inspiration for an Indy island

Stoo

foreverwingnut said:
Sorry, I'm not ready to open another dialogue with Stoo just yet,...
A pilot named, Jock Lindsey, once said: "Come on! Show a little backbone, will ya?";) What will it take to soothe your bitter attitude, Wingnut? A personal foot massage?:confused:
foreverwingnut said:
...but I am impressed with his suggestion of Anafi- it is an excellent choice as an inspiration for the Ark Island.
That's nice to hear but I posted the Anafi thing 14 days ago. Unfortunately, you decided to shut the door on me. Two days ago, you wanted this thread deleted because you felt that it had no “real substance” and was "going nowhere". Well, it’s rolling now because Archaeos wisely investigated my Anafi proposition. (Something you could have done yourself but chose not to.)

When it comes to nitty-gritty details, I have much to offer. For your own benefit, it would be silly to continue blocking my posts (otherwise you’ll be missing out on some good stuff). I can add more to this topic so I implore you to reconsider your position, Wingnut.

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
A pilot named, Jock Lindsey, once said: "Come on! Show a little backbone, will ya?";) What will it take to soothe your bitter attitude, Wingnut? A personal foot massage?:confused:
That's nice to hear but I posted the Anafi thing 14 days ago. Unfortunately, you decided to shut the door on me. Two days ago, you wanted this thread deleted because you felt that it had no ?real substance? and was "going nowhere". Well, it?s rolling now because Archaeos wisely investigated my Anafi proposition. (Something you could have done yourself but chose not to.)

When it comes to nitty-gritty details, I have much to offer. For your own benefit, it would be silly to continue blocking my posts (otherwise you?ll be missing out on some good stuff). I can add more to this topic so I implore you to reconsider your position, Wingnut.

While the two threads began with a different intention, this one is covering the same ground as Greeks Find Ark of the Covenant.

Since the other one had a different purpose, they aren't ripe for merging. So I'll add my post from t'other thread:

Smiffy said:
What was the actual island in this picture? Marin Island, San Pablo Bay, off San Rafael, California is listed as the location of the base, but it doesn't look like the photos I've seen.

348.jpg

Greece_Map.gif

And Stoo's replies:

Stewie said:
That's because the island is a matte painting! :whip:

Stewie said:
The closest, real-world location is the Greek island of Anafi. (It's also closer in size, too.)

Island_01.jpg

I think the Raiders map was deliberately vague enough to avoiding specifiying the island in the real world.

As was the painting vs Anafi itself:

anafi1.jpg

It's likely to be the island next door to Anafi that only exists in Indyverse. ;)

Stoo

foreverwingnut said:
I immediately thought of the hidden Nazi port when I saw this.
Malta6.jpg
I've been to that exact location and the "hidden Nazi port" never even crossed my mind. It's not a cavern entrance within the face of a cliff (as seen in "Raiders"). It's an inlet.
foreverwingnut said:
Malta4.jpg

The Jewish ruins in the photo above have a similarity to the ritual stage on the Ark Island.
Where is the similarity to the Ark's altar stage in this photo?:confused: Hagar Qim was built more than *2000* years before the Phoenicians (Semitic/Jewish people) arrived in Malta. As far as I'm aware, this temple was built by people from the south of Sicily. (On a side note: Agrigento in the south of Sicily is an AWESOME site to visit ancient Greek ruins! Highly recommended!(y))
foreverwingnut said:
Notice the high bluffs with very little vegitation. The rock layers look a great deal like the canyon walls on the Ark Island.
Wingnut, that is a coastal cliff. Try to find a canyon within the interior of Malta or Gozo. I bid you good luck!:D
foreverwingnut said:
However, I have to wonder if there was also a decision to change the location so that it better resembled the Maltese Islands. Am I way off target here?
You are cherry-picking certain photos from the internet to suit your own idea. I've been to Malta and can also post photos that show its relatively, FLAT terrain (which contradict the sharp, mountainous Ark Island). Within the Mediterranean, I've also been to the islands of Sicily, Stromboli, Lipari, Vulcano, Panarea and Capri (each of them more than twice). All of them have areas with the same coastal characteristics as the Malta photos you grabbed from the internet.

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
I've been to that exact location and the "hidden Nazi port" never even crossed my mind. It's not a cavern entrance within the face of a cliff (as seen in "Raiders"). It's an inlet.

