Cloning of Mammoths? Is it Possible?

roundshort

Roundshort scratches his head and tries to think of the joke which he last heard in 4th grade, and his memory is not so good. . .well here it goes

(remember this is elemtery school humor here)

well these guys wanted to win the grand prize at a county fair, for havign the largest *mammoth* and they were trying to figure out how to raise the largest mammth, so they come up with a very fatting diet, butt he *mammoth* is not getting fat enough, so one guy coems up with the idea of using a very large cork in one end of the *mammoth* . . . .

roundshort

temple of john said:
I like it and it stayed on topic. Excellent roudshort.

By the way, have you heard the one about the Priest, the Rabbi and the Mammoth?

ha-ha-ha- that a good one . . .

Doc Savage

ClintonHammond said:
So I take it you never found a source, Doc S......
I neglected to look...yours seemed pretty viable. I'll remedy that discrepancy soon, as well as get an estimated temperature necessary to flash freeze an animal of those proportions.

"there are many other examples of Mammoths with food in their mouths"

Source them please

From Wiki (Here's your grain of salt)
To date, thirty-nine preserved bodies have been found, but only four of them are complete. In most cases the flesh shows signs of decay before its freezing and later desiccation. Stories abound about frozen mammoth corpses that were still edible once defrosted, but the original sources (e.g. William R. Farrand's article in Science 133 [March 17, 1961]:729-735) indicate that the corpses were in fact terribly decayed, and the stench so unbearable that only the dogs accompanying the finders showed any interest in the flesh.

Last edited:

roundshort

LIke in South park, they should clone them with pot bellied pigs . . .think of it, the next great pet craze,

Pot-bellied Mammoths . . .I wonder if the bacon would be good.

fortuneandglory

on another note

On a more serious note here... even though this is paleontology, not archaeology, these mammoths went extinct during the Ice Age... they are mammals, and probably carry disease just like any lifeform. Now, considering that, our immunity to certain diseases carried by Mammoths would be most certainly gone. Could the cloning of these animals bring back some long dead virus, hidden within the animal, that mankind has absolutely no immunity to? The mammoths were not some animal that went extinct due to deforestation, or conquistatdors, or the like. They had their chance, and nature selected them for extinction. Why, how? We cant know. And we cant possibly know what they carried within those genes.

But maybe I just watched Jurassic Park too many times.;)

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Not likely, if we clone a mammoth they will be exposed to what currently exists...we have no virii or long extinct disease to worry about being brought back from the past.

JediIndy

Maybe there might be a danger shortround. Maybe we are opening a Pandora's box. But dammit who cares! I for one would like to see a Wooly Mammoth before I die. (sigh) I just wish it was feasable to clone at least one dinosaur. Even a crappy dinosaur like those small ocampasauras (those things which look like really tiny raptors) I would like to see at least one dinosaur when I die. It would be so cool to see T-rex and stegasaurus and Velociraptors. Man I would love to see Velociraptors and have them get out of control and eat all the scientists! Lol!

You don't agree with them? Or you don't think they exist?

Saying NO to "Global Warming" is like saying no to a bullet, in flight, aimed at your head.

Cloning is most likely, just a matter of time.

why clone a wooly mammoth? with global warming why would we want to bring an extinct animal back that lives in cold weather in a time of rising temperatures?Why not clone something useful and sustainable,like a wooly Paris Hilton.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
The company Colossal launched yesterday: "a resurrected population of the mammoths, if let loose in the arctic, would chomp and stomp down the bush and trees, exposing the earth to subzero temperatures and allowing the tundra’s original grasslands to grow back."

Related: 12,000 year old Amazon rock art of giant Ice Age creatures.