Indiana Jones 4 Analysis

NamedAfterDaDog

Okay, guys. We don't have a whole lot of information on Indy 4, but we're getting close. So here's a thread for some analysis on characters, the persued relic, the setting, the enemy, and other plot stuff based on reports and from the words of Lucas and Spielberg themselves. Right now, since these are the things we have the most info on, let's break down the characters, who's playing them, and their role.

Harrison Ford- 'Nuff said.

Cate Blanchette (sp?)- I could see her being the main love, a sidekick like Marion or Willy, or to a less extent, the seductive spy or turncoat. (Elsa may have had a childhood friend! ;) )

Ray Winstone- I want to think he's the villain, or a powerful henchman, like Dietrich or Vogel or that dude with the glasses in ToD that disappears after getting beaten the crap out of by Indy. I can't see Winstone, a grown man, being a sidekick. The only old sidekicks I'll allow are the women, Sallah or Henry Sr. (Brody kicked the bucket :( )

Shia Labeouf- Well, we can all assume he's gonna be the comic relief sidekick. He'll be a good successor to Shorty, but if he makes any cheesy lines or corny CGI or other stunts, eh...
I... I have to admit. I don't want to see him as Indy's son. Indy just doesn't have a son! It's just....you know, not Indy! Shia, great sidekick, wonderful comic relief... not feelin' the son role, ya know?

Well, as Lucas, Spielberg, the crew or other cast confirm, we'll add more on the characters, setting, villains, relic, blah blah blah, so stay tuned!

Echo22

The announcement of Shia being involved is the third big announcement made by Lucasfilm - second only to the announcement that they're making the movie and then the announcement of the release date. Like it or not, he's a major part of this film. If he's not Indy's son, I'd be surprised. And if Indy truly has a son in this, you can safely bet that it will be the dominant theme of the movie - as the dynamic between Connery and Ford was in Last Crusade. I'm hoping he's not Indy's son - because then the major dynamic would be between Ford and Blanchett.

I'm with you on Winstone. With Shia in the mix, there's not really much room for another "sidekick" - unless Indy is leading some sort of expedition....which I guess, is possible. This could be like the Lost World where he has to take a team with him - some make it out alive, some don't.

Blanchett is the real mystery. I'd be majorly disappointed if she ends up the main villain with Winstone as the muscle. My hope and prediction is that she is probably the romantic lead - probably having a very similar role to Elsa before she turned on him. She'll most likely be the one that first brings the quest to Indy's office. Either that or a competitor that is forced to team up with him early on. I don't necessarily see them getting along off the bat - which would be consistent.

effin

I would say:
winstone-baddie
blanchett-indy girl/possibly mrs. jones
shia-henry jones III

if blanchett is wife and mom of jr. than the film's opening set piece could take place in like 1939 with effects to make ford look younger like in x men 3 (crappy flick!). the set piece could end with blanchett saying she's preggers! cut to 17 years later or something and indy has slowed down the field work until something sets the plot in motion.

other possibility: Marion is mom and indy and marion are not together but indy is a papa. blanchett sets the plot in motion and indy and her have a classic indy girl relationship starting with the hate/attraction thing

I think the film will be a jungle film. secret of the incas type of thing with lost city in south america or africa. definately a riverboat setpiece. in the old monkey king script, indy and co. go full throttle through a waterfall to reveal a secret cave/hideout which story wise fufills the map room scene.

I think a helicopter scene would be cool.

pirahnas would work.
pit of scorpions was in monkey draft plus sharks (?)
I like hila monsters, gross giant lizards eating flesh

other locales- san fran/ london

final thoughts: I saw temple of doom midnight showing when I was 8 and I still love it!!!

I atually think shia is the best actor around for his age, way better than some of the other late teen early 20's pretty boys out there. I understand the reservations, but indy must have a new aspect of character development and with ford being old, its got to be fatherhood.

Dr.Sartorius

Shia Labeouf - either he's Indy's son (Henry Jones III or whatever), the son of someone who's been kidnapped by the badguys and he goes to Indy for help, or he's one of Indy's archeaology students who tags along for the adventure.

Cate Blanchett - She could be Indy's wife or girlfriend/love interest (hope not - Harrison's a little too old for her), or she's a struggling female archeaologist/competitor who joins Indy on the quest for....? Or she's the wife of some guy who's been kidnapped by the bad guys and she goes to Indy for help...she then tags along for the adventure.....

Ray Winstone - He could be some big game hunter type guy who's friends with Indy (like Granger from Indiana Jones and the Dinosaur Eggs novel) who helps Indy while he's on his quest, or he's more of an intellectual type character like Marcus in Raiders who aids Indy but doesn't go on the adventure. Or he's the bad guy......

FordFan

Is it possible that in this film, Blanchett plays his daughter and Shia plays his grandson?? No one has mentioned that possibility. I dunno, I think Shia playing his son is too much like when River Phoenix was cast in LC. Everyone thought he was playing Indy's son but he wasn't. If Shia is playing Indy's son, why don't they just say he is?

