Did you expect an older Indy to be different?

Raiders90

Did you expect an older Indy to act differently or be characterized differently than he was in KOTCS? I myself expected a grittier, more uncaring Jones. Something akin to a John Wayne or Bogart in Casablanca type of character or like, basically, an older, grumpier version of the guy we meet in Raiders. More cynical, more grumpy and easier to pull the trigger. Maybe even tottering on alcoholism. Think tough guy with a sad underside, similar to Clark Gable's character in The Misfits--an aged cowboy who is all middle aged old fashioned gruff masculinity, masking a sad interior.

TheFedora

I thought maybe a more cynical Indiana Jones perhaps. One that was disillusioned with everything, maybe even having lived long enough that he started to piece together every one of his adventures and started to try to figure out how the supernatural things worked. And then he finds something he can't explain...

Raiders112390 said:
Did you expect an older Indy to act differently or be characterized differently than he was in KOTCS? I myself expected a grittier, more uncaring Jones. Something akin to a John Wayne or Bogart in Casablanca type of character or like, basically, an older, grumpier version of the guy we meet in Raiders. More cynical, more grumpy and easier to pull the trigger. Maybe even tottering on alcoholism. Think tough guy with a sad underside, similar to Clark Gable's character in The Misfits--an aged cowboy who is all middle aged old fashioned gruff masculinity, masking a sad interior.

Yes exactly... I think old Indy was to soft in Skull, should have been much gruff and a similar character to what Harry played in cowboys in aliens. Needed to be Raiders Indy but much more mean and uncaring and no hesitation to kill bad guys.

Z dweller

My main beef with KOTCS is that there is a clear disconnect between older Indy's great physical shape and Harrison's really tired face in most closeups.

In other words, I struggle to reconcile Indy's screen heroics (which are on a par with any of the previous movies) with Ford's facial expressions up close.
The contrast is too jarring.

The simple fact is, Harry was already too old when KOTCS was shot.
The last movie in which he looked like a convincing older Indy is "Six days and seven nights".

Bring on a new actor for Indy V, all Harry can really do a this stage is bookend a story set before the trilogy in the timeline and shown in flashback.

This would be the perfect premise for the next movie, IMO. (y)