Trilogy on Blu-Ray

Stoo

Darth Vile said:
There are valid associations between Star Wars and Indiana Jones. And in this case, the associated trepidation (that some have) that the HD/BR versions may be treated in a similar way to the Star Wars DVD's.
As abrasive as he is, Sharkey is right. Click on the thread about Indy films on Blu-ray and find opinions about the Yoda puppet.:rolleyes:

To reiterate, I think Frank Marshall's quotes refer to the 30 seconds of the Hovitos jungle chase (rather than the Indy emerging from the shadows).

Sharkey

Darth Vile said:
therefore I think a modicum of associated deviation, within thread
Save the waste of space and moderate yourself. Blah, blah, blah.

The Indy blurays wont live up and are gonna let people down. No matter what you'll find some way to nitpick. Keep babbling on about Star Warts if it floats your boat and makes you happy.
Darth Vile said:
Lapti Nek was god awful.
Kinda like your posts. Whoop dee doo.

Darth Vile

Sharkey said:
Save the waste of space and moderate yourself. Blah, blah, blah.

The Indy blurays wont live up and are gonna let people down. No matter what you'll find some way to nitpick. Keep babbling on about Star Warts if it floats your boat and makes you happy.
Kinda like your posts. Whoop dee doo.

You tryin' to get the prize for the biggest tard on the boards you f***ing irksome twat???

Stoo said:
To reiterate, I think Frank Marshall's quotes refer to the 30 seconds of the Hovitos jungle chase (rather than the Indy emerging from the shadows).

Listened to what part of the interview was on the Indy Cast and I ave my fingers crossed that matte lines from the other films have been repaired.

I really liked Siskel and Ebert, but I never understood how Ebert was so taken by the Zeppelin scene, (especially with vogel superimposed over it shaking his fist). He referenced it as an example of beauty!

Maybe Frank Marshall was right, maybe it looked different on the big screen, but I doubt it.

Darth Vile

Rocket Surgeon said:
I really liked Siskel and Ebert, but I never understood how Ebert was so taken by the Zeppelin scene, (especially with vogel superimposed over it shaking his fist). He referenced it as an example of beauty!

Maybe Frank Marshall was right, maybe it looked different on the big screen, but I doubt it.

I always thought that shot was fine in the cinema... an obvious special effect perhaps, but it worked within context (a bit like the bi-plan cockpit sequence). Although it wouldn't be on my wish list, if they could give that zeppelin shot a quick lick of paint, I'd be cool with that.

Rocket Surgeon said:
I really liked Siskel and Ebert, but I never understood how Ebert was so taken by the Zeppelin scene, (especially with vogel superimposed over it shaking his fist).
The frustrated Standartenführer shaking his gloved fist and screaming in rage was a beautiful scene.

Don't know where they heard it, but here it is...

Plaza Classic Film Festival: Restored 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' shows twice tonight at the Plaza

by Doug Pullen \ El Paso Times
Posted: 08/11/2011 12:00:00 AM MDT

That's all, folks: Popular fest wraps up as 1,500 enjoy 'Dumbo'; watch videoPlaza Classic Film Festival schedule'Border Lords II' screening canceled due to museum water outagePullen My Blog: Rebels, gangsters, weather and emergency surgery at Plaza Classic Days 9-10 Plaza Classic Film Festival: 'The Guns of Navarone' marks end of 4th annual festLeonard Maltin unable to attend Plaza Film Festival due to eye surgeryPlaza Classic Film Festival: Silent gem, Alloy Orchestra bring unexpected dramaExperts' insights add to Plaza Classic Film Festival experiencePlaza Classic Film Festival turns focus to Wild WestVideo: "Fantasia" at the Plaza Classic Film FestivalIn "Raiders of the Lost Ark," tavern owner Marion Ravenwood looks at her old flame, Indiana Jones, and admonishes him for not being the man he was 10 years earlier.

"It's not the years, honey," he cracks, "it's the mileage."

But the 1981 movie that introduced actor Harrison Ford's charismatic archaeologist adventurer seems to have worn the years pretty well.

It should continue to do so with a new Blu-Ray box set of "Raiders" and its first two sequels expected to be released in November.

Local audiences will be among the first in the world to see how the fedora-wearing, bullwhip-cracking adventurer and his pursuit of the Ark of the Cove nant hold up when a digitally restored version of "Raiders of the Lost Ark" shows at 6:30 and 9:15 p.m. today at the Plaza Classic Film Festival.

El Paso will be the second city to show the freshly minted restoration of the 1981 thrill ride from creators George Lucas and Steven Spielberg and starring Ford in the iconic role. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences was the first to show it June 17 in Beverly Hills, Calif.

"It's a big one," said Charles Horak, the festival's artistic director.

So big that festival organizers booked two showings of it tonight in anticipation of large crowds at the Plaza Theatre, which can hold up to 2,000 people per show, he said. Tickets are $10 for this film.

Some may wonder if a 30-year-old movie is a little too new for a classic film festival. Horak begs to differ.

