Pirate Latitudes

Goonie

Michael Crichton is releasing two novels posthumously.

The first, coming this November is Pirate Latitudes. From the official press release:
Pirate Latitudes is an adventure story about piracy in the New World. Set in 1665, when Jamaica was a British colony holding out against Spanish dominance, the story centers on a plan hatched by the island's governor and a notorious pirate called Hunter to raid a Spanish treasure galleon. Fast-moving and suspenseful, Pirate Latitudes is a historical classic from one of America's best-loved authors. The novel was discovered amongst Crichton's files and was written contemporaneously with Next, published in 2006.

Jonathan Burnham, Senior Vice President and Publisher of Harper, says, "Pirate Latitudes is a fantastically enjoyable and light-hearted adventure yarn about pirates and profiteers in 17th century Jamaica. It is deeply researched and full of lively historical detail, and it shows Crichton going back to the territory he explored in novels such as The Great Train Robbery - old-fashioned entertainment, with a twist."
It's Pirates of the Caribbean from the author of Jurassic Park! (y)

The 2nd yet untitled book will be finished by a co-author and released in 2010. It's two be a techno thriller as is the norm for Crichton's books. For the full press release:
http://www.crichton-official.com/mc-newbook.html

I'm a big fan of Crichton's and will miss getting a new book every 2 to 3 years from him, as well as watching ER, now that it has come to an end after 15 seasons.

Morning Bell

I'm a HUGE fan of Crichton and was devastated to hear about his death last year. I'm excited about these last two books and hopefully they'll get the proper and respectful treatment they deserve.:)

Morning Bell

Goonie said:
According to Mania:
http://www.mania.com/two-new-crichton-developments_article_114257.html

Hollywood is interested in turning the two new books into movies. But that's what they said with Airframe, Prey, and State of Fear when they came out and so far we didn't get movies on those yet.

To be honest, I hope they leave the rest of his work alone. Hollywood has butchered pretty much every Michael Critchton book with a horrible film adaptation (with the exception of Jurassic Park to some extent, although it's still a far cry from the novel). I felt like many of the films tried to take his smart and complex stories and twist them into mindless popcorn flicks. It worked to some extent with Jurassic Park and Congo, although the soul of the books was still sorely missing from the movies. Sphere and Timeline were complete trash as films and deserved so much better.

Forbidden Eye

Thanks for the info Goonie! :hat:

I'm a Crichton fan, and am glad to see that he has yet another project in development I wasn't aware existed(even if it'll only be cowritten).

Long live Crichton! :hat:

Morning Bell said:
To be honest, I hope they leave the rest of his work alone. Hollywood has butchered pretty much every Michael Critchton book with a horrible film adaptation (with the exception of Jurassic Park to some extent, although it's still a far cry from the novel). I felt like many of the films tried to take his smart and complex stories and twist them into mindless popcorn flicks. It worked to some extent with Jurassic Park and Congo, although the soul of the books was still sorely missing from the movies. Sphere and Timeline were complete trash as films and deserved so much better.

What did you think of the ones Crichton directed?

Morning Bell

Forbidden Eye said:

I haven't seen films like Coma or Westworld so I can't comment on those. I believe that Crichton was a great director and writer; it's just that his own works were taken by others and made into poor adaptations.

Goonie

Forbidden Eye said:

I thought he did a good job as director, especially on his own material which was Runaway, The Great Train Robbery, and Westworld. I thought he did a good job on Coma too. I haven't yet seen Pursuit, Looker, and Physical Evidence.

One movie that I wouldn't mind seeing a remake of is The Terminal Man. I did see it on VHS many years ago, but it is hard to find. It hasn't been released to DVD yet.

Morning Bell

Goonie said:
I thought he did a good job as director, especially on his own material which was Runaway, The Great Train Robbery, and Westworld. I thought he did a good job on Coma too. I haven't yet seen Pursuit, Looker, and Physical Evidence.

One movie that I wouldn't mind seeing a remake of is The Terminal Man. I did see it on VHS many years ago, but it is hard to find. It hasn't been released to DVD yet.

