TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Films
User Name
Password

Old 09-19-2016, 02:45 PM   #1
Z dweller
IndyFan

Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
Hooten and the Lady

The first episode of this adventure series aired on Sky1 last Friday.

Hooten & the Lady is Indiana Jones-Style TV Fun

If, like myself, you are not based in the UK, you can catch it on YouTube (albeit very lo-fi).
In this first outing the two eponymous character find the Lost City of Z, no less, and next week they are off to Rome.

It's not too bad for a low budget modern day pastiche, mostly played for laughs.
Take a healthy dose of Indy, add a generous helping of Romancing the Stone, and garnish with a soupçon of The Persuaders, just for good measure.

Overall just harmless fun, pretty forgettable, but what's a Ravener to do for the next three years?
Z dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:29 AM   #2
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Mod note: Can we drop the "New Teevee Series" portion of the title? It's unnecessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z dweller
The first episode of this adventure series aired on Sky1 last Friday.

I expected it to be a very long time before this thread was bumped again, but the eight-part series* has now been picked up for U.S.-distribution by The CW according to The Hollywood Reporter.

* - A second series has yet to be confirmed or denied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THR
Leona Connell, director of sales at Sky Vision, said: "Here at Sky Vision we're delighted that The CW will be the home of Hooten & the Lady in the U.S., we believe this high-octane adventure drama is a perfect fit for the network. The series was a huge hit with the Sky 1 audience in the U.K., and we hope viewers of The CW will love it just as much."

Full article: CW Takes Sky Adventure Series 'Hooten & the Lady' for U.S..

No idea yet when The CW will air stateside, but I could easily see it being slotted in as a summer series. I could see it doing well too; it fits in with the current tone and direction of the network.

They have a cool credit sequence.

I otherwise have the first couple of episodes on tap, but have only managed to watch the first couple of minutes. No firm thoughts yet, but the show gets oodles of bonus points for actually having the temerity to film on location (unlike a certain other series).

Quote:
...but what's a Ravener to do for the next three years?

Read a book? Travel? Pray to Ganesh that Ford dies? Get spiritually enlightened?

Last edited by Le Saboteur : 02-16-2017 at 02:49 AM.
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:25 PM   #3
Z dweller
IndyFan

Thanks for the update, Le Sab: I'll be sure to watch the rest of the series when CW airs it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Saboteur
Pray to Ganesh that Ford dies?
Uh-oh! Take Cover!
Old 02-17-2017, 11:08 AM   #4
IndyBuff
IndyFan

This looks like a really fun series. Any word yet on a Region 1 set?
IndyBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:25 AM   #5
Major West
IndyFan

There won't be an R1 set until it's aired over there first.

I saw this and quite enjoyed. Nothing new and I prefered the episodes where they were off in some jungle to the ones where they were city bound, and as mentioned they went to all the locations for real to film there, so it's fun to look at.
Major West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:58 AM   #6
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Thanks for the update, Le Sab: I'll be sure to watch the rest of the series when CW airs it.

While I was away The CW went ahead and announced a premiere date for Hooten & The Lady! Deadline is reporting that the eight part series will premiere stateside on Thursday, July 13th at 9pm.

Check local listings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadline
Spanning eight hourlong episodes, Hooten & the Lady follows two globetrotting treasure hunters who set out to recover priceless legendary artifacts. Hooten (Michael Landes) is a smooth-talking yet foolhardy lone wolf, who often finds himself in sticky situations. Lady Alexandra (Ophelia Lovibond) is an aristocrat and British Museum curator who, despite being straight-laced, is eager to follow in the footsteps of history’s great archaeologists and venture to uncharted lands. Meeting in the thick of the Amazon jungle, they form an unlikely partnership as they travel the globe in pursuit of hidden treasures. Natural opposites, they soon find they don’t get on. However, expediency and danger draw them together. It is executive produced by Tony Jordan and Simon Winstone for Red Planet Pictures and Cameron Roach for Sky, with Caroline Levy as series producer.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:53 AM   #7
Olliana
IndyFan

I find it odd that the show still didn't air in the U.S., while in other countries like mine (Germany) it ran some time last year.