Where is the similarity to the Ark's altar stage in this photo?:confused: Hagar Qim was built more than *2000* years before the Phoenicians (Semitic/Jewish people) arrived in Malta. As far as I'm aware, this temple was built by people from the south of Sicily. (On a side note: Agrigento in the south of Sicily is an AWESOME site to visit ancient Greek ruins! Highly recommended!(y))

Wingnut, that is a coastal cliff. Try to find a canyon within the interior of Malta or Gozo. I bid you good luck!:D

You are cherry-picking certain photos from the internet to suit your own idea. I've been to Malta and can also post photos that show its relatively, FLAT terrain (which contradict the sharp, mountainous Ark Island). Within the Mediterranean, I've also been to the islands of Sicily, Stromboli, Lipari, Vulcano, Panarea and Capri (each of them more than twice). All of them have areas with the same coastal characteristics as the Malta photos you grabbed from the internet.

Dietrich refered to the place as "some obscure island". As already noted this unnamed "Mediterranean Island" was a jungle in the novelization:

There was a land mass ahead, an island, a semitropical place - halcyon, he thought. He stared at the rich foliage. Green, wonderful and deep and restful. The submarine approached the island, skimming into what looked like a cave.

With a beach of sand dunes:

He sat down in the sand, hidden by rushes that grew on the edge of the dunes.

It puts me in mind of Crab Key in Dr. No:

9tt09nudjvylyvu.jpg

I wonder if that was the initial intention? To put Indy into one of Bond's first exotic locations?

Then upon realizing this was not possible in the Mediterranean, the setting was amended to something more appropriate.

While the location in the novel sounds much closer to Africa from Dietrich's words,

"You have given specific orders to the captain of this vessel to proceed to a certain supply base - an island located off the African coast.”

the map in the film places it further north.

Ironically, after the Ark was opened the "Nazi paradise" became a more recognizably Mediterranean environment:

It burned the island, flattened trees, overturned boats, smashed the dock itself. It changed everything. Fire and light. It destroyed as though it were an anger that might never be appeased.

foreverwingnut

Malta7.jpg

When referring to the Nazi base, I was referring to this photo- the one above the earlier caption, not below. First photo, first comment. Why would you assume I was making a cavern reference to a photo that had no cavern? Show us the the cavern from Anafi, Stoo. Where is it? Anafi is certainly similar to the shape of the Ark island, but so is Filfla and I'm sure other members will present some other impressive locations. Where is the other criteria for your argument that Anafi is the only choice? You've presented absolutely nothing but a distant shot of your island. You nitpicked that a rock fascade from Malta isn't a canyon, well, where's your canyon? For that matter, show us a rock fascade from Anafi that bears as much resemblance to the canyon as the photo I presented. I was pointing out geological similarities in the strata. Show us yours. You said Malta has only low, flat terrain? Were you "high" when you visited Malta? We can all see the high bluffs in these photos. Maltese islands do have some lower, flat topography, but I'm only pointing out certain set pieces from Malta for their similarities to the Ark Island. Some of the Ark Island was filmed in Tunisia, which isn't even an island, so why are you nitpicking over an island wall? Also, I never said the large Jewish population that once inhabited Malta had been responsible for building the structures, but it is their civilization and culture that is now imprinted on the ruins and it is their settlement that archeologists are studying- exactly what I've said from the beginning. It was a documentary about the study of the Jewish settlement on Malta that prompted some familiar imagery to the Raiders film.
Malta4.jpg

arkisland2.jpg

Where is the staging area on Anafi, Stoo? Show us. Belloq chose his island carefully for its ancient connection to the Hebrew God- a more fitting and safer place to open the Ark than Berlin, so that the Hebrew God might be more forgiving. This is why Belloq also chose to perform the ceremony by Jewish custom. The stage on the Ark Island was not made by the Germans- it was already there. Malta has a rich Jewish history. Where is Anafi's connection to Judaism? My reasoning for this thread was to allow everyone to present some ideas without getting hassled for their finds. You've not only missed the spirit of this thread by attempting another fight, but you've failed to present any real value for your own presentation of Anafi. The climax to Raiders could easily have been filmed in different locations around the Maltese chain of islands without the use of blue screens and matte paintings. Can you say the same for Anafi? Now everyone might understand why I didn't want to be drawn into another debate with you. You don't know how to present your ideals constructively or even fairly. This is typical of most of your comments on other threads.

foreverwingnut

Sorry, Archaeos, I think I may have inadvertently steered you wrong when you asked where Haqar was located. I responded:

foreverwingnut said:
The ruins that are pictured above are of Haqar Qim on Malta. Of the dozen ruin sites dotting both Malta and Gozo, this one is said to be the best preserved. I'm not sure if all of the ruins were constructed by Jewish settlers, but this one is believed to have been.

Sorry about my slip there. I meant to say that Jewish settlers built up their own civilization inside existing ruins. Jewish settlers added their own distinctiveness the site by restructuring and adding new buildings. My earlier comment wasn't intentionally in err, just not elaborate. Jewish settlers built onto the ruins, but were not the originators. Much like many Native American sites show the infusion of different societies.

