RE: the crystal skull

thefumegator

That's too cool, man. You're talking about the privately owned one, right? (I forget the name of the lady that owns it and claims to have found it.)

I sure would like to see it. I have no doubt that if it really is a genuine artifact (there is some question), it should be a wonder of the world.

Hence my quote, I think it's a fascinating thing, but trying to sift through all of the crap about "the mystical energies contained within crystal" and "trying to communicate with the skull," ad infinitum, is nauseating. I just want to know the facts behind the thing.

Of course, if you look into the story of that particular skull's "discovery," it doesn't hold up to any criticism. The owner maintains that she found it in British Honduras (Belize), but the facts point elsewhere. Regardless, I WANT TO KNOW THE FACTS!

An identical artifact was used in the Max McCoy novels, but it was such an excellent story, that I think they should use something like it for Indy 4.

Cheers,
Wes

JasperMoon

The lady who owns it I believe now has it in Canada, Toronto? There was a huge lecture, pictures, etc. I remember pictures of the natives, the areas where she found it, the place. It was fascinzting, yes. And there was really no hocus pocus in the lecture. although the place I saw it was Lily Dale. If you are familiar with Lily Dale it is a spiriatual haven for psychics. AND THIS WAS THE SKULL YOU SPEAK OF.

thefumegator

That sounds great. Yes, that's the skull I was referring to in Toronto.

No hocus pocus in the lecture, even in a haven for "psychics"? That's amazing! They usually take ever opportunity to preach and blab about their energies and auras and such.

Did you get to take any pictures of it? What it like so much about that particular skull, as opposed to other crystal skulls, is that it is completely realistic looking. Others are usually stylized or cartoonish looking.

If I happen to find anything of substance about it, I'll post it here so that you fellows won't have to sift through the crud. ;) We could be the "crystal skull support group." :D

Wes

Kingsley

JasperMoon said:
Do you know of someone who can get to these guys to pitch? I've been studying it and lookin for an agnecy to rerpresent me. I am a published writer.
Maybe JasperMoon got succesfully to "those guys" to pitch...

otto rahn

If you want to read the F A Mitchell-Hedges "take" on the finding of the skull (as well as his other adventures) check out his book "Danger My Ally" ("self published " ?by a company called Mitchell-Hedges and Honey in 1995)

HistoryAddict

Indy might approve...

He wasn't much into the magical properties of items, so I decided to post some of the scientific properties of crystal so the magical properties might be explained:

The reason the crystal skull attracted so much attention when it was analyzed, was because they found some pretty amazing results. Researchers found that the skull had been carved against the natural axis of the crystal. Even modern crystal sculptors follow the axis, or orientation of the crystal's molecular symmetry, because if they carve "against the grain," the piece shatters, even with the use of lasers and other modern cutting methods.
Quartz crystal also has an electric charge that supposedly draws gold atoms to it, creating a bluish color. That could explain a blue ?glow??
Quartz is also strongly piezoelectric (so it is used as a radio oscillator to control transmission and reception on fixed frequencies. This same property is used in watches and clocks where a tiny quartz plate is used to control the radio frequency of the electronic circuitry for more precise time-telling).
I'm not saying I'm not open-minded enough to consider other-worldy properties of items, I just though I'd present what I found out.
Just food for thought?

Insomniac

what color is the skull in the movie I got a picture where its blue and one where its clear and one black
But good point about kennedy sound pretty bizzare 2 me 2.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
It's times like this I wish our resident psychic JasperMoon would brief us on the franchise 5 years from now...

Indy's brother

Toht's Arm said:
Did the Beards have him killed after stealing his idea...?

Probably, but in an ironic twist of fate, they are attempting to raise him from the dead for Indy 5 inspiration as well (ZOMBIES BABY!!!!). Problem is, they can't use his resurrection for a plot device until after they've succeeded. Turns out it's a little tougher than they thought. Catch 22.

Probably should have consulted JasperMoon before killing him.

