Underrated Films

Indy's brother

TheMutt92 said:
Yeah, its underrated. I have yet to see it and am always asking around, but no one else seems to know about.

Seriously, check it out. If you love film, noir, craftsmanship, or a movie that is a "thinker", just buy it. I became seriously obsessed with it for a while. I used to rewatch it just to read more into the performances, which made me understand the film better, which made me pay more attention to the actors performances, etc.,etc.,.

michael

MPW-37134

fixer79

The first one to pop into my mind is Wild Wild West...

wild_wild_west_ver1.jpg

I don't know why that film deserved it, but it got bashed at the time of its release. Everyone said it was bad...

I've never been a big Will Smith fan so after all that bashing I never cared to see it. Until recently that is.

I decided to check it out after all a few weeks ago (mainly as steampunk research) and I was quite amazed by it...
It isn't bad at all. The special effects by ILM are spectacular, the material is original (I know it's based on the old TV show, but how many steampunk westerns are there made) and I was happy to see that Will Smith doesn't try to be as hip is in his other movies...
Beside that, I was happy to see that Silence of the Lambs villain Ted Levine is an digustingly excellent General 'Bloodbath' McGrath. :)

Anyway, I really enjoyed this movie. It was much better than Men in Black (also by director Barry Sonnenfeld and starring Will Smith) in my opinion. Really don't know why it got dragged through the mud like that. If anyone knows please tell me :)

The Man

Gremlins 2. A superhoot...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OpckODBA6no&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OpckODBA6no&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>(y)

Forbidden Eye

The Man said:
Gremlins 2. A superhoot...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OpckODBA6no&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OpckODBA6no&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>(y)

LOL!

Is that the legendary Christopher Lee I see? (y)

TheMutt92

Quantum of Solace. I mean, w/ all the hate its been getting, it'll probably be on the bottom of the Bond list for awhile. But still a great flick.

Finn

Staff member
A clarification... was the title of this thread underrated films or guilty pleasures?

There is a difference.

Goonie

One of the funniest movies I have ever seen:

51TJVHXCPGL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

It's got Ryan Reynolds, Justin Long, Anna Faris, Dane Cook, and David Koechner.

Rotten tomatoes is crap. It's got a 4.1/10 on there. Time to show them "The Goat";)

Indy's brother

"yeah, I liked Waiting, too, but I was hoping for a stronger performance from Ryan Reynolds. But hey, Anna Faris is in it, and she is always great! Speaking of Anna Faris, here's one for the list:

B00009MEC4.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

caats

kiss kiss bang bang is great.

kiss_kiss_bang_bang.jpg

i love superman returns. cept most of the luthor parts. enough with friggin lex luthor. and this poster is awesome(which is why it's up in my room)
B00005JOQS.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_V51984637_.jpg

The Magic Rat

caats said:
kiss kiss bang bang is great.

I agree wholeheartedly. Everyone I've recommended this to absolutely loved it.

caats said:
i love superman returns. cept most of the luthor parts. enough with friggin lex luthor. and this poster is awesome(which is why it's up in my room)
Gotta disagree with you there. I really did not care for Superman Returns in the least.

sandiegojones

Finn said:
A clarification... was the title of this thread underrated films or guilty pleasures?

There is a difference.
I agree with that statement.

I would have to say Moulin Rouge and Gangs of New York are way underrated. Also, Road to Perdition is a film I really love.

To me these films are art as the story, cinematography and production design transport you into each film.

Stoo

Forbidden Eye said:
I'm in this film class(sort of) where the teacher has introduced me to these two underrated gems:

TWOSAT.jpg
WOAH! Stop the presses! You mean this has been legitimately released?!?! I saw this ONCE on "The Wonderful World Of Disney" back in '82 and it was amazing.
I still remember the song, too. "I'm the Wizard of Speed and Time". You lucky, lucky son-of-a-gun.:gun:

Forbidden Eye said:
Eddie Van Halen did some music for this film. Worth watching for that fact alone.

sandiegojones

The Man said:
Could Coppola's Dracula be deemed underrated..?
I would say yes and no. It's a great artistic film and love how they used very old techniques to produce the effects, but Keanu was not a good casting choice (even though I generally like him).

I think Branagh's Frankenstein (which Coppola produced) is underrated!

Paden

sandiegojones said:
Also, Road to Perdition is a film I really love.
Road to Perdition is an incredible movie, criminally overlooked in some quarters. An outstanding set of performances across the board. Hall's cinematography was certainly worthy of the Oscar it received, but in my mind, the movie should have received more recognition from the Academy. I truthfully consider it one of the best gangster films ever made.

I've long wondered if the movie's lack of honors stemmed in part from its comic book origins. Hollywood has demonstrated repeated unwillingness to extend recognition to films based on comics.