Which Indy opener would you have liked to seen be its own film?

Which Indy opener would've made its own great movie?

• Raiders of the Lost Ark

Votes: 31 38.3%
  • Temple of Doom

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • Last Crusade

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Votes: 7 8.6%

• Total voters

TheMutt92

In discussing the openings of each Indiana Jones film, GL said the general idea was to start w/ the end of another movie (just like some people would jump halfway in on an old film serial). So this got me thinking: which of the Indy openers would have made a good movie if we got to see the whole adventure? For me, I would have liked to have seen the opening of TOD expanded into its own movie, with Indy, Short Round and Wu (was that his name?) being chased across the streets of Shanghai by Lao and his men. (y)

LostArk

For me its a tie between Raiders and Crusade. Unless a movie expanding the ToD opener involved Indy and Wu Han looking for Nurhachi, then ToD would be tied along with them.

TheMutt92

LostArk said:
For me its a tie between Raiders and Crusade.

Those two would be interesting as well. Personally, I'd like to see how Indy got on white hats boat and then got caught (and the ensuing action beforehand!).

It seems like KOTCS (which was a very fun opening in my opinion) would'nt have made a good movie on its own. I mean, weren't Mac and Indy just digging in the sands of Mexico before they got caught?

If you read the KOTCS novel it tells what happens before the movie and how they got caught and it really isn't that exciting

Dust McAlan

Out of all of them, the only sequence that makes sense in my brain would be Young Indy in Last Crusade. Having that be expanded into a bigger, longer chase, then with Indy refusing to give up after Fedora takes the cross back, and showing Indy going after it again and his resourcefulness, would work as a feature. Otherwise, the other openings are just too perfect for setting up their respective films. Especially "Anything Goes."

thelaw

Definitely TOD.

Last Crusade's beginning is a pretty complete story unto itself (the climax being 26 years later for the character).

Raiders is enough of a story that I don't feel like I missed out on anything exciting before we meet our hero.

KOTCS is just the beginning of the main story (although it might be interesting to see what Indy was doing before he was captured, as described by the novel)

TOD leaves open an endless supply of adventure. We saw nothing of the adventure itself, only what he was going to do with Nurhachi after he found it.

Jones_Happens

I say ToD. Seeing Indy in his dealings with the Shangai mob would have been cool. Also, seeing how he acquired the ashes would be cool.

I also would like to see more of he and Shorty AND Wu Han!

James

I don't know why we're limiting such a film to just what is glimpsed in the actual prologue. What we're really talking about is which style would be the most interesting to see adapted into an Indy film.

I think TOD is the clear winner of such an argument, because it's so unique from the rest of the series.

KOTCS would probably be my second choice, because such a film would also be far removed from what we're used to seeing in an Indy film. It would basically be more "Saucermen" than anything else.

nitzsche

Lucas developed an entire series off of the LC opener, so I would have to go with that one as having the most potential to work with.

jonesissparrow

That one was tough but I picked ROTLA simply because I woud've like to see some urgency to get the idol before the other rivals get at it. My second choice would be LC and then TOD, KOTCS like someone mentioned before is not that worthy of a movie by itself.

Swindle

I really don't like the LC opening. It just feels like a ham fisted way to explain everything. How he got into whips, how he got his hat, how he became afraid of snakes. It bugged me how it all happened in one adventure.

The opener for Skulls really can;t stand on its own. It is completely tied to the movie, so its between Raiders and ToD.

I went with Raiders. You could easily expand the it into its own movie. You got a bunch of interesting characters and the single most iconic scene in the movies. ToD opener is a nice change of pace, but it's a little too much James Bond-like for my taste.

Definitely Temple of Doom. There's so much backstory between Jones and Lao Che and how he tries to get back the Peacock's Eye. Easily could be made into it's own adventure.

TrailBlazer

thelaw said:
Definitely TOD.

Last Crusade's beginning is a pretty complete story unto itself (the climax being 26 years later for the character).

Raiders is enough of a story that I don't feel like I missed out on anything exciting before we meet our hero.

KOTCS is just the beginning of the main story (although it might be interesting to see what Indy was doing before he was captured, as described by the novel)

TOD leaves open an endless supply of adventure. We saw nothing of the adventure itself, only what he was going to do with Nurhachi after he found it.

My thoughts exactly.

muttjones

Definitely temple of doom.

The shanghai mobsters are just too cool to pass up.
Short Round is the best sidekick.

The only problem with the openings of the Indiana Jones films is that none of them have a love interest.
The parts shown in the movies are the climaxes of that adventure and their is no girl insight in any of the movies.

It would have to be changed slightly to work as a proper Indy film

Crack that whip

I Hate Snakes! said:
I went with Last Crusade, but should have went with Temple of Doom. Mainly because of Lao. :cool:

I think I might go with it, mainly because of "Anything Goes."

We could have an all-musical Indy! :D