The Terminal Man is one of my favorite Crichton books and I would love to see a faithful film adaptation of it. I will admit that The 13th Warrior wasn't too shabby either and actually followed the book somewhat closely; I'd forgotten to mention that one earlier.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2009-08-26-spielberg-crichton_N.htm
Steven Spielberg is developing a film out of a posthumously published novel by the late Michael Crichton—Pirate Latitudes, an adventure story set off the coast of Jamaica in 1665.
Screenwriter David Koepp, who adapted Crichton's novels for Jurassic Park and its sequel The Lost World, also has signed on to create the script. Spielberg plans to produce and is considering directing.
DreamWorks Studios describes the novel, set for release Nov. 24, as the story of "a daring plan to infiltrate Port Royal, one of the world's richest and most notorious cities, and raid a Spanish galleon filled with treasure."
"It's a mission movie, and we see it through the prism of what it might have been like to live on the island during that time," says Stacey Snider, Spielberg's partner in DreamWorks and the company's co-chair and CEO.
"Anything that Michael wrote, Steven would be keenly interested to read. But without Michael knowing it, or even me knowing it, it turns out Steven always wanted to direct his own pirate film."
So, Hook didn't count...

PhantomStranger

Pirates Spielberg style!

Spielberg to Develop Crichton's Pirate Latitudes
Source:USA Today
August 27, 2009

USA Today reports that Steven Spielberg is developing a film out of a posthumously published novel by the late Michael Crichton - "Pirate Latitudes," an adventure story set off the coast of Jamaica in 1665.

Screenwriter David Koepp, who adapted Crichton's novels for Jurassic Park and its sequel "The Lost World," also has signed on to write the script. Spielberg plans to produce and is considering directing, says the newspaper.

DreamWorks Studios describes the novel, set for release Nov. 24, as the story of "a daring plan to infiltrate Port Royal, one of the world's richest and most notorious cities, and raid a Spanish galleon filled with treasure."

"It's a mission movie, and we see it through the prism of what it might have been like to live on the island during that time," says Stacey Snider, Spielberg's partner in DreamWorks and the company's co-chair and CEO.

DreamWorks plans to wait for Koepp's script before setting any formal schedule for the project. "This is a reunion movie that taps into all three of them, and their love of high adventure. Just like old times," Snider says.

Goonie

Wonder if Jack Sparrow will make an appearance.;)

I'm a big Michael Crichton fan so it was a surprise when I heard that they are releasing this book after his death. Can't wait to read it.

roundshort

this is very cool news! hard to top POTC, but I will be excited. I think i will wait for the movie, as this sounds like a rare thing when a properly made movie might be better than book!

RedeemedChild

That's SOOOOOOOOO exciting! I enjoy historical/fantasy films and I really enjoy the Golden Pirate era, especially after having seen Disney's fantastic Pirates of the Caribbean and the legendary Disney classic Davy Crockett and the River Pirates.

I know Spielberg is going to have to do a lot to rival and appease the appetites of those who been following the adventures of Captain Jack Sparrow and Will Turner but after experiencing the Jurassic Park Ride at Universal Studios in California last year I know he can create some really nice adventures so I'm ready for this one.

HovitosKing

Morning Bell said:
Sphere and Timeline were complete trash as films and deserved so much better.

Frankly, Timeline was written as complete trash, with the intention of turning it into a mindless, cliched summer blockbuster. That book is anything but quality writing.

deckard24

Great...Koepp again?

Call me skeptical, but just thinking about Hook, makes me unsure about Spielberg doing another pirate movie. I'm curious though if it will be a more realistic take on pirates, or a PG kid friendly affair?

One thing is for sure, Spielberg should take a page out of Peter Weir's book, and make something along the lines of Master and Commander.

Goonie

Goonie said:
Wonder if Jack Sparrow will make an appearance.;)

Wait a minute, this is going to be a Spielberg flick so that means Captain One-Eyed Willie might make an appearance.;)

WillKill4Food

deckard24 said:
I'm curious though if it will be a more realistic take on pirates, or a PG kid friendly affair?
Since it's based on a Michael Crichton novel, it should be the former, but, then again, most of the films based on Crichton's novels have been turned into the latter.