Dr.Sartorius

Is it possible that in this film, Blanchett plays his daughter and Shia plays his grandson?? No one has mentioned that possibility.

No offense but that doesn't make any sense. How could Indy have a grandson in the 1950s? That means he would have had a son in the 20s and his kid had then had a son in the 40s. Don't make no sense. Sorry. :hat:

Plus I don't think Indy being a grandfather having an adventure with his grandson would sell very many tickets.....Would they be going on a family trip to Disneyland or something??:cool:

Zorg

NamedAfterDaDog said:
Shia Labeouf- Well, we can all assume he's gonna be the comic relief sidekick. He'll be a good successor to Shorty, but if he makes any cheesy lines or corny CGI or other stunts, eh...
I... I have to admit. I don't want to see him as Indy's son. Indy just doesn't have a son! It's just....you know, not Indy! Shia, great sidekick, wonderful comic relief... not feelin' the son role, ya know?

Interesting thoughts. I'd be almost ready to promise to eat my hat if Shia doesn't play Indy's son in the film. No way of getting round it, folks: he has the looks and he is just the right age. Of course Indy's son would ALSO be the comic relief.

I like the idea of Blanchett's character teaming up with Indy and setting the adventure in motion. Winstone has the classic bad guy -looks all over him. Couldn't cast a more perfect baddie, if you ask me.

So that's two allies for Indy (three, if you count Connery) and one main baddie.

Shia's involvement is great news, because we haven't seen Indy team up with a young man before. Sure, we had Short Round, but Shia can't be compared with him.

I don't think they wanted Shia onboard simply because of the action scenes. They did say that the film has "plenty of action in store for the rogue archaelogist". Probably Shia will get himself in trouble, but then Indy would still be the hero, right? Even more so!

Zorg

NamedAfterDaDog said:

Interesting thoughts. I'd be almost ready to promise to eat my hat if Shia doesn't play Indy's son in the film. No way of getting round it, folks: he has the looks and he is just the right age. Of course Indy's son would ALSO be the comic relief.

I like the idea of Blanchett's character teaming up with Indy and setting the adventure in motion. Winstone has the classic bad guy -looks all over him. Couldn't cast a more perfect baddie, if you ask me.

So that's two allies for Indy (three, if you count Connery) and one main baddie.

Shia's involvement is great news, because we haven't seen Indy team up with a young man before. Sure, we had Short Round, but Shia can't be compared with him.

I don't think they wanted Shia onboard simply because of the action scenes. They did say that the film has "plenty of action in store for the rogue archaelogist". Probably Shia will get himself in trouble, but then Indy would still be the hero, right? Even more so!

IrishLuck1980

I wouldn't be surprised if Shia will be Indy's son. Most likely Cate will be his mother and her and Indy had a fling at some point in time. Perhaps Shia will be a student of history like father. The movie could be about Indy trying to get to know his son or something like that. It could work.

NamedAfterDaDog

Okay, guys. We don't have a whole lot of information on Indy 4, but we're getting close. So here's a thread for some analysis on characters, the persued relic, the setting, the enemy, and other plot stuff based on reports and from the words of Lucas and Spielberg themselves. Right now, since these are the things we have the most info on, let's break down the characters, who's playing them, and their role.

*UPDATE*
Characters-

Harrison Ford- 'Nuff said.

Cate Blanchette (sp?)- I could see her being the main love, a sidekick like Marion or Willy, or to a less extent, the seductive spy or turncoat. (Elsa may have had a childhood friend! )

Ray Winstone- I want to think he's the villain, or a powerful henchman, like Dietrich or Vogel or that dude with the glasses in ToD that disappears after getting beaten the crap out of by Indy. I can't see Winstone, a grown man, being a sidekick. The only old sidekicks I'll allow are the women, Sallah or Henry Sr. (Brody kicked the bucket )

Henry Jones Sr. - While Sean Connery is still in talks with the production team, let's assume he's in it. More on this later- I'm late for school!

*UPDATE*
Locations- Alright, before, Lucas revealed the movie will have something to do with a waterfall.
Now, we've gotten the information that they are in fact filming in New Haven, Connecticut, because it looks and feels like Yale University (or something of the sort) and that it will involve a car chase and Indy riding a bike through Yale's dining hall (or something of the sort.)
Although this last bit is not truly confirmed, let's hope it's true...

Primo

Talented Actors Open Up Interesting Possibilities For Indy 4

I wouldn't call anyone who has aided Indy in his adventures thus far a sidekick (except Short Round. He was just a little boy.) Sallah, Jock, Henry Sr. were more companions than sidekicks. My reasoning is this, all of these men where doin their own thing before Indy showed up. They all have their own path in life. They are aiding Indy because they are his friends, or in Henry's case family. When I think sidekick I think of a lacky. A mindless worker bee subservient to its master. I don't think any of these men qualify.

