Stephen King's It

Goonie

Stephen King's "It" is getting the big screen treatment. It is getting adapted into a full-length feature:
Stephen King's "It" rises again as movie (Reuters)

I wonder if they'll bring Tim Curry back to play Pennywise like he did in the 1990 miniseries.

Pennywise.jpg

GoodFella

This 1990 release was terrible. No competent reader of that book could have enjoyed that movie. This movie really needs to be at least 3 hours long; anything less will probably be crap. A great visual director needs to be involved. The one important thing the last movie left out was that the kids weren't scared of a "spider" or a "clown" per se; "It" is so much more than that. I will have to maintain low hopes for this movie until I see it. In my opinion, this is King's hardest novel to adapt to the screen.

deckard24

Even though the 1990 version is kind of cheesey, and it doesn't help that one of the Waltons is in it, Tim Curry's version of Pennywise permanently scarred for me life! I already had a strong suspicion of clowns and really didn't care for them too much, but seeing It changed things drastically!

I don't know how they'll do it, but if they get a really good director and cast, anything is possible. It's true it'll need to be epic though in order to tell the story right. They can't just breeze through it in 2 hours. Not to mention, now that we've had the giant spider battle from Lord of the Rings, it makes me wonder if they'll change that side of the story?

HovitosKing

Eric Solo said:
Tim Curry scares me even without the clown face on. IT was a great book. I hope they do it justice.

Rocky Horror Picture Show marred my impressions of Tim Curry for life.

frank-n-furter-tim-curry-232659_360_480.jpg

agentsands77

GoodFella said:
This movie really needs to be at least 3 hours long; anything less will probably be crap.
Unless they do a non-literal adaptation, which is what I think is called for here. Take some of the core ideas of IT and turn it into its own cinematic entity.

The Man

Pennywise Ain't For The Kiddies...

?The remake will be set in the mid-1980s and in the present almost equally ? mirroring the twenty-odd-year gap King uses in the book ? and with a great deal of care and attention paid to the back stories of all the characters,? says Kajganich. ?I think the real twist here is that my pitch to WB ? which they?ve assured me they?re on board for ? is that this will not be PG-13. This will be R. Which means we can really honor the book and engage with the traumas (both the paranormal ones and those they deal with at home and school) that these character endure.?

?I plan to be very protective of the book,? Kajganich continues. ?The reality, though, is that WB wants to do this as a single film, so I will have to kill a few darlings to make that happen. You have my promise, though, that I will do this with the utmost humility and respect for King?s work. He?s the King, after all, and I intend to continue to pledge to him my allegiance.?

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
It's so huge, after Chapter 2 in 2019, I predict they set prequels in 1934 and 1961.

roundshort

Loved the movie. Almost perfect! I don't really want to see it as I knew the story too well. The reviews lured me in like a fat kid to cake. Loved every second of it. Really nailed the Goonies quality, Pennywise was great with great scares. It had passion and a plucky spirit! 4 for gore!

Pale Horse

Staff member
roundshort said:
Loved the movie. Almost perfect! I don't really want to see it as I knew the story too well. The reviews lured me in like a fat kid to cake. Loved every second of it. Really nailed the Goonies quality, Pennywise was great with great scares. It had passion and a plucky spirit! 4 for gore!

I know nothing of this story (book or film). Is this one movie good enough to bring me to speed? Or do I need to do the trilogy?

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
One trailer can't hurt. Batman vs Pennywise:

Seriously though, prequels where the CCC builds the sewers, then the kids go off the WWII and some don't return, and it starts again with when they have families of their own... King is not above sequels (Doctor Sleep) and crossovers (traveling back in time to Derry in 11/22/63). He could get the ball rolling.

TheFedora

Moedred said:
Seriously though, prequels where the CCC builds the sewers, then the kids go off the WWII and some don't return, and it starts again with when they have families of their own... King is not above sequels (Doctor Sleep) and crossovers (traveling back in time to Derry in 11/22/63). He could get the ball rolling.

My only regret is that the 11/22/63 miniseries on Hulu a few years ago didnt include the Derry stuff but renamed it I think...yeah King does give a LOT of backstory for the novel of all the prior incidents that Pennywise was involved in so there could be a lot of material to go from there.

AttyOzzy

Was Pennywise behind the fence on the grassy knoll?

Looks like we won't know tomorrow as the JFK files (many of them) are not going to be released.

I never finished reading 11/22/63 - but i want to. Hence, I have steered clear of the tv series!

Should I plow through the book or just skip it and watch the tv series? I hate to be lazy, but I did read all of IT long before anyone thought of making it a movie or a tv series - and the giant spider hardly made the journey worth it.

Ty all. Your insight is welcomed!(y)

roundshort

AttyOzzy said:
Looks like we won't know tomorrow as the JFK files (many of them) are not going to be released.

I never finished reading 11/22/63 - but i want to. Hence, I have steered clear of the tv series!

Should I plow through the book or just skip it and watch the tv series? I hate to be lazy, but I did read all of IT long before anyone thought of making it a movie or a tv series - and the giant spider hardly made the journey worth it.

Ty all. Your insight is welcomed!(y)

I would just go see it. The movie was made knowing that most of the people who saw it never read the book. really fun movie to see!