Last edited by a moderator:

foreverwingnut

Monty wrote about the island:

"It puts me in mind of Crab Key in Dr. No:
I wonder if that was the initial intention? To put Indy into one of Bond's first exotic locations?"

This is the kind of presentation that I like to see. Some excellent clues to a possible inspiration for the mysterious island in the novel. After all, James Bond was the inspiration for Indiana Jones. I couldn't help but think that the novel was being written at the same time the movie was being shot, in order that they might both be released at the same time, accounting for a lack of communication between the two fronts who were both working from the original script. Aside from the change of scenery in our island, there are some other inconsistencies. The great stunt of Indy climbing beneath the cargo truck was a spur-of-the-moment idea on-the-set. There is nothing like this stunt in the novel. Maybe the novel would present more clues for us if the author had been kept abreast of the changes on-set.

Stoo

Foreverwingnut, I think you’re misunderstanding me.

1) When I wrote that Malta is “mostly flat with low-lying, rolling hills”, I didn’t mean that it is a sea-level pancake. What I mean is: It doesn’t have any tall, pointy mountains (like the “Raiders” island). Bluffs & cliffs surround parts of its coastline but the overall SURFACE of the island is quite flat. Any difference in ground elevation has smooth, gradual slopes, therefore, its terrain is not identical to the Ark Island (and that is the point I'm objecting to).

2) I NEVER, ever said that Anafi was an inspiration! The only reason that I mentioned Anafi is because it is the closest, real-world location. That said, there are ancient ruins on Anafi (what there origin is, I don’t know) and there are Jewish connections to some of the islands in that area of the Mediterranean. (Lesbos for example).

3) It’s been ages since I’ve read the “Raiders” novelization and my copy is stuck in storage far away. Offhand, I can’t recall anything about Belloq choosing the island because of its Jewish history. Can someone please transcribe the relevant bits?

4) Many of my posts are blunt & direct because I’m not fond of writing long, explanatory, time-consuming essays unless it’s necessary. They may come across as rude but that isn’t the intention.:cool: (Your aversion to my style of writing is a rare instance.)

Anyway, Wingnut, I’m off to Italy for a couple of days so I’ll talk to you when I get back. Arrivederci!:hat:

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
3) It?s been ages since I?ve read the ?Raiders? novelization and my copy is stuck in storage far away. Offhand, I can?t recall anything about Belloq choosing the island because of its Jewish history. Can someone please transcribe the relevant bits?

Here are the references, Stoo.

Dietrich paused before going on: "I find it curious that you want to open the Ark on some obscure island instead of taking the more convenient route - namely Cairo. Why can't you look inside your blessed box in Egypt, Belloq?"

"It wouldn't be fitting," Belloq said.

"Can you explain that?"

"I could-but you would not understand, I fear."

Dietrich looked angry; he felt his authority once more had been undermined - but the Frenchman had the Fuhrer as an ally. What could he do, faced with that fact?

He turned quickly and walked away. Belloq watched him go. For a long time the Frenchman didn't move. He felt a great sense of anticipation all at once, thinking of the island. The Ark could have been opened almost anywhere - in that sense Dietrich was correct. But it was appropriate, Belloq thought, that it should be opened on the island. It should be opened in a place whose atmosphere was heavy with the distant past, a place of some historic importance. Yes, Belloq thought. The setting had to match the moment. There had to be a correspondence between the Ark and its environment. Nothing else would do.

The Frenchman was staring beyond the clearing to a stone outcropping on the other side-a pinnacle some thirty feet high with a flat slab at the top. Into the sides of the slope some ancient tribe, some lost species, had carved primitive steps. The appearance was like an altar-and it was this fact that had brought Belloq here. An altar, a natural arrangement of rock that might have been designed by God for the very purpose of opening the Ark.

He was thinking of the lost tribe that had cut those steps, that had left its own relics scattered here and there, in the form of broken statues suggesting forgotten divinities, across the island. The religious connotations of the place were exactly right: the Ark had found a place that matched its own splendor. It was correct: nowhere else could have been better.

It's not that the island had any Jewish connection, but just that it had a strong sense of an unknown sacred past. Belloq was drawn to it because the location seemed appropriate for the ritual he was going to perform.

