Red Letter Media on KotCS

Re:Art, Criticism, Creation

An argument that still resonates with me...

Originally posted by Flash of Genius

You have a Ph.D in electronic engineering, is that correct?

Uh, that's correct. I've taught for the past several years...

No, that's fine, sir. Your credentials are already part of the record.

Now, when you said earlier that Mr. Kearns didn't create anything new, could you explain what you meant by that?

Yes. As you can see, Dr. Kearns's basic unit consists of a capacitor a variable resistor and a transistor. Now, these are basic building blocks in electronics. You can find them in any catalog. All Mr. Kearns did was to arrange them in a new pattern, you might say. And that, that's not the same thing as inventing something new, however.

Did Mr. Kearns invent the transistor?

No, sir, he did not.

Did Mr. Kearns invent the capacitor?

Again, no, he did not.

Did Mr. Kearns invent the variable resistor?

No, he did not.

Thank you, Professor.

You may step down, Professor Chapman. We will resume testimony after lunch.

Dr. Kearns, your cross-examination, please.

I have here a book. It's by Charles Dickens. It's called A Tale of Two Cities. Have you, have you ever read this book?

Yes. Read it in high school. Very good book.

Yes, it is. I'd like to read you the first, few words, if I may.

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness."

Let's start with the first word, "It."

Did Charles Dickens create that word?

No.

No. What about "was"?

No.

"The"?

No.

"Best"?

No.

"Times"?

Look. I got a dictionary here. I haven't checked, but I would guess that every word that's in this book can be found in this dictionary.

Well, I suspect that's probably true.

Okay, so then you agree that there's not, probably a single new word in this book.

Well, I don't know, but that's probably true.

All Charles Dickens did was arrange them into a new pattern, isn't that right?

Well, I admit I haven't, thought about it in that way.

But Dickens did create something new, didn't he? By using words. The only tools that were available to him. Just as almost all inventors in history have had to use the tools that were available to them. Telephones, space satellites
all of these were made from parts that already existed, correct, Professor?Parts that you might buy out of a catalog.

Technically that's true, yes...

That he's creatively expressing his imagination my not be to our liking or style but it's not simple criticism nor without value or aristic merit.

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
An argument that still resonates with me...

That he's creatively expressing his imagination my not be to our liking or style but it's not simple criticism nor without value or aristic merit.

Dr. Frankenstein, you do know that you've opened a can of rabid worms? :eek:

?Immature poets imitate; mature poets steal; bad poets deface what they take, and good poets make it into something better, or at least something different. The good poet welds his theft into a whole of feeling which is unique, utterly different than that from which it is torn; the bad poet throws it into something which has no cohesion.?

Montana Smith said:
Dr. Frankenstein, you do know that you've opened a can of rabid worms? :eek:
I certainly hope so.:)

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Those are some Dune sized worms!

Sonic vibrations bring them to the surface. Only when they pop their head above the surface they often can't remember what it was they heard or why they're here.

JP Jones

kongisking said:
I dreaded this day. I have also seen Plinkett's prequel reviews, and though he has good points about many of their flaws, I've rewatched the entire saga myself, and found the prequels to be much more coherent and thought-provoking than ever (it sure helps that me and AOTC Anakin both suffer from heart-aching crushes on women hopelessly out of their league...so I can sympathize much more now. Difference is, Anakin DOES get the girl, which is totally impossible in my case).

Anyways, sorry for the off-topic self-projection tangent there.

So, I definitely respect the guy, and his reviews are admittedly quite hilarious. But I knew, deep in my heart, that someday he would turn his sword toward KOTCS, and drive the blade deep through its heart. So, I shall watch the review, and see just how fatal the wound is. But I'm not looking forward to it. It's kinda like anticipating the vicious castration of a close friend that other people tend to deeply dislike, but you find to be a swell guy.

And speaking of swell guys, give The Man a break. His points are valid. I may not agree with the overall assessment, but at least he's an articulate, well-read hater. They DO exist, y'know...
Agreed! It seems that it was inevitable. You might watch the review, but I'm personally fed up with mr. Plinkett. It's not funny any more if it even was before. I've tended to stay away from this thread, but you just preached to the choir on the situation, so I have to say... agreed! I've dreaded this review.:(

kongisking

JP Jones said:
Agreed! It seems that it was inevitable. You might watch the review, but I'm personally fed up with mr. Plinkett. It's not funny any more if it even was before. I've tended to stay away from this thread, but you just preached to the choir on the situation, so I have to say... agreed! I've dreaded this review.:(

United by dread...how interesting...:D

digitalfreaknyc

Loved the review, as I did the prequels. I can't even watch those movies any more and this brought up some very interesting points. Once again, I found myself laughing, almost to tears.
Bravo.

JP Jones

digitalfreaknyc said:
Loved the review, as I did the prequels. I can't even watch those movies any more and this brought up some very interesting points. Once again, I found myself laughing, almost to tears.
Bravo.
Ha, good one! I'm writing that down!(y)

darthsidious42

Man, Plinketts reviews are just way way too long. I don't find him very funny anyway but the damn review is as long as the movie and it's just tedious to try and watch. His voice really grates on my nerves too.

digitalfreaknyc

darthsidious42 said:
Man, Plinketts reviews are just way way too long. I don't find him very funny anyway but the damn review is as long as the movie and it's just tedious to try and watch. His voice really grates on my nerves too.

Kingdom was an hour? Huh. I didn't realize. I guess IMDB was wrong.

And his voice is SUPPOSED to grate on your nerves.

Some of you guys really just don't "get" it.

darthsidious42

digitalfreaknyc said:
Kingdom was an hour? Huh. I didn't realize. I guess IMDB was wrong.

And his voice is SUPPOSED to grate on your nerves.

Some of you guys really just don't "get" it.

Wow, taking it way too literally about the length of the review and the film. The point is an hour is approaching the length of an actual feature film. No review of any movie needs to be an hour long. I don't want too watch anyone reviewing anything for an hour straight.

As far as the Voice, mabye if the review was 15 or 20 minutes I could take it but for an hour?

The Some of you guys really just don't "get" it. quote is odd too.
Don't get what exactly? So if I don't like something that you like am I just not getting it?

digitalfreaknyc

darthsidious42 said:
Wow, taking it way too literally about the length of the review and the film. The point is an hour is approaching the length of an actual feature film. No review of any movie needs to be an hour long. I don't want too watch anyone reviewing anything for an hour straight.

As far as the Voice, mabye if the review was 15 or 20 minutes I could take it but for an hour?

The Some of you guys really just don't "get" it. quote is odd too.
Don't get what exactly? So if I don't like something that you like am I just not getting it?

Not liking something is one thing. Not thinking it's funny is quite another. You say that his voice is grating as if that weren't the intent. :rolleyes:
That, to me, says you didn't "get it."

I, personally, found the reviews of the prequels IMMENSELY more enjoyable than the films themselves. I have select friends that I quote the reviews with. They're hilarious and pretty ingenious. He makes some GREAT points in between the silliness.

I enjoy KOTCS for what it is but it's far from a great film and pales in comparison to the others. It's quite hard to argue with the points he brings up.

digitalfreaknyc

The Drifter said:
What?! :eek:
Did I read this correctly?!
If so... :sick:

You did. The Star Wars prequels are a joke. I can't even bring myself to watch them anymore. My hatred for them has only grown over the years...and his reviews are quite an amusing way to point out their glaring flaws.

The Drifter

digitalfreaknyc said:
You did. The Star Wars prequels are a joke. I can't even bring myself to watch them anymore. My hatred for them has only grown over the years...and his reviews are quite an amusing way to point out their glaring flaws.

It seems that I didn't read it correctly.
I thought you were implying that this person made reviews to the 'prequels' of KotCS (Which would be the original trilogy) and that you liked said reviews better than the films. :eek:

*Inserts foot in mouth*

digitalfreaknyc

The Drifter said:
It seems that I didn't read it correctly.
I thought you were implying that this person made reviews to the 'prequels' of KotCS (Which would be the original trilogy) and that you liked said reviews better than the films. :eek:

*Inserts foot in mouth*

As far as I know, "the prequels" is and always does refer to PM/AOTC/ROTS. ;) I thought that was commonly understood internet lingo. :) :) :)

Raider Joe

Red Letter Media takes their turn at KOCS: Mr. Plinkett's Review

If you've seen the hilarious and scathing reviews by the fictitious Mr. Plinkett of the Star Wars prequels, you'll enjoy this. But be warned, it's not pretty....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zphhfHon_I

Lot of reasonable criticism in there, nothing new that people haven't said already by and large. Just as with the SW prequels, just because something CAN be done doesn't mean it SHOULD be done. Have to agree. My feelings about this film haven't abated at all.