It would be nice to release the trilogy on their own, but what are the odds? Especially after the soundtrack releases.

Von Stalhein said:
The frustrated Standartenführer shaking his gloved fist and screaming in rage was a beautiful scene.
I thought it looked like crap.

emtiem

Rocket Surgeon said:
It would be nice to release the trilogy on their own, but what are the odds? Especially after the soundtrack releases.

I've already got the Skull Blu Ray so I'd prefer if it were just the trilogy of course, but I wouldn't be annoyed if they did release all four in the set- I can see why they'd do it; there are four Indiana Jones movies.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
From the Spielberg/Ford Q&A:

EricIgn said:
Decision still being made on whether Raiders is going to come out solo on blu-ray or Indy trilogy all at once says Spielberg

Spielberg hopes Raiders Blu-ray will be soon - waiting on George, who will probably focus on it more now that Star Wars Blu is done

Also relevant is that Spielberg says he and Lucas differ on re-editing films after the fact, and admitted to regretting the work he did retouching ET.

Montana Smith

Spielberg's Q&A after Hero Complex Raiders screening

"that's a little bit of a hot topic, isn't it?" - Spielberg asked about changing his movies

"I tried it once and I learned to regret it" - Spielberg on changing ET

Spielberg said he felt like he robbed people's memories of the ET with his special edition.

Spielberg also said George Lucas is a great person, who gave us Star Wars and Indiana Jones and Star Wars is his to change if he wants

At least that shows a divergence of opinion between the two, and one that will save the Indy movies from the inappropriate touch of George.

Darth Vile

Attila the Professor said:
From the Spielberg/Ford Q&A:

Also relevant is that Spielberg says he and Lucas differ on re-editing films after the fact, and admitted to regretting the work he did retouching ET.

Anybody who has written a book, made a movie or recorded an album will understand that something that can be seen as trivial to the outside world can, to the artist, keep you up at nights over analysing. I think every artist thinks about such things, but it plagues some more than others. The irony is that Lucas' search for perfection, it can be argued, ultimately results in more imperfection. However, I completely respect his artistic choice to revisit and change (even if I don't like some of the revisions). Spielberg seems less bothered about finding perfection; and probably sleeps better as a result.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Darth Vile said:
Anybody who has written a book, made a movie or recorded an album will understand that something that can be seen as trivial to the outside world can, to the artist, keep you up at nights over analysing. I think every artist thinks about such things, but it plagues some more than others. The irony is that Lucas' search for perfection, it can be argued, ultimately results in more imperfection. However, I completely respect his artistic choice to revisit and change (even if I don't like some of the revisions). Spielberg seems less bothered about finding perfection; and probably sleeps better as a result.

Yeah, you're not wrong on any of that. Of course, Spielberg also said that Raiders is the only one of his movies that he can just watch as an audience member, so maybe their tendencies towards what they see as the flaws in their work manifest in different ways.

Montana Smith said:
At least that shows a divergence of opinion between the two, and one that will save the Indy movies from the inappropriate touch of George.
Funny thing, there's a Speilberg quote saying there will be no CGI in the BluRay but I already have a CGI copy of Gobler's cliff dive...

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Funny thing, there's a Speilberg quote saying there will be no CGI in the BluRay but I already have a CGI copy of Gobler's cliff dive...

He's not infallible, but at least he limits himself to what may be considered aesthetic tweaking. From his words he won't be changing character motivations and actions through CGI any more. And even then his transgressions were tiny compared to George's.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Rocket Surgeon said:

I'd love to hear whether the one they just screened had the new cliff or not.

Montana Smith said:
He's not infallible, but at least he limits himself to what may be considered aesthetic tweaking. From his words he won't be changing character motivations and actions through CGI any more. And even then his transgressions were tiny compared to George's.

I hear ya. Though no is no, and I hate to have to come to the realization that "hoping for another Indy" means no too.

I'm a betting man and I say yea. I also have good money that the good "Dr." can't help us with that one.

I'm fine with the scrub done on the cliff dive, and wouldn't mind if Belloq's "scanner" moment was improved as well.

Montana Smith

Picking up from the Q&A thread:

Dr.Sartorius said:
The print was incredibly pristine. I almost thought it was a blu-ray projection. This print was probably the best presentation of Raiders we'll ever see. Also, I was glad to see the cliff during the desert chase was not CGI.

Rocket Surgeon said:
I hear ya. Though no is no, and I hate to have to come to the realization that "hoping for another Indy" means no too.

No means no. But you could be confusing date rape with...

replican't said:
one geriatric, confusing self-parody of a memory rape.

However, back in the world of the reasoned, rational response, it would be easier to give up hope on the "to be, or not to be" question. If it is "to be", then I can't forsee much beyond the "outrageous fortune" of being gifted "a sea of troubles", "heart-ache" and a "thousand natural shocks".

Just be thankful that KOTCS wasn't any worse, and look forward to Raiders on blu-ray!

:hat: