TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
User Name
Password

Old 10-29-2008, 02:29 AM   #26
Niteshade007
IndyFan

Apparently retirement isn't so fun after all

This seemed like an appropriate enough thread. Mods, please feel free to move it if it is necessary.
Niteshade007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:39 AM   #27
Sankara

Yes, I guess he didn't like the script for many reasons.
Sankara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:24 AM   #28
Darth Vile
IndyFan

I doubt it had anything to do with the quality of the script (as already mentioned in previous posts). It's possible that Connery wasn't interested in the part because it was nothing more than an extended cameo. Personally speaking, I would have liked to have seen Connery reprise his role, but I wouldn't have wanted the character involved in the meat of the story/adventure.
Darth Vile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:06 AM   #29
Laserschwert
IndyFan

Since I'm pretty sure it would've been Broadbent's part that was supposed to be played by Connery/Henry Sr., I'm sure it wasn't the script who repelled Connery... he's made really bad movies in the past, so no excuses here ;-)
Laserschwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:53 AM   #30
Darth Vile
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserschwert
Since I'm pretty sure it would've been Broadbent's part that was supposed to be played by Connery/Henry Sr., I'm sure it wasn't the script who repelled Connery... he's made really bad movies in the past, so no excuses here ;-)

That's my view too i.e. He would have been more or less filling the Broadbent role. So it would have been nice... but it's clearly not as fundamental as the part in TLC.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:28 AM   #31
torao
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niteshade007

Hilarious. Hehehehe.
I still have my doubts wether or not this is true, though.

(Whatever his reasons not to be in IndyIV were, I think that his absence created one of the best and most crucial moments of the film. And yet I would like to see what his part in the earlier Koepp draft looked like.)
torao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:37 AM   #32
WeAreGoingToDie
IndyFan

Connery being in KOTCS as the film is now would have been not only unnecessary, but also would spoil much of Indy's motivation. Had Indy had a dad, he wouldn't be depressed and craving a family as he was at the intro of Skull. After the warehouse scene, he'd probably consult with his dad and Henry Sr. would assist him in an adventure (and we'd have a rehash of TLC plus a young kid).
WeAreGoingToDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:37 AM   #33
The Man
IndyFan

When Connery rejected Georgie's advances, did Lucas kill Henry Sr. off in a huff..? Hmmm...

Also, to have Sean's wonderful contribution to The Last Crusade 'memorialised' with "...Somewhere, your Grandpa is smiling..." was a disgusting atrocity.
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:40 AM   #34
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by torao
(Whatever his reasons not to be in IndyIV were, I think that his absence created one of the best and most crucial moments of the film. And yet I would like to see what his part in the earlier Koepp draft looked like.)

I'm with you there...shame we didn't get the Broadbent scene in full, with the "who will they say I was?" dialogue and the extra bit about Mac being as good as dead.

Of course, The Man's right on his point too, though one feel they have to refer to Jones, Sr. somehow near the end. (There were better ways, though I'm not struck by any. Not sleeping will do that to you.)
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:25 AM   #35
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

It's interesting those of you who think that Broadbent's character was a replacement for Henry Sr. I think Stanforth was always in the script, though thinking about it maybe the scene in Indy's house would have been Connery instead of Broadbent.
Udvarnoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:48 AM   #36
Darth Vile
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udvarnoky
It's interesting those of you who think that Broadbent's character was a replacement for Henry Sr. I think Stanforth was always in the script, though thinking about it maybe the scene in Indy's house would have been Connery instead of Broadbent.

That's what I was thinking... Of course Stanforth is obviously more of a straight replacement for Brody than he is for Henry Jones Senior, but there is some cross over.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:17 AM   #37
sandiegojones
IndyFan

I just think the Connery's part was too small for him to do it. Plus him, Mutt, marion and Ox is too much if they are going on an adventure.
sandiegojones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:26 AM   #38
The Man
IndyFan

Would have been lovely to see him at the wedding...
Old 10-29-2008, 11:29 AM   #39
Sankara

@the man
Oh yes... and short round is the driver of the wedding-car... *LOL*...
Sankara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:40 AM   #40
UltimateManGod
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankara
@the man

Because Indy woudn't want his own father to be at his wedding. That makes a lot of sense. Though I will agree, it would have been stupid to have Shorty the wedding car driver.
UltimateManGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:41 AM   #41
sandiegojones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man
Would have been lovely to see him at the wedding...
That probably would have been all he did too, which is why he turned it down.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:43 AM   #42
The Man
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegojones
That probably would have been all he did too, which is why he turned it down.

Indeed. Even in the Darabont draft he had what, about two scenes?
Old 10-29-2008, 11:51 AM   #43
sandiegojones
IndyFan

yeah I think it's better that he's dead. It works better for the Mutt relationship. Can you imagine if Mutt now had a new Grandpa on top of a new Dad?
Old 10-29-2008, 12:08 PM   #44
fedoraboy
IndyFan

There was a Bond 'South Bank Show' on in the UK at the weekend which profiled Quantum of Solace but