D'oh....!

foreverwingnut

A few of the crystal skulls, according to research experts, are 20th Century frauds. However, no so-called expert has been able to disprove imperically the validity of the Mitchell-Hedges skull. Experts find the aspects of its discovery suspicious but this is no proof of a hoax. While on the dig-site in Belize, Mitchell-Hedges told his daughter in the morning that there was sure be a discovery of something special on that day- her birthday. His daughter later climbed atop a ruins and peered down into an opening to see soemthing gleeming from a shaft of sunlight. Only she was small enough to be lowered into the pit to retrieve the skull. The mandable was later discovered elsewhere on the site. Had she not chosen to climb the ruins at that very moment when the sun was shining into that tiny opening, she would never have seen the hint of a glimmer reflecting off a partially buried crystal skull. Being that she was the only one who could fit into the hole, she would also be the only person to place it there in the event that it was a hoax. However, unilke other skulls that were "discovered" by single individuals, there were too many diggers on this particular site that would have noticed a shady deal and could easily have garnered their own attention by speaking to the press about a hoax. I think it's more likely that the coincidences favor a legitimate find than the contrary in this particular case.

Montana Smith

foreverwingnut said:
A few of the crystal skulls, according to research experts, are 20th Century frauds. However, no so-called expert has been able to disprove imperically the validity of the Mitchell-Hedges skull. Experts find the aspects of its discovery suspicious but this is no proof of a hoax. While on the dig-site in Belize, Mitchell-Hedges told his daughter in the morning that there was sure be a discovery of something special on that day- her birthday. His daughter later climbed atop a ruins and peered down into an opening to see soemthing gleeming from a shaft of sunlight. Only she was small enough to be lowered into the pit to retrieve the skull. The mandable was later discovered elsewhere on the site. Had she not chosen to climb the ruins at that very moment when the sun was shining into that tiny opening, she would never have seen the hint of a glimmer reflecting off a partially buried crystal skull. Being that she was the only one who could fit into the hole, she would also be the only person to place it there in the event that it was a hoax. However, unilke other skulls that were "discovered" by single individuals, there were too many diggers on this particular site that would have noticed a shady deal and could easily have garnered their own attention by speaking to the press about a hoax. I think it's more likely that the coincidences favor a legitimate find than the contrary in this particular case.

It was pretty much debunked by auction records and other evidence. The daughter continued the myth because she made money out of claiming it had supernatural powers.

Montana Smith

foreverwingnut said:
Records that the daughter actually bought the skull or records that she sold the skull?

There was a documentary a few years ago in which they dug up the auction records showing Mitchell-Hedges purchased the skull. He then allegedly fabricated the story of finding it himself.

There's a thread here somewhere devoted to that program.

foreverwingnut

Unless something has come to light recently, the sale records that I'm familiar with are from the 1940s when Mitchell-Hedges had to put the skull up for collateral on an earlier IOU. The records don't indicate to what services the IOU was for. This leaves room for speculation, but there hasn't been enough evidence to kill the belief that the Mitchell-Hedges skull is genuine. Theories are often layed to rest about it such as one researcher claimed the skull was made of seperate pieces of crystal while later researchers rebuked that not only is the skull made from a single quartz crystal, but the mandible is from the same crystal as well. I, myself, am on the fence about the skulls as being genuine or fraudulent. I think this is a mystery that some of us secretly hope won't ever be solved. It's just too much fun.

Montana Smith

foreverwingnut said:
Unless something has come to light recently, the sale records that I'm familiar with are from the 1940s when Mitchell-Hedges had to put the skull up for collateral on an earlier IOU. The records don't indicate to what services the IOU was for. This leaves room for speculation, but there hasn't been enough evidence to kill the belief that the Mitchell-Hedges skull is genuine. Theories are often layed to rest about it such as one researcher claimed the skull was made of seperate pieces of crystal while later researchers rebuked that not only is the skull made from a single quartz crystal, but the mandible is from the same crystal as well. I, myself, am on the fence about the skulls as being genuine or fraudulent. I think this is a mystery that some of us secretly hope won't ever be solved. It's just too much fun.

Been a while since I saw the documentary. I think it came out at the time of KOTCS.

It went through various stages of debunking. France comes to mind as to where they said the skull was made.

IndianaBones

RE: the crystal skull

Has anyone else besides me ever seen the crystal skull that supposedly turned a bluish color before the assassination of President Kennedy? It's quite something to behold. I for one was awed. That could make for quite a different kind of Indy story altogether. A few more exist and no one knows from where they came! And if I can remember, there is rumored to be still others.
What is the fifth film about, Jasper?