• Henry Jones III

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Henry 'Mutt' Jones III

Votes: 15 53.6%

• Total voters

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
He answers to Henry in the Spring 1958 wedding. In 1957, Marion calls him Sweetheart, Mutt and Henry. Indy calls him kid, son, and junior. 'Mutt Williams' was used in the credits and on merchandise. The trademark 'Mutt' was registered January 16, 'Mutt Williams' registered July 2. What name do you want to see on post-KotCS merchandise, in fiction, and possibly Indy 5?

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Not according to Marion. He was lied to. I guess he was born before she was engaged or married.

I considered adding Henry 'Mutt' Williams, Henry Williams, and Mutt Jones as options, but then there'd have to be a runoff. He allows Oxley to call him Henry in 1958, but probably did before. Possibly different people will call him different names, as with Indy. I'm hoping, depending on his character's development, 'Mutt' will never be heard or seen again.

Johnny Jones

I get kinda tired of the "Henry" thing... I liked it better when they just used it for that climactic joke at the end of Crusade. To me, Henry Jones Jr. will always be Indiana, and while Mutt isn't the greatest nickname in the world for his son, it follows the individualism pattern.

sandiegojones

I would guess Mutt's birth cert says Henry Jones III, but as he grew up he believed he was Williams. I would suppose he'd keep Williams as his last name out of respect for the guy who raised him (unless Colin Williams died when he was very young), but would start to go by Henry more often, like we saw of Indy in KOTCS.

Forbidden Eye

sandiegojones said:
I would suppose he'd keep Williams as his last name out of respect for the guy who raised him (unless Colin Williams died when he was very young), but would start to go by Henry more often, like we saw of Indy in KOTCS.

In the movie, Mutt says something like "After my father died, the Ox practically raised me", he also said after having his real father revealed to him, "No, my father was a WWII hero..." so he could've died as early as 1939.

Deckard

the convo in the drysand pit :

"He's your son."

"My son?!"

"Henry Jones the 3rd."

"Why the hell didn't you make him finish school?!"

So his legal registered name he used his whole life would remain Henry Williams. However he could legaly change it to Henry Jones III now that he knows he actuallywas born of Indiana Jones but raised by Collin and Ox.

It doesnt matter if he was lied to, the name registered with the U.S. government he would have to go by is Henry Williams as we left him. It would be entirely upto him if he became a Jones. Now that Marion is married to Indy, that makes her Marion Ravenwood Williams Jones.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Deckard said:
the name registered with the U.S. government he would have to go by is Henry Williams
That name is certainly on his driver's license, though they weren't too particluar about seeing proof back then. I doubt he had to dig up his birth certificate to register for the draft. And I'm not sure how stringent Mayor Daley's Chicago was with voter registration before 1960...

However, I think he would still be allowed to make changes in every case.

Deckard

Ya like I said, he can change it legally if he wants, but as it stands right now he according to law is:

Henry "Mutt" Williams.

Mutt of course being the equivilent to Indiana, my guess is this name, "Mutt", was a nickname given to him most likely by Marion.

A Mutt is by definition "A mongrel dog."

I would assume it's her way of assosiating Mutt with Indy while at the same time not having to tell him directly who his real father is.

So can he change his name to Henry "Mutt" Jones, sure, again, if HE wants to.

Either way, He would probably just continue going by Mutt. And Indy would continue to call him w/e he wanted, Junior, tiger, slick, kid, kiddo, etc.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Deckard said:
my guess is this name, "Mutt", was a nickname given to him most likely by Marion.
He chose the nickname for himself, and asked who had a problem with it (I do).

If he and Marion left Illinois for Connecticut, he could easily start using the name on his birth certificate, Henry Jones III. (Hmm, good fanfic idea: some Chicago criminal takes over his Henry Williams identity, and the record follows him to Marshall College!)

IndyJr.

I'd like him to be called Mutt just like Indiana is called Indy. His name, by the point of Indy 5 should be changed to "Henry Jones III" instead of "Henry Williams". He should only be called "Henry" by his mother and the government. :p

He should be called Mutt by everyone who knows him REALLY well. And be called "son" and "Junior" by Indy.