The mention of "some ancient tribe, some lost species" with their "forgotten divinities" might also have been inspired by Lucas' references to von Däniken in the Story Conference. Such a jungle setting with a lost tribe and their strange divinities would, of course, be returned to in KOTCS.

foreverwingnut

It's all good, Stoo, we're starting to understand one another. I just have to get used to debate on this forum. The problem with debates in writing is that it is so 2-dimensional, lacking any sentiment or expression, and can easily be misinterpreted by others. I was prepared to add some great photos of a fault-line canyon that disects the entire island of Malta, but it's no longer necessary. Stoo and I have presented enough photos to show that the Ark Island is very much designed like the islands of the Mediterranean islands, which is the essence of this thread at any rate. While parts of the mysterious, unknown island in the climax of Raiders was filmed on a set, or superimposed with blue screen or matte painting, or on location in Tunisia, the topography and mystique of what we are shown in the film is very much like these Mediterranean islands. MontanaSmith posted a photo of a jungle island from another part of the globe (South Pacific?) that shows a great contrast when compared with what we see from the island in Raiders. When the production crew of the film agreed to change the island from a lush jungle to a barren island, they must have done their homework to draw inspiration from the actual islands of the Mediterranean. I'd hate to see this thread end just because Stoo and I have exhausted our presentations, so more photos of other Mediterranean islands are still welcome. I would love to see some archival photos of actual WWII German ports in the Mediterranean. Or even some modern-day photos that show the remains of German occupation. Anybody?

foreverwingnut

Sorry, the original image posts were lost. Here they are again.
foreverwingnut said:
Malta7.jpg

I immediately thought of the hidden Nazi port when I saw this.
Malta4.jpg

arkisland2.jpg

The Jewish ruins in the photo above have a similarity to the ritual stage on the Ark Island.
maltafaultwall.jpg

The rock layers look a great deal like the canyon walls on the Ark Island.
Filfla.jpg

The Maltese Island Filfla.

foreverwingnut

foreverwingnut said:
I'd hate to see this thread end just because Stoo and I have exhausted our presentations, so more photos of other Mediterranean islands are still welcome. I would love to see some archival photos of actual WWII German ports in the Mediterranean. Or even some modern-day photos that show the remains of German occupation. Anybody?
I found a couple of really great images of Mediterranean islands during WWII.
Britishwarshipmediterranean.jpg

I don't know which Mediterranean island this is, but it has a great sense of mystery about it. That's a British warplane in the foreground.
Gibraltar.jpg

Gibraltar at the very edge of the Mediterranean. I love this image because the plane is a Grumman's Goose, which was the plane of my favorite childhood series, "Tales of the Gold Monkey"- an Indy inspired adventure series.

foreverwingnut

Very cool, Archaeos, thank-you! Everyone should take a look at the link. I'm reminded of a time I tried to dig my own underground shelter at age 12, which was in my neighbors overgrown lot. I had a pretty good sized hole started before I got caught. I was inspired by the caverns in The Goonies and Indy films and wanted my own, which surely would have been my own death trap. Good thing I got caught!

Stoo

foreverwingnut said:
It's all good, Stoo, we're starting to understand one another. I just have to get used to debate on this forum. The problem with debates in writing is that it is so 2-dimensional, lacking any sentiment or expression, and can easily be misinterpreted by others. I was prepared to add some great photos of a fault-line canyon that disects the entire island of Malta, but it's no longer necessary.
Foreverwingnut, it's good to see you that you're still here!:) Of the several excerpts from the novel that Montana Smiff posted, this one lends the most credence to your Malta theory:

"You have given specific orders to the captain of this vessel to proceed to a certain supply base - an island located off the African coast.”

Re. Malta's fault line: That has become known as The Victoria Lines because it was fortified by the British during the peak of their glorious Empire. I wanted to visit the Targa Gap area but didn't have time.:(
Montana Smith said:
It's not that the island had any Jewish connection, but just that it had a strong sense of an unknown sacred past.
So my suspicions were correct: The Ark Island didn't have a specific Jewish connection.
Archaeos said:
While talking about crazy island options, the Olavsvern Naval Base near Tromsø in Norway should not remain unmentioned. After all, it sports a secret submarine station, which is now on the market for 105m Norwegian Krone, or £11.3m is you have some spare sterlings around.
Nice one, Archaeos!(y)

While not a submarine base, the Germans had large artillery pieces on the Greek island of Leros (not to confused with the island of Lesbos with the Jewish connection) and was relatively close to Anafi. There was a battle there during WW2 which was the inspiration for Alistair Maclean's "The Guns of Navarone" (which is fiction). The novel & film feature a discreet, German military installation within the cliffs of a mountain island:

navarone5.jpg

Last edited:

foreverwingnut

We all agree now that the Ark Island is a mix-match of several different Mediterranean islands, but- just for fun and curiosity- can we now perhaps fabricate a location for the fictitious island, given the vague criteria in the book? I still hold to my theory that the ruins on the mysterious island were Judaic because Belloq planned the opening of the Ark with exact Hebrew tradition, but this theory is no longer relevant. All we know with certainty is that it is a small, rugged island in the Mediterranean off the coast of Africa with sacred ruins, a hidden base, and a canyon- that's all. I would venture a guess that the fictitious island is perhaps off the coast of Libya, southeast of Malta and southwest of Crete, in the Gulf of Sirte somewhere.