Last Crusade: Coronado resemblance

ExpeditionJones

I was just watching "Last Crusade" when I noticed how much the guy who took the Cross from Indy looks like Steven Spielberg. But there is no mention of it in any behind the scenes stuff, so is it just a coincedent or is it a relative?
???

:gun:

BadDates

I remember my surge of disappointment, sitting in the cinema as a youngster, when the face of the fedora guy (is he ever named anywhere? in the novelisation?) is first seen onscreen...I thought that Harrison had been replaced! Then the feeling of relief when we cut to 1938...phew! :)

(Clearly I didn't look at movie posters etc. in those days!)

Professor Jones

ExpeditionJones said:
I was just watching "Last Crusade" when I noticed how much the guy who took the Cross from Indy looks like Steven Spielberg. But there is no mention of it in any behind the scenes stuff, so is it just a coincedent or is it a relative?
I think ExpeditionJones is referring to Panama Hat, yet I must say that he does not reminds me about Steven Spielberg at all... nor I could think he's a relative of Steven...

Finn

Staff member
BadDates said:
the fedora guy (is he ever named anywhere? in the novelisation?)
Nope, he's simply called Fedora.

There is a very strong buzz on the backstage however that he is, in fact, Abner Ravenwood.

Finn said:

There is a very strong buzz on the backstage however that he is, in fact, Abner Ravenwood.

ijetart1.png

And then there's that... from Emperor's Tomb. Abner sure does dress a lot like Indy...

... :( I mean, I'm a known detractor of LC, but let them not ruin another part of that film by having Fedora be Abner. I've always liked the enigmatic nature of Fedora--I thought it was interesting how that brief encounter entirely shaped Indy's life. He needn't be Abner. Besides, Abner was the leading most expert in the Ark. What would be be doing looting caves in the American South West? Wouldn't he be... you know... out hunting for the ark at that point in his life?

Last edited:

BadDates

Part of me thinks that it would be cool for Fedora to be Abner (in a kind-of neat, tying-things-together way...) but what ResidentAlien says about hunting for the Ark makes a lot of sense.

Re being a Crusade detractor, I'd be interested to know why.

For my own part, I fall into what I guess must be the mundane, boring, majority category of 1=RotLA,2=LC,3=TD)...by coinicidence, my S.O. shocked me today by revealing a preference of 1=TD,2=RotLA,3=LC...clearly we have relationship issues! :)

BadDates said:
Part of me thinks that it would be cool for Fedora to be Abner (in a kind-of neat, tying-things-together way...) but what ResidentAlien says about hunting for the Ark makes a lot of sense.

Re being a Crusade detractor, I'd be interested to know why.

For my own part, I fall into what I guess must be the mundane, boring, majority category of 1=RotLA,2=LC,3=TD)...by coinicidence, my S.O. shocked me today by revealing a preference of 1=TD,2=RotLA,3=LC...clearly we have relationship issues! :)

Search through my other posts. I know I've discussed in depth my dislike toward it.

Thought I would be interested in knowing what SO stands for...

BadDates

ResidentAlien said:
Search through my other posts. I know I've discussed in depth my dislike toward it.

Ah yes, the search posts facility :eek:

ResidentAlien said:
Thought I would be interested in knowing what SO stands for...

SO = Significant Other

Kingsley

Let Fedora be Fedora!
A "one time encounter" that caused such an impression in indy that determined his entire life.

By the way... 1=LC,2=RotLA,3=TD

BadDates

Kingsley said:
Let Fedora be Fedora!
A "one time encounter" that caused such an impression in indy that determined his entire life.

Yeah, on reflection I agree. Though I guess that all of the experiences of Young Indy feed into it too! After all, he already knew that "It belongs in a museum!" :)

Kingsley said:
By the way... 1=LC,2=RotLA,3=TD

Cool, that's 50% of the possible preference orders in one day! I'd be interested to see a bar chart of fan preference vs the 3! permutations...or maybe that would be too geeky even for me :)

No Ticket

Finn said:

Haha.. I don't know why, but I always assumed his name was "Finn" because it's your avatar.

But you know, I never saw that page in the Emperor's Tomb manual. I never realized they had a pic of Abner dressing just like Indy. I can see how it would kind of be cool to tie that together in this one... but I too always kind of thought it was funny how this one "bad guy" had such an impact on Indy that he actually emulated his appearance entirely.

Niteshade007

Yeah, that part never really made sense to me. Indy clearly has a strong dislike for the man's actions, yet he bases his wardrobe on the guy. He dislikes the guy so much, years after the cross is stolen, he feels the need to put that thing in a museum. I mean, YEARS later, it still consumes it. On some level, it makes sense, dislike has turned into obsession, but still, to model your "look" after a guy you dislike (one who tried to kill you), is a bit odd. I hope I'm making sense, it's late and I'm kind of tired.

Kingsley

But Fedora probably woke his "treasure hunter" side up.
That's part of who Indiana Jones is too. A figure so opposite to what his father was in those years (sitting in front of his desk for hours). Its the man of action that Indiana emulates when he isn't at school as a professor (emulating his father)...

Yes, he probably disliked Fedora, but he was also attracted... he kept the fedora and made it his own.

:hat:

Finn

Staff member
No Ticket said:
Haha.. I don't know why, but I always assumed his name was "Finn" because it's your avatar.
You know, I actually feel honored.

oki9Sedo

I'm actually the same. I think of Finn when I see him.

PS. Finn, you've one more post to reach the big 6,000!

Sincerely I don't think Indy dislikes Fedora at all. I think after their "adventure" they both gained each other's respect. And I don't even think Fedora is a bad guy. Among the four mercenaries, he seems to be the most righteous, the only one who has a sense of justice.
Fedora is the one who helps Indy when he is trapped with the lion... Fedora is the one who smiles when Indy rushes away from the train with the Cross in his hands... Fedora is the one who say "You lost today kid, but that doesn't mean you have to like it" while he gives Indy his trademark hat.
I think Indy has learnt very much from that guy. He has learnt one of the most important things: that's impossible to win every time, but also that you must never, never surrender. And that was probably the lesson which made Indy as tough as we all know.