd part in the Broken Sword Trilogy (The Shadow of the Templars; The Smoking Mirror).
I knew the game was a 3D adventure game, but since I actually played both Broken Sword's, I also wanted to try part number three.
The 3D was great. Never did I saw such a beautifull graphical Adventure. Light effects, high detail textures... it was all there. And then I haven't told you about the best locations you ever saw: Prague, Peru, Paris and Egypt (hmmm remembers me about something...).
The controls of the game are simple: It are the same controls as with Monkey Island 4 and Grim Fadango, but then a little bit better. At the right bottom there is a controlmap. It features 4 icons which show you what you can do with a certain item like looking at it or using it. Sometimes you have to jump, climb or shove against a wall. This can be done by pressing the key that resembles the icon that resembles the action. You can't die by falling of a cliff.
However there are some timed sequences were you have to react within a bit more of a second. When you don't react in that second you die, and you can try again just a few seconds before you went too slow. After dieing a few times the difficulty decreases. These timed sequences are fun to play.
Second to that: The story is great, and every Indy fan will love the story. Average game play is 12 hours of amazing fun.

So why should the Indy developpers look at this game? Because it is the next generation of point and click adventures.

I will tell more about the game at a later time, in the meanwhile you can look at these websites:
http://www.fullsword.tk/
http://bsplanet.brokensword3.net/index.php
http://www.adventuregamers.com/display.php?id=307

Post away if you ever played the game, and tell why you would like that the Indy developpers look at this game.

bob

I love the Broken Sword series, Broken Sword I is probably my best loved game of all time.

However i think that despite similarities in theme Broken Sword and Indy are very different subjects/genres, as the character of Indiana Jones is an action character and this really should not be ignored particularly now that unlike the situation around the release of previous Indy adventure titles have the technology to bring the action sequences to life if only a little imagination was used. At the same time there should not be an all action approach coupled with an adventure element, but my point is simply that the demands of an Indy game are different from the Broken Sword series and simply because our best loved titles (from over a decade ago) come from the adventure genre it doesnt mean that the modern Indy game should be an adventure title.

westford

Got a preview of it on a DVD (for PS2) and it does look good! What platform have you got it for Teq?

Tequileros

Well I guess you have the game for both X-box, PS2 and PC. I got it for the PC ofcourse.

Anyways, Bob, you are right that the new indy games contain action moments, but this game also contains action moments. Not with fighting or so, but you do have to run for your life or slash a *spoiler* till death.
But you can also include some fighting a la Fate of Atlantis.

Adventurer

I got hold of the game too, and i have to say that I like it very much. The transition to 3D worked better than I thougt, and the 4-way interface was a very good idea The story is great as usual.

It seems that it could be a little more difficult, but maybe that's just me and everything is allright. One thing not allright was the one type of puzzle with the crates (the 5th time i saw one of those cubic things i thought "noo, please not again"). And someone still has to show me the advantages of a keyboard control over a mouse control...

I just realized something (actually)obvious. I agree that the developers of the next Indy game should take a look if they want to make an Adventure. But if they approach the next game like the two before, that is if they want to make it an action game, Emperor's Tomb with an option to save the game and with better controls would do just fine. The game is good in its own district. But to call it an Action-Adventure is not only misleading, but a misapprehension.

Eric1975

Hey there everyone.

Have to put a thumbs-up for the best game I have ever played. I have beaten the game on the PC and wonder if there is a way to copy the awesome music of this game for strictly personal use as I am an artist myself and absolutely love anything that sounds like John Williams. If anyone knows any secrets or anything else that you can actually do rather then just the regular gameplay, please post something. And if any gentlmen (or women) from that great LucasArts company ever reads this, then please know that the fans would LOVE to have another one based on the Emperor's Tomb, or even the Infernal Machine Engine, I have both of 'em and there is a bit of difference in the graphics, but I thoroughly enjoy playing them both. I've played through them a few times, and I don't think I'll ever post them for sale anywhere, they are just that good! Thanks again Lucasarts for dethroning Lara, she just wasn't up to it anyway. . .

Randy_Flagg

Re: Hey there everyone.

Eric1975 said:
Thanks again Lucasarts for dethroning Lara, she just wasn't up to it anyway. . .

First, I HAVE to get Broken Sword III one day soon. I loved the first two games in that series, and I've been hearing nothing but positive reviews of the third one.

But one question (prepare for rant!)-- Why do so many Indy fans hate Lara so much? I just don't get it.
If you want to hate the Lara movies, fine, be my guest, they weren't particularly good and can't compete with Indy movies. But the games are a whole different story. I was thrilled with the first Tomb Raider game back in 1996 because I AM an Indiana Jones fan, and TR was the first game to really let me have an Indy-like experience on a PC, while at the same time offering a new character with a different personality. No other game at that time provided that same feeling of exploration and adventure which is commonly associated with Indiana Jones. And, since the best LucasArts could do with the Indy franchise back then was "Desktop Adventures," I felt "Tomb Raider" was the better choice.

I'll admit that the last two Lara games were weak. "Chronicles" was fairly lame compared to the excellent "Last Revelation," and AOD got so many negative reviews, I didn't even bother getting it. But I don't understand why Indy fans, of all people, would hate the Tomb Raider series considering the fact that TR embodies many of the same elements that made the Indy movies great (and also considering the fact that "Infernal Machine" was a blatant TR rip-off, and you enjoyed that game.)

nOOb

[/QUOTE]But one question (prepare for rant!)-- Why do so many Indy fans hate Lara so much? I just don't get it.
If you want to hate the Lara movies, fine, be my guest, they weren't particularly good and can't compete with Indy movies. But the games are a whole different story. I was thrilled with the first Tomb Raider game back in 1996 because I AM an Indiana Jones fan, and TR was the first game to really let me have an Indy-like experience on a PC, while at the same time offering a new character with a different personality. No other game at that time provided that same feeling of exploration and adventure which is commonly associated with Indiana Jones. And, since the best LucasArts could do with the Indy franchise back then was "Desktop Adventures," I felt "Tomb Raider" was the better choice.

I'll admit that the last two Lara games were weak. "Chronicles" was fairly lame compared to the excellent "Last Revelation," and AOD got so many negative reviews, I didn't even bother getting it. But I don't understand why Indy fans, of all people, would hate the Tomb Raider series considering the fact that TR embodies many of the same elements that made the Indy movies great (and also considering the fact that "Infernal Machine" was a blatant TR rip-off, and you enjoyed that game.)
[/QUOTE]

probably cause laras lauded as being the ultimate videogame archeologist-adventurer when shes really just a stereotypical gun-toting bad girl who also steals a few artifacts...and tomb raider ripped off indy, not the other way round. so infernal machine isnt really a clone at all, just a little late in coming. and then the really big problem is that laras "more famous", at least in gaming.

im not dissing tomb raider - thats just my theory why indyfans are haters.

i wish she had smaller boobs(just too big - theyre blasphemous), dressed more like indy, and carried a more realistic weapon selection...then the TR games would be more fun. more indy-like.

[Edited by nOOb on 01-11-2004 at 10:21 pm]

Eric1975

Peace gentlemen.

I don't hate the Tomb Raider Series, I'd just like to see the original series of it revised. Kinda like how an artist makes a rough draft at first. Having those games redone in a Platinum collection CD (1,2,3,thelastrevelation,chronicles,) I think would sell quite well. I would it purchase it if I had the money to. I had a best friend from the Pacific Islands that went through thick and thin with me, and when Sony was doing really good with the first Playstation that series of games were absolute favorites. Just imagine it, enhanced graphics and sound kinda like how Emperor's Tomb is done. Ahh, Indy and Lara might be a match made in heaven and hell. Cheers for the New Year everyone. Hope I get a job so I can buy the Indy DVDs. (Anxiously awaiting the entire collection). Awesome educational tool for young-in's.