Is it still possible to go treasure hunting like Indy?

Raiders90

In this day and age, is it in any way possible to go treasure hunting (or perhaps creature hunting--cryptozoology) like Indy does? I don't mean the supernatural elements I mean strictly his methods.

tambourineman

People do, all the time. Though I'd say these days its more a hobby now than something someone could actually do as an occupation. But theres still plenty of objects out there to be found and plenty of people looking for them.

kongisking

Montana Smith said:
Most likely! There's a lot of new threads appearing that seem to be familiar.

We're running out of things to talk about, simple as that. Guess it's time for another KOTCS-bashing thread. That always gets a bazillion hits. :rolleyes:

Montana Smith

kongisking said:
We're running out of things to talk about, simple as that. Guess it's time for another KOTCS-bashing thread. That always gets a bazillion hits. :rolleyes:

We're in need of a new Indy movie! Defending KOTCS becomes laborious...

kongisking said:

Wow, you can whine even when no one ranks on that turd! You're beggin for it!:rolleyes:

Montana Smith said:
We're in need of a new Indy movie! Defending KOTCS becomes laborious...
On the flip side, it's so easy, (and there's so much) to bash!

Goodeknight

Getting back on track, sure it's possible to go on Indy-esque treasure hunting expeditions. Civil War and Indian artifacts in the states, fossil hunting on private land in the states, sneaking pottery shards out of foreign countries, going on safari in Africa, jungle cruises, volunteering (i.e. paying out the wazoo) to do the heavy labor on archaeological digs.

Lots of possibilities for adventure.

Now if you're looking for treasure maps and cryptic clues, that's more for the movies, though they certainly exist as well. But then you're looking at 'professional treasure hunting' with big $$ backers paying for lots of equipment and manpower as they hope to find lost treasures. (What's the name of the island with the supposed pirate treasure and all the flood water traps, etc?)

So, just go looking for arrowheads and get some friends to shoot at you with paintball guns while you do it.

Gabeed

There are countries where archaeological sites are not hemmed in by fences and guards, and tourists are few enough that it almost seems like you're discovering a place anew. I definitely got this feeling when I was in Syria, particularly at Palmyra and the Dead Cities.

I haven't been to Turkmenistan, but from what I've read, the cities of the Khwarezm shahs, destroyed by the Mongols about 800 years ago, are largely unexcavated there.

Willie

Absolutely! People around the world are on archaelogical digs and digging up treasures, both legally and illegally. I watching a documentary on this recently.

Gear

EgyptianPharaoh said:
Dr.Zahi Hawass does some amazing things!..and He is 63 years old....He kinda reminds me of an old Indiana...

Erm, no.

To the contrary, I think Hawass has the sort of filter on history and relics that Indiana Jones would defend against.

Saber79

I can only imagine that it would be possible to still go treasure hunting as I'm sure there any tons of stuff still left to be found...

However, I would think a lot of the mystery and romanticism of the unknown would be lost with the way the world is shrinking with the internet, social media networks etc etc. I think a lot of what draws us to the Indy movies and stories are the mystery of the unknown and the fact that is set in the 20's-50's, where you could still use your imagination and education to get by, without having to just merely do a google search.

Part of me is actually saddened that I didn't get to experience that time, from what I see in movies and pictures, it really looked like a wondrous time.