Ep. 15: Northern Italy, June 1918

Matinee Idyll

Gaw - haven't seen this one in a long, long time. I remember it being quite lighthearted and funny... Hemmingway/Indy dynamic was great... were there some sheep that interrupted a romantic session??

Ernie gets shot at the end and Indy saves him, if I'm correct? And the girl ends up marrying with another guy entirely...

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I love this episode! It's so funny and corny and far from plausible! A Darabont script, I recall. I like it when Indy and Hemingway are really wasted, and they're like "Indy, you are so gonna kick that guy's ass for trying to steal your girl" and it's so easy to tell straight away that Hemingway is the other guy! :p

hes not shot, hes blown up by a plane, well, shrapnel hits his leg, then Indy is blown up, hes on top of the explosion actually, and Ernie rescues indy. Great episode though, very entertaining, the gift esculation, and then the cello versus soprano sax showdown

Flannery10

Yeah, it's too bad I've never seen the original, but the filmversion really isn't that bad. It's still quiet hilarious and it's so funny how Indy and Hemingway fight for the girl. I remember that they met each other again, was that Mystery of the Blues?

By the way, does anyone have the bookends for that episode? (still waitin for the scandal of the 1920 one ;) )

Stoo

Yes, I have those and will try to get *ALL* of them on?line over the
Christmas holidays.:)

One of the funniest scenes in this episode is the ?meltdown? in the kitchen
when the family finds out that both Indy AND Hem have been invited for
dinner by accident. Hysterical! Some nice shots at the beginning were cut
for the movie version.

Flannery10

Stoo said:
Yes, I have those and will try to get *ALL* of them on?line over the
Christmas holidays.:)

Well ,that's some good news there, perfect christmas gift for me :)
it's too bad that the new DVD box doesn't have the originals, but since I really want to see all of the Young Indy adventures, I'll probably put it on my list for santa (y)

Alexandria

This was the first full episode I'd ever seen on Young Indy, and it was interesting watching it with my conservitive cousins, and aunt and uncle. Espeically with talk about making the girl "putty in your hands", and the little affair with his "nurse" in Venice.
I was kind of dissapointed that they made the girls sound like they would be "easy" if Indy said the right thing. I mean, things were different then, and people didn't do that as often as we think. They didn't give it up to the first cute nice guy. Sorry if the language I'm using is a bit rough. Well, it is to me anyway.

The_Minority

Actually it's really neat! When Hemingway is hurt and he carries indy out of the battlefield, that is based on a real event that happened to Hemingway! Shrapnel had hurt his leg and he carried another unnamed soldier out of the way, he won a medal for it if I remember correctly! Love when stuff like that happened on that show!

Junior Jones

One of my favorite parts of the series is in this episode. Indy hitches a ride in Ernie's ambulance and the hayseed riding with them assumes Indy's a "frog" that doesn't speak English. While he makes ignorant comments in English, Indy insults him in very polite sounding French. Hilarious.

Alexandria

The_Minority said:
Actually it's really neat! When Hemingway is hurt and he carries indy out of the battlefield, that is based on a real event that happened to Hemingway! Shrapnel had hurt his leg and he carried another unnamed soldier out of the way, he won a medal for it if I remember correctly! Love when stuff like that happened on that show!
I think they won the purple heart. :)

phantom train

:D

This was an amusing episode, and one I'm looking forward to seeing on Volume 3 of the DVD set.

One of my favorite scenes was when Indy and Hemingway were trying to out-eat each other at the girl's family's house - hilarious.

One of the many reasons the YIJC was/is so good is that it balances very dramatic episodes (like the ones edited into the "Trenches of Hell" or "Demons of Deception" tele-films) with light-hearted, amusing episodes like this one (of course, the ending of this episode wasn't funny, but most of the rest of it was).

The only complaint that I might have with this show (and with "Mystery of the Blues") is that it depicts Hemingway as almost a happy, light-hearted person; I've read all of his novels, and he seems the opposite of this - I got the impression he was very morose/depressed through much of his life.