KotCS reviews in media

Kingsley

Skipper said:
Is that 87% the percentage of critics who gave it a favorable review? Or does that include user reviews?
Temple of Doom...
87% from critics
92% from users
60% from Top Critics (KOTCS is currently in 67% here)

jazzycmk

I'm not reading any of the full reviews because I don't want them tainting my opinion one way or another before I see it Thursday.

However, that being said, I did look at the article here on "Raider" with the bottom line from the 18 reviews they've found so far and 13 of them seem to lean pretty positive.

Even the negative sounding ones aren't too bad. One says that it isn't bad, but is "creaky". Another says it has good moments, but it's time for Ford to "hang up the hat".

But here are the two positive ones that any Indy fan can appreciate:

"So was it worth the wait? ...Absolutely."
The Sun

"Welcome back Indy. Lord knows we’ve missed you."
James Christopher - The Times

Amen brothers.

78 hours, 40 minutes and counting

Skipper

I've never had any doubt that I would love the movie. (Heck, I even sort of liked TPM.) But as an entirely separate issue, I also want the critics to like it (or at least not hate it). Considering the bad buzz we've heard from Chud and AICN, I'm satisfied.

Falco09

The empire review is very promising. Stating that this is "NOT the Indy moving we've been dreading" and that "it's safe to say that Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull has done nothing to dilute the integrity of Spielberg and Lucas's classic hero.

Absolutely elated that most of the reviews are positive. The Sun newspaper especially surprised me as they have a nasty habit of being vicious.

MolaRam2

I am a little worried with only 67% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. Movies that get in the 60 and 70 percent range on RT are usually not very special. I am hoping for at least 80% fresh, by the time most of the reviews come in.

I want this movie to feel like it was made in the 80s, I would hate for it to feel like a boring, modern blockbuster.

About downtime, Iron Man had far more downtime than any Indy movie and it got 93% positive.

I want to see what Ebert thought, since he gave Raiders and Temple 4 stars upon their initial release.

IrishLuck1980

MolaRam2 said:
I am a little worried with only 67% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. Movies that get in the 60 and 70 percent range on RT are usually not very special. I am hoping for at least 80% fresh, by the time most of the reviews come in.

I want this movie to feel like it was made in the 80s, I would hate for it to feel like a boring, modern blockbuster.

About downtime, Iron Man had far more downtime than any Indy movie and it got 93% positive.

I want to see what Ebert thought, since he gave Raiders and Temple 4 stars upon their initial release.

I agree. I want to see what Ebert says.

Borbarad

Last edited:

Skipper

The Golden Idol said:
Better, but I still want something at least in the 80s range.
Then you're probably going to be disappointed. After all the bad buzz from Chud and AICN, I'm just glad that the critics aren't universally trashing the movie.

The Golden Idol

Skipper said:
Then you're probably going to be disappointed. After all the bad buzz from Chud and AICN, I'm just glad that the critics aren't universally trashing the movie.

Well. One can dream. :(

It is a possibility, though. Aren't the CHUD and AICN reviews fake?

Borbarad

Why is everyone so giddy about his opinion? How is he different than any other critic?

BTW- It's up to 73% not including Roberts score. And it also jumped from 6.3/10 to 6.5/10

jazzycmk

ScarfaceJoker said:
Roger Ebert weighs in - 3 1/2 out of 4! :D

Linkage

Nice. And the reviews in Time (posted on CNN) and FoxNews.com are positive. So, in the heavy traffic sites that more people will read, reviews are strong.

Also the worst headline I've read about general reaction from Cannes critics was that the movie was "ho-hum". Others have been more complimentary.