TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones Trilogy
User Name
Password

Old 06-06-2008, 10:13 AM   #1
LostArk
IndyFan

Misconceptions you had when you first watched the movies

One time, before I had even watched the movies, RotLA was on TV and it was on the basket chase scene and when I watched Indy knocking over the baskets in Cairo, I thought he was looking for the Ark.

The first time I watched ToD, I thought Willie was one of Indy's spies like Wu Han when he took her as a hostage with that poker.

I also thought Fedora from The Last Crusade was actually Indy played by a different actor. I was very disappointed
LostArk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:27 AM   #2
MolaRam2
IndyFan

Well, the one many people will probably have in common is not realizing ToD is a prequel.
MolaRam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:40 AM   #3
LostArk
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolaRam2
Well, the one many people will probably have in common is not realizing ToD is a prequel.

Sometimes people miss that kind of thing because they ignore the opening credits and miss the time/setting caption. I know because it happened to me the first time
Old 06-06-2008, 11:15 AM   #4
fixer79
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostArk
Sometimes people miss that kind of thing because they ignore the opening credits and miss the time/setting caption. I know because it happened to me the first time

Happened to me too. I thought Doom was Raiders' sequel for many years...
It's really an easy mistake to make...
The reprisal of the 'shoot the swordsman' gag in Doom doesn't help either. In fact it works better if you consider Raiders happened before Doom.

I can't think of any other real misconceptions...

Oh, except for the fact that I thought Indy was talking about Ike Turner when he said "I like Ike" in Crystal Skull... I don't think many non-Americans got that joke at first.
fixer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:22 AM   #5
The Man
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostArk
One time, before I had even watched the movies, RotLA was on TV and it was on the basket chase scene and when I watched Indy knocking over the baskets in Cairo, I thought he was looking for the Ark.

The first time I watched ToD, I thought Willie was one of Indy's spies like Wu Han when he took her as a hostage with that poker.

I also thought Fedora from The Last Crusade was actually Indy played by a different actor. I was very disappointed

Yeah, I thought Fedora was Indy in those first moments too. Ahh, the days before spoilermania...
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:26 AM   #6
MaxPhactor23
IndyFan

For a long time I always thought Toht was chinese.
MaxPhactor23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:45 AM   #7
The Drifter
IndyFan

Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
When I was a wee lad mt dad told me that ToD took place first.

I did not know why the piolets jumps from Lao Che's plane, until I learned to read.

I was scared of Toht's melting head. It was almost as bad as Large Marge from Peewee's Big Advenure!
The Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:49 AM   #8
MaxPhactor23
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonsome_Drifter
When I was a wee lad mt dad told me that ToD took place first.

Temple of Doom does take place first. People were literally just talking about it up above and how people don't read the year at the beginning.
MaxPhactor23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:06 PM   #9
The Drifter
IndyFan

Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPhactor23
Temple of Doom does take place first. People were literally just talking about it up above and how people don't read the year at the beginning.

My sentence read wrong, I am sorry.
I meant to state that my dad was the one who told me that it was a prequel. Before that, I always thought that it took place after Raiders.
The Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:47 PM   #10
IAdventurer01
IndyFan

In ToD, I thought Indy was threatened that his feet would be cut off rather than ... well, let's just say it was a misunderstanding.
IAdventurer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:39 PM   #11
blueoakleyz
IndyFan

Until recently I always thought Indy's school was in england
blueoakleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:18 AM   #12
oliverjones18
IndyFan

when i was little I threw up when I saw Toht's melting head and i didn't watch raiders again until I was 11. when i first saw raiders i didn't comprehend it cause i was little and i thought they were looking for Noah's ark
oliverjones18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:41 AM   #13
Turtle
IndyFan

For a long time, I thought that Temple was made before Raiders, as well as being set before it. This is when I first got the films on video, I was very young and didn't understand the concept of prequels.

I didn't find out it was made afterwards until the VHS releases that came with Young Indy videos.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:49 AM   #14
nitzsche
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixer79
Happened to me too. I thought Doom was Raiders' sequel for many years...
It's really an easy mistake to make...
The reprisal of the 'shoot the swordsman' gag in Doom doesn't help either. In fact it works better if you consider Raiders happened before Doom.

I can't think of any other real misconceptions...

Oh, except for the fact that I thought Indy was talking about Ike Turner when he said "I like Ike" in Crystal Skull... I don't think many non-Americans got that joke at first.

Dwight Eisenhower's nickname was "Ike". The slogan "I like Ike" is referring to him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft_Eisenhower
nitzsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:37 PM   #15
JerryKing
IndyFan

As a child, while watching "Raiders" - and for many years afterwards - I was sure that Junior managed to sneak onto the submarine and pretend to be a crewman. There is a Fordish officer in a white sweater visible during the submarine scenes, and all the time I assumed it was Junior, who had killed a crewman and impersonated him throughout the journey.

All of which would, in fact, certainly make much more sense than sitting on top of an U-Boot for days.
JerryKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 08:21 AM   #16
ValenciaGrail
IndyFan

I thought Darth Vader was Darth Fader....and that Luke wanted to be one of those "Jet Eye" Knights
Oops, wrong film...

