TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
User Name
Password

Old 07-25-2014, 08:28 AM   #76
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

There's just nothing driving the movie except the assumption that the audience is going to go along with it. The movie can't even be bothered to express story goals in a halfway organic manner, which leaves us with lines like the following (verbatim):

"We have to get Oxley back, get our hands on that skull and get to Akator before they do!"

Yikes.
Udvarnoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:01 AM   #77
curmudgeon
IndyFan

Quote:
"We have to get Oxley back, get our hands on that skull and get to Akator before they do!"

... when did they say that line?
curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:28 PM   #78
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

Indy says it at the kickoff of the jungle chase.
Udvarnoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 04:39 PM   #79
raiderdad
IndyFan

Other than a few sequences, like the tomb-plundering with the kid, and some of the opening, I was deeply disappointed by this film.
raiderdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 03:02 AM   #80
Gear
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyLGR
I'm still at a loss to wonder how the obvious flaws in the story got past such experienced people. Maybe they needed to make the film as the story stood there and then or else it would never have been made.

I think you've got it, right there. Ok, folks, mystery solved! We can clock out, now...

But really, they had 19 years to waffle and entertain the idea of making a fourth film and conceptualize what it might be like if and maybe when they made another Indy movie. Often, the best results come when you just get down, get serious and make something. There's this interview Charlie Rose did with Jack White where White talks about how he always works with limits and time constraints to keep creativity and drive alive, and also so he actually accomplishes something. They didn't have any of that until it was time to piss or get off the pot. Or maybe on the pot

I, myself, am of the "INTP" personality type, and I know how easy it is to dwell up inside the mind, ever conceptualizing and over-thinking. Many times, it isn't until I'm under the gun--either on my own terms or not--that things actually get done. Just ask most of my unstarted or unfinished creative endeavors.

This is the trap that the creators of KotCS fell into. Perfectionism coupled with too much time (until the last minute) and 19 years of ideas that weren't executed well.

I echo the common agreement that the story goes limp after around the first third. Come to think of it, I think I've only seen KotCS about three times all the way through. I've watched up until the scene back at Indy's house discussing the 'hard years' quite a few times, though. ... Interesting.

Although, I'm very glad KotCS was made rather than not. I'll stand by that.

Last edited by Gear : 12-02-2014 at 03:08 AM.
Gear is offline   Reply With Quote