Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

kongisking

TheMutt92 said:
Penelope Cruz gets her due....

http://www.slashfilm.com/page-2-174/3/

ZZ3DDA3FD0.jpg

Give me Barbossa pointing his cutlass at us.

TheMutt92

Theatrical Trailer...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tf-sIkilR-0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

WillKill4Food

So it looks like the Fountain of Youth requires the sacrifice of a mermaid/Siren to work: one life must be destroyed to preserve another.

Given the whole Faustian ordeal from the first film, I'm guessing that the zombies are what you become (or can become) when you drink from the Fountain: you get eternal life, all right, but no rejuvenation.

Or something like that?

TheMutt92

WillKill4Food said:
So it looks like the Fountain of Youth requires the sacrifice of a mermaid/Siren to work: one life must be destroyed to preserve another.

Given the whole Faustian ordeal from the first film, I'm guessing that the zombies are what you become (or can become) when you drink from the Fountain: you get eternal life, all right, but no rejuvenation.

Or something like that?

That's what it looks like to me. One thing I've always appreciated about this franchise is that it has embraced the themes of life, death, and resurrection in full. All Jack wants to do is live forever on the sea, but to do so usually requires unwanted sacrifice or consequences (as exemplified by Barbossa and Davy Jones).

kongisking

TheMutt92 said:
That's what it looks like to me. One thing I've always appreciated about this franchise is that it has embraced the themes of life, death, and resurrection in full. All Jack wants to do is live forever on the sea, but to do so usually requires unwanted sacrifice or consequences (as exemplified by Barbossa and Davy Jones).

Finally, proof that I'm not the only one who thinks this. Thanks for validating me!

WillKill4Food

TheMutt92 said:
In that sense, it does a pretty shallow job of covering those subjects... The only really poignant scene that comes to mind is that one towards the end of At World's End when Jack sacrifices immortality itself so that Will can survive.

TheMutt92

Another trailer, as seen in the last part of Jimmy Kimmel's interview w/ Penelope Cruz...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Kg2i5RIcmV4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

WillKill4Food

TheMutt92 said:
Here there be mermaids...
Not sure I understand why the mermaids are topless. Seems like even if they cover them with their long flowing hair or perfectly-placed objects, the "family-oriented" Americans would probably prefer closure with a sea-shell bra or something. Granted, I understand that "realism" seems to be the goal, but we're talking about mermaids... Ya know?

Also, I've been silent on this so far but I'd like to offer my obligatory gripe about the skull and swords Jolly Roger. The first film was a skull and swords, the second a skull and tiki torches, the final a skull and bones (appropriately). Couldn't they think of something more inventive for the fourth outing?

kongisking

WillKill4Food said:
Not sure I understand why the mermaids are topless. Seems like even if they cover them with their long flowing hair or perfectly-placed objects, the "family-oriented" Americans would probably prefer closure with a sea-shell bra or something. Granted, I understand that "realism" seems to be the goal, but we're talking about mermaids... Ya know?

Also, I've been silent on this so far but I'd like to offer my obligatory gripe about the skull and swords Jolly Roger. The first film was a skull and swords, the second a skull and tiki torches, the final a skull and bones (appropriately). Couldn't they think of something more inventive for the fourth outing?

Sea-shell bras? In that were the case, they might as well call one of them Ariel.

Heeeeey,wait a second...!

JackBurton

The mermaid poster looks the most artificial of the bunch. I like the twist for them as evil creatures but the poster is really (n)

The Man

JackBurton said:
The mermaid poster looks the most artificial of the bunch. I like the twist for them as evil creatures but the poster is really (n)

Aye. Whoever floated their heads on those bodies should walk the plank!