I really enjoyed it, the main cast had very good chemistry, Lovibond is a strong female lead, reminded me of Marion at times. Btw, I think the show didn't looke low-budget at all, with all those beautiful, real location shoots.
Olliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 01:22 AM   #8
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olliana
I find it odd that the show still didn't air in the U.S., while in other countries like mine (Germany) it ran some time last year.

Aside from a handful of prestige projects (typically British productions), European teevee shows don't make their way stateside. They don't play for various reasons, and European actors don't crossover. Marion Cotillard might be the biggest crossover star to date.

Hooten and the Lady, obviously has crossover appeal. If it finds an audience here, then it's possible a second series will head into production.

Fingers crossed!

Drop your drawers! Drop your drawers!
'cause that's the way you open doors!
Old 05-05-2017, 12:35 PM   #9
Olliana
IndyFan

Quote:
Aside from a handful of prestige projects (typically British productions), European teevee shows don't make their way stateside. They don't play for various reasons, and European actors don't crossover. Marion Cotillard might be the biggest crossover star to date.

Huh, I wonder what the reasons are. I thought Monthy Python and Doctor Who were pretty popular in the U.S., no?
Quote:

Hooten and the Lady, obviously has crossover appeal. If it finds an audience here, then it's possible a second series will head into production.

Fingers crossed!

I really hope so!
Olliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 05:09 AM   #10
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olliana
Huh, I wonder what the reasons are. I thought Monthy Python and Doctor Who were pretty popular in the U.S., no?

Only because the population of the U.S. is bigger than that of the UK by several orders of magnitude.

The CW wanted to remind you that this hits the airwaves in just a couple of weeks! They've even cut a new teaser trailer to remind you to tune in on 13 July 2017!

Old 06-26-2017, 12:54 PM   #11
IndyBuff
IndyFan

This show looks like a lot of fun. It's one of those rare times when I kind of wish I had cable.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:47 AM   #12
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBuff
This show looks like a lot of fun. It's one of those rare times when I kind of wish I had cable.

The CW is broadcast, not cable.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:38 AM   #13
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Elle est belle, sophistiquée, têtue. Il est beau, casse-cou, bourru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Professor
The CW is broadcast, not cable.

It's worth noting that that The CW does make their shows available to stream on their site. I don't know how soon they become available, but they're otherwise free to watch.

You used to be able to catch them on Hulu the day after, but that deal expired at the end of the last year. The final option is Netflix. They signed a deal late last year that allowed Netflix to air the entire season just eight days after the final episode has debuted.

It also appears just began airing last week in France where the title was massaged (as to now be completely obvious) Hooten & The Lady: Treasure Hunters

Every evening after dark
We goose the statues in the park;
If Sherman's horse can stand it, so can you.
Washington was very firm
And Lincoln didn't even squirm.
Darling, that's why I'm in love with you

Kungaloosh!
Old 07-14-2017, 04:54 AM   #14
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Slackers of the world unite!

Episode 1 is indeed up and available from The CW's site! I'll be checking it out tomorrow evening, but that doesn't mean you can't go ahead already!

Then when you're done check out the trailer for next week's episode: Rome!

