Any mention of YIJ?

Raiders90

In any of the adult novels (McCoy, MacGreggor, etc) is there any mention of Indy's service in WWI as a spy or as a soldier, or any other YIJC referrences?

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
From memory, no, not really. One comic from DH ("Thunder in the Orient") does mention the Pancho Villa episode however which was interesting.

Ltdefense

The Dark Horse omnibus had a TON of Young Indy refrences. I'm gonna make a thread about it eventually, wanted to read them again first.

I've still got a few novels to go, but so far no explicit refrences. It's a bit fun to read between the lines and try to retcon, though. He's REALLY into Jazz in the books, which flows well from Mystery of the Blues (which I haven't seen, but I know is jazz themed). In Peril of Delphi, he gets mad at the hipsters who are complaining about WW1. In the book it's because he generally dislikes hipsters, but we know the REAL reason it upset him :cool:

Secret of the Spinx mentioned that he visited the Spinx as a child, I took that as a refrence to the Young Indy episode.

Adamwankenobi

Ltdefense said:
In Peril of Delphi, he gets mad at the hipsters who are complaining about WW1. In the book it's because he generally dislikes hipsters, but we know the REAL reason it upset him :cool:

I'm surprised he didn't start telling them a story. ;)

Crack that whip

I long thought the jazz thing was an intentional reference. It certainly seems a good fit between the show and the books.

One thing that struck me that I'm not sure anyone else ever noticed was this eagle connection. In a flashback in Indiana Jones and the Peril at Delphi, when he was fourteen Indy met an old Navajo man named Changing Man, who set Indy on a vision quest on which he would meet his animal guardian / protector. Indy encounters an eagle, and from then on, according to Rob MacGregor, the eagle is his guardian creature, and references to eagles crop up every now and then. In The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, the 93-year-old Indy, presumably retired from adventuring, has exchanged his whip for a cane, and the cane's handle is a brass sculpture of an eagle's head.
:eek:

Coincidence? Possibly. Probably, even. But still...
;)

Personal story: as it happens, while like many Indy fans I have some interest in putting together a set of Indy-esque costume gear and prop replicas, it's something I haven't begun actively pursuing yet, with one exception: that cane. By a very cool coincidence, many years ago - around the time the show was still running, actually - I wandered into a pawn shop near my parents' house (I still lived with them then) and happened to see this very familiar-looking cane. It had a brass eagle's-head handle, and I realized it was extremely similar to the one carried by George Hall's Old Indy on the show. I went back home for photo reference, the pics with a George Hall interview in Starlog, and came back to find it was indeed exactly the same style of handle. The wooden shaft of the cane was another story; the one I found was a very light (in color) wood, and also in two pieces (with a joint in the middle of the cane), whereas old Indy's cane is a single shaft of darker wood - but then, "the shaft is just a stick..." ;) and could easily be replaced. Naturally I bought the cane, and I continue to treasure it to this day. It's funny to think the first "real" item of Indy gear I have* is one of the things he added to his accoutrements late in his life...

*I have owned brown fedoras, but dissimilar enough to Indy's that I eventually became dissatisfied, and I no longer have one, alas - but I will again, some day...

Lao_Che

His contribution to French Intelligence is mentioned on the first page of Thunder in the Orient as the reason why he was invited to the dig site. The comics have the advantage that some were written by Dan Barry who did the comic adaptations of the Chronicles.

Stoo

Ltdefense said:
The Dark Horse omnibus had a TON of Young Indy refrences. I'm gonna make a thread about it eventually, wanted to read them again first.
Great idea, Lt, and one I'd contribute to!

Ltdefense said:
Secret of the Spinx mentioned that he visited the Spinx as a child, I took that as a refrence to the Young Indy episode.
Cool! I've never noticed any real references and considering the bulk of MacGregor's books came out before the show began,
it's not a surprise. As you and Crack that whip mentioned, there is the jazz element. (I've often wondered if this was simply
a coincidence or one of the few, vague details that Lucas was able to provide before MacGregor started scribbling.)

I don't have McCoy's books so can't comment on those stories. (Will have them soon!)
Crack that whip said:
One thing that struck me that I'm not sure anyone else ever noticed was this eagle connection. In a flashback in Indiana Jones and the Peril at Delphi, when he was fourteen Indy met an old Navajo man named Changing Man, who set Indy on a vision quest on which he would meet his animal guardian / protector. Indy encounters an eagle, and from then on, according to Rob MacGregor, the eagle is his guardian creature, and references to eagles crop up every now and then. In The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, the 93-year-old Indy, presumably retired from adventuring, has exchanged his whip for a cane, and the cane's handle is a brass sculpture of an eagle's head.
:eek:

Coincidence? Possibly. Probably, even. But still...
;)
Never thought of that before but (even though it's probably just a coincidence) I'm liking the idea.:)
Nice story about your cane find, Crack!

Lao_Che

Stoo said:
Never thought of that before but (even though it's probably just a coincidence) I'm liking the idea.:)
Nice story about your cane find, Crack!

An explanation for the eagle holding the sword and olive branch (on the novel chapters) too.

Crack that whip

Indeed. And thanks, Stoo.

I still haven't gotten around to replacing the wood in the cane, but it's on my "to do" list, along with zillions of other things. :eek: If I ever get around to it I'll be sure to post pics of the results over in Indy Gear and Props (for that matter, perhaps I should just post a pic of the cane as it is now; the handle's the important thing on it anyway, as far as its relevance to this forum's readership is concerned).

TalonCard

Adamwankenobi said:
Does Remy appear (or is he mentioned) in anything (aside from YIJC adaptations)?

The Lost Journal has a note Indy didn't send to Remy, written shortly after Temple of Doom. How old would Remy have been at that point, anyway?

TC

Stoo

tupogirl said:
Remy was 40 when they joined the Belgian Army, Indy was 17... 60ish?
Where are you getting Remy's age from, tupogirl? Plus, Indy was still 16 when he enlisted.;)

tupogirl

Stoo said:
Where are you getting Remy's age from, tupogirl? Plus, Indy was still 16 when he enlisted.;)

I have absolutely no idea where I'm getting his age from, lol. I'll see if I can find it today.

tupogirl

Whoops. Flipping through my copy of 'On the Set and Behind the Scenes', it says that RONNY was 40 years old. I had just read that on the copy on here a few days ago. Heh.

Stoo

tupogirl said:
Whoops. Flipping through my copy of 'On the Set and Behind the Scenes', it says that RONNY was 40 years old. I had just read that on the copy on here a few days ago. Heh.
Thanks for digging that up. Anyway, 40 is a likely age, I guess.
Crack that whip said:
In a flashback in Indiana Jones and the Peril at Delphi, when he was fourteen Indy met an old Navajo man named Changing Man, who set Indy on a vision quest on which he would meet his animal guardian / protector. Indy encounters an eagle, and from then on, according to Rob MacGregor, the eagle is his guardian creature, and references to eagles crop up every now and then.
Indy actually meets Changing Man twice and the second time is the summer after his graduation (1916)
while he's working on his uncle's farm in the southwest. Coincidentally, this puts him in a similar place & time
to Sante Fe in "Curse of the Jackal/Spring Break Adventure". Indy could have had his vision quest just a few
days before heading to Mexico.

tupogirl

Thanks for digging that up. Anyway, 40 is a likely age, I guess.

Or he could have been like Sean and playing a character 10 years younger! So I think anywhere between 30 and 40 could be right.