Villeneuve's Dune

Joe Brody

Best part of Blade Runner 2049's press junket was word that Denis Villeneuve's next project would be adapting Frank Herbert's Dune.

I can go on all day about Dune but, simply put, Dune is a true masterpiece that should be taught in High School English classes. (Fortunately and/or unfortunately) David Lynch's off-the-mark 1980's adaptation helped keep Dune firmly in the domain of sci-fi geeks for decades (arguably, the height of Dune's popularity was during the burgeoning eco-consciousness of the late '60's and early '70's). But with a real talent like Villeneuve at the helm, I expect Dune will now go into the cultural mainstream the way Tolkien's Lord of Rings benefited from the good work of Peter Jackson.

I'm most encouraged that Villeneuve is inspired to bring the film life as he envisioned it:

“[My adaptation] will not have any link with the David Lynch movie. I’m going back to the book, and going to the images that came out when I read it.”

Frank Herbert's visual descriptions are fantastic -- and I confess I didn't have a full appreciation for Herbert's talent until I was an adult. When I was younger, I was so enthralled by the plot, that I didn't appreciate his visual mastery. With Blade Runner 2049, I know Villeneuve can deliver.

My one fear is that Frank Herbert's son or the Wanda Group messes with the adaptation -- but fear is the mind killer, so I'm going to be optimistic and very hung-ho for this project.

I look forward for the casting rumors to start and hope that Charlize Theron gets the nod as Lady Jessica and perhaps Tom Holland as the young Paul Maud'dib.

Last edited:

Joe Brody

Another good sign. . . .

Dune to be broken into two films.

This a good sign because there's too much good content and multiple narratives in the novel for one film. As we've just seen with Infinity War, it is likely good to get away from 'Part I' and 'Part II' subtitles. I'll be very interested in what subtitles they come up with.

Villeneuve has billed 'Dune' as 'Star Wars for adults.' Given the dysfunction at Lucasfilm, his timing on this adaptation couldn't be better.

Z dweller

Joe Brody said:
With Blade Runner 2049, I know Villeneuve can deliver.
Agreed.
I have now watched BR2049 several times, and it's become one of my all time favorite sci-fi movies along with the original.

can't wait for Villeneuve's Dune(s), I'm sure he'll do a great job with them too. (y)

Joosse

This certainly is most excellent news. I believe that if anyone can do it, he will.

One thing in defense of David Lynch' version though. I believe he was making a faithful adaptation but the studio shut him down because he was way over budget.

Lynch then just angrily hacked together the shots that he did have and walked away from the project.

Or at least that is what I always understood.

tubasthebest

I have seen this twice in IMAX and really enjoy it. It’s one of the most beautifully shot sci-fy films I’ve ever seen. Having read the book I feel it was a masterful adaptation.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Part 2 is filming in Jordan.

Timothee-Chalam.jpg

Joe Brody

The trailer for the sequel is out, and all I can say is ‘wow.’

Looks like Princess Irulan has a larger role, which I’m all for since it looks like the most excellent Florence Pugh got the gig.

British Raider

Yes looking forward to Part 2. Can’t wait to see Christopher Walken. Hope he goes full Walken. With Part 1 I was impressed by Villeneuve’s ability to drill down and find a way of presenting the story in a digestible way for audiences. I always felt his films showed a bit of a deaf ear to story even though I’ve enjoyed them all. But something was always a bit lacking. Blade Runner 2049, even though he didn’t have a hand in the script, felt like certain elements needed dramatising in the back half that weren’t. Anyway, hoping with Part 2 his story sense is still spot on. With the 2 parts we could have a 5 hour epic.

British Raider

Dune Part 2 was very good. I found some structural issues with it though and a convenient plot point where the bad guys just happen to find the location…how? And some of the bad guy deaths at the end were a little anti-climatic, but overall enjoyed it. I’m seeing a lot of predictions that this is the best blockbuster we’ll get this year but there’s another desert movie coming in May that is somehow getting slept on and might be even better.

Joe Brody

Agreed on the end being anti climatic. I like what they did with Chani for the most part but the change in her character and how it manifested at the end undercut the finality of the moment (as compared to the ending in the novel). Apologies for being a bit vague but I want to avoid spoilers.

I’m dense, what movie in May?

British Raider

Agreed on the end being anti climatic. I like what they did with Chani for the most part but the change in her character and how it manifested at the end undercut the finality of the moment (as compared to the ending in the novel). Apologies for being a bit vague but I want to avoid spoilers.

I’m dense, what movie in May?
Furiosa. The script has been knocking around for a number of years now and is allegedly great and the recent test screenings have been great too. I just find it interesting after the sleeper hit of Fury Road it’s also flying under the radar. I’ve listened to a fair few critics now who think Dune Part 2 means this years blockbusters have peaked already. I’m not so sure, regardless what an achievement this one is.