I went into Raiders in the theaters thinking it would be about Noah's Ark.

For the longest time, I thought the line "Adios Satipo" was "Adios Stupido" until I looked at the DVD subtitles.

I also thought the pilot's name was "Jacque", until discovering it was "Jock"....again via subtitles.
ValenciaGrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 08:32 AM   #17
LostArk
IndyFan

"Jet Eye" Knight? HAHAHAH
Old 06-08-2008, 10:51 AM   #18
Goodsport
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValenciaGrail

Until I'd glanced at the Marvel Comics adaptation of the movie just prior to seeing it in the theaters (I just completed fifth-grade when I first saw the movie during its re-release in the Summer of 1982... I'm old ), I thought the exact same thing.

Also, when the TV commercials for Raiders of the Lost Ark first hit the airwaves in 1981, a dim-witted classmate of mine at the time actually thought that the movie was about the NFL's Oakland Raiders.

-G
Goodsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:09 PM   #19
vf wing
IndyFan

When I first saw Last Crusade, I thought Young Panama Hat might be Belloq. He was wearing a very similar white outfit and the scene was set in 1912, well before he had died. Of course, when they jumped to '38 a few minutes later i realized my mistake!
vf wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:06 PM   #20
DocWhiskey
IndyFan

One big misconception was the fact that I didn't know the "bad guys" were Nazis. They were just the "bad guys". And I seen them all out of order, so I thought Last Crusade was the 1st film b/c it started off with Indy as a boy. And for some reason the whole Katanga/Submarine scenes were totally forgotten when I was young. When I bought the DVDs and seen Raiders in '03, I thought those scenes were added in or something. I didn't even vaguely remember them.
DocWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:39 PM   #21
deckard24
IndyFan

Quote:
I thought Darth Vader was Darth Fader....and that Luke wanted to be one of those "Jet Eye" Knights
Oops, wrong film...

For the longest time, I thought the line "Adios Satipo" was "Adios Stupido" until I looked at the DVD subtitles.

I also thought the pilot's name was "Jacque", until discovering it was "Jock"....again via subtitles.
Darth Fader and the Jet Eyes!!! LMAO!

I had the same experience with the Adios Satipo line and Jock! Also as was mentioned earlier, I too was confused when I first saw Fedora in LC and thought it was Indy!

MaxPhactor23, I could see that! Toht does kind of have Asian features.
deckard24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:45 PM   #22
Katarn07
IndyFan

When I was 4 or 5, I thought the guy who has his heart ripped out and is lowered into the lava was from Hawaii. This was because of the leis around his neck. I also remember having trouble remembering RotLA's title so I just called it "the spider movie" due to the opening with Satipo and Indy being covered in tarantulas. I had no trouble remember ToD's or LC's titles because they're not such a mouthful. I wonder what I'd call KotCS as a 4 year old. "The fridge movie?"

Lastly, I got in trouble in school for drawing a swastika in 1st grade. I didn't know what it meant. I told them that it was a scene from Indiana Jones! lol
Katarn07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:07 PM   #23
Kali Mah
IndyFan

For some reason, when I was a kid, I thought Abner/Fedora was Belloq.
Kali Mah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:20 PM   #24
Zealot
IndyFan

Quote:

What?!? So Indy doesn't say Stupido?! But why? It made so much sense and it always, always made me laugh.
Zealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 10:45 AM   #25
Kooshmeister
IndyFan

While these aren't misconceptions I had when I first saw Raiders, they are ones I've had over the years and subsequently been set straight about. I thought that:

1. In the credits, "1st Mechanic" was referring to the guy with the wrench.

2. "Tough Sergeant" was Pat Roach's character. Despite knowing other actors' names and faces (see below), I had not yet seen Roach in enough roles to recognize him, so it make sense that a guy named "Tough Sergeant" had to be the huge guy who fought Indy. (And with regards to the actual Sergeant, he was, at the time, just another random soldier to me.)

And I guess I didn't check the credits thoroughly enough because despite knowing William Hootkins by name even then, I thought that:

3. Eaton was Musgrove and Musgrove was Eaton. C'mon, it's an honest mistake. The way Hootkins keeps interrupting the other guy made me think he was the colonel and the other guy the major; plus, he just looked like a "Musgrove."

I subsequently read the script online years later and was set straight about these things, however, thanks to the script, I thought that:

4. "Shliemann" was Dietrich's name, and Sallah calling him "Dietrich" was a blooper (!).

5. "Belzig" was Toht's name.

So imagine my confusion when I checked the credits again and found no mention of Belzig or Shliemann, but saw "Dietrich," just as Sallah had said, and also the name "Toht." I made some attempt to reconcile this in my mind by saying their full names were "Belzig Toht" and "Dietrich Shliemann."

Oh, how silly I used to be....

Last edited by Kooshmeister : 06-13-2008 at 10:56 AM.
Kooshmeister is offline   Reply With Quote