Still not convinced? Variety has a pretty positive review!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaToya Ferguson
If “Hooten & the Lady” feels somewhat predictable at times, that’s because it is. That’s not a knock on the series, though, because it knows it. In fact, that’s a major part of its appeal. The British Sky1 original series — now re-airing all eight of its episodes here as part of the The CW’s summer schedule — intentionally draws on that feeling of nostalgia that comes with an “Indiana Jones” flick or even “Romancing The Stone.” From the Amazon to Rome to Egypt to the Himalayas, “Hooten & the Lady’s” first season attempts to tell a rather self-contained action-adventure story in the span of eight separate hours. And it succeeds.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:50 AM   #15
IndyBuff
IndyFan

I'll have to check it out tonight. Thanks for the alert!
Old 07-24-2017, 11:03 PM   #16
JasonMa
IndyFan

Watched the first two episodes tonight. Much like Hooten the show is rough around the edges but I already see improvement from episode 1 to 2. It doesn't to anything surprising but it knows what it is and doesn't try to reach outside that. It looks amazing, no expense spared for the setting. I'm looking forward to episode 3.
JasonMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:36 PM   #17
Z dweller
IndyFan

I have now caught all four episodes aired by the CW so far, and I gotta say this series is seriously fun to watch!

Apart from the occasional bout of silliness (a large crocodile under a temple in Rome, Greek mercenaries looking to restore the country's former glory - hello?) the chemistry between the two main characters works like a charm, and their adventures are getting better and better.

Somewhat inevitably, Indy references are also increasing by the episode.

In Ep.3, which is about a dig in Egypt, lady Alex actually gets to say "They are digging in the wrong place!", while Ep.4 features a booby trapped temple in Bhutan.

Go on, U.S. based Raveners, give it a go!

Mods, can you please disable autoplay for the French video linked by Le Sab? It's seriously annoying!

Last edited by Z dweller : 08-04-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:49 PM   #18
Finn

Quote:
Mods, can you please disable autoplay for the French video linked by Le Sab? It's seriously annoying!
It's 2017. If something on a web site bothers you, you create an AdBlock filter to get rid of it.

(Also, despite it being 2017, we can't lord over the settings of content embedded from other sites.)
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:40 PM   #19
JasonMa
IndyFan

Sadly its one and done for Hooten & the Lady

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/news/a8...second-series/
JasonMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:26 AM   #20
IndyBuff
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMa
Sadly its one and done for Hooten & the Lady

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/news/a8...second-series/

Bummer.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:32 AM   #21
Z dweller
IndyFan

Episode 5 was really disappointing for me.

If the series had been better written, I'd be sad to see it axed afer just one season.
As it is, eight episodes feels about right.

Sadly, the writers seem to have got stuck with underdeveloped characters and derivative, wafer-thin storylines. Any longer and the fun would wear out, along with the wll they/won't they tension between the two main characters.

Still, kudos for shooting on location, and in all fairness the tongue-in-cheek nature of the show was highlighted right from the start.

Here's hoping the last three episodes prove better than the fifth.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:15 PM   #22
Z dweller
IndyFan

Quote:
Here's hoping the last three episodes prove better than the fifth.
Well, episodes 6 and 7 did not disappoint!

Higher stakes, better action pieces, a more convincing baddie, and at long last we get to find out a bit more about Hooten's past.

Ep.7 openly channels TOD and is my favorite so far.

Shame that this uptick came so late in the series.
It probably accounts for the fact that the show was cancelled after only one season.

Looking forward to the finale.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:37 AM   #23
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
It probably accounts for the fact that the show was cancelled after only one season.

There have been several other very recent British productions that have been pre-cancelled; that is to say, they were canned before a single episode aired. Part of me thinks Hooten & The Lady was one of those as well. If Ms. Lovibond is to be believed, the series did good numbers and was well received.

Since they didn't hit Downton Abbey-sized ratings, then that's it. The UK needs more Eastenders and Footballers Wives!

I haven't seen an episode yet unfortunately. I have the tab open on my computer, but I really, really don't like watching teevee on it. It should pop up on Netflix any day now. If not, I'll probably force myself to sit through it on the computer.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:36 PM   #24
Z dweller
IndyFan

Quote:
There have been several other very recent British productions that have been pre-cancelled; that is to say, they were canned before a single episode aired. Part of me thinks Hooten & The Lady was one of those as well.
It should pop up on Netflix any day now.
Well, let's hope that Netflix picks up this U.K. show and makes it better, like they did with Black Mirror.