Having said that, I think Ray Winstone would be a fantastic companion for Indy. He just seems like that dude who haunts that seedy dive bar in the middle of that shady town or village just waiting for an old friend to stand him upright, dust him off and put him back to work bustin heads. He fits that mold. That rugged, flawed, dependable friend who'd die for Indy if need be. It'd also be sweet if that "dependable friend" betrayed Indy and became his enemy...Winstone would be a worthy adversary for Indy. He's got brains and a seriously intimidating physical presence.

Shia Lebouf is a young actor that has slowly earned my respect. I first saw him on Project Greenlight and sparked to his humor and charm. He had to eat crap in the comic sidekick role for a few years. I loathed him in I, Robot which wasn?t entirely his fault; his part was atrociously written. Ditto his part in Constantine.

Thankfully his role came and he proved his ability as an actor in Disturbia. He displayed a naturalism, an ease in front of the camera. He has an easy charm and an everyman sense of humor and comedic timing. He also proved his ability to handle weightier dramatic material. As I watched Disturbia I found myself nodding and thinking, ?This kid works. He?s good. The real deal. I can accept him in Indy?s universe.?

I could easily accept Shia as the progeny of Indy and Marion. He has Marion?s spark, wit and attitude with Indy?s wry sense of humor, adventurous spirit and physicality (Shia?s already gained 20 pounds of muscle for the role. Damn, Junior!). He also has the ability to play the more dramatic scenes involving his ?negligent, selfish? globetrotting father. He fits. I?d believe it

I?d love to see Indy with a son. I want to explore every aspect of Indiana Jones and I think a son would shine a light on so many new and exciting possibilities in Indy?s character. How would he react to the knowledge of a son? Would he regret the choices he?s made as a man? Basically from what we know from previous adventures, Indy hops from locale to locale, adventure to adventure, woman to woman with apparently no after thought. I?d love to see if Indy ever thinks about the past. If he ever thinks about Marion. What would he think of himself for not attending to the boy? He essentially did to his son what his father did to him so many years ago; he abandoned him. Left him to his own devices and made him learn how to be self reliant. These would be interesting conflicts for Indiana Jones the man that would have a huge effect on Indiana Jones the adventurer.

Cate Blanchet is so enormously talented and uniquely beautiful. She has a look and manner of speech that would fit so well into the Indy universe. I would definitely accept her as a love interest for Indy. The age thing with her and Harrison doesn?t faze me at all. Blanchet as an Indy girl would seem to me to be more in tune with an older, wiser, and more colorful fellow such as Indy. It just seems the two would be on the same wavelength romantically. With Blanchet?s intelligence and earnestness as an actress, I think it just feels right.

While Blanchet would make a great leading lady for Indy 4, I?m still pulling for the return of Karen Allen as Marion (big surprise, huh?). I think Marion returning would be great fun and would bring about all kinds of interesting questions and conflicts for Indy?s character. Plus, she?s it. The Indy girl. The one and only woman who was ever Indy?s equal. I don?t want to see Indy live out the rest of his life as the old lone wolf adventurer. I want to see him with somebody who gets him. That?s the way I want to see Indy go out; as a happy, fulfilled and complete man. Still adventurous, still restless in spirit, but with someone to share the journey with. Karen Allen is still beautiful and still gutsy and would do us a huge honor if she did indeed return as Marion.

While I loved the inclusion of Henry Sr. in Crusade, I ultimately feel that his presence in Indy 4 is not absolutely necessary. It?d be great to at least see him again and check on Indy and the Professor?s relationship. But I have a feeling it?s the same as when we saw them last. Still adversarial and yet warm with each other. I believe all that could be mined from their relationship has been mined in the Last Crusade. It?d just be more of the same. Maybe the old man could give Indy some misguided pointers in parenthood.

I?m very excited with how the cast is shaping up. Their talent and versatility opens up a multitude of exciting possibilities. I can?t wait to see what they bring to the Indy universe.

indyt

arkfinder said:
I could have sworn I read that Blanchette was going to be a baddie. Like in Crusade. Maybe I miss read.

It looks like she may be a Russian agent of some sort arkfinder.

effin

the universal studios thread is closed but on tmz.com it states that nation treasure 2 is about to wrap this week, and that set is not even complete.

here's the piece
"Are the folks on the Universal back lot telling the truth to theme park guests?

A few TMZ staffers took a ride yesterday on the Universal Studios Hollywood Tour where they passed an enormous Aztec temple set that tour guides said was being built for the upcoming flick "National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets," but could it really be for the Indiana Jones sequel?

We called Jerry Bruckheimer Films, the production company for "National Treasure," and it turns out the Nic Cage pic is wrapping production next week outside of L.A., so clearly Universal needs to update their tour guides.

Our staffers thought the giant Aztec set could have something to do with the long awaited Indiana Jones sequel, and questioned the tour guides, who had no clue. Later, we contacted Universal Studios Production, which denied any link to Indiana Jones, saying, "We do not reveal the details of our shooting locations." Details about "Indy 4" have been under wraps for a while, but filming reportedly began this week.

As for the folks at Universal" ... "Snakes, why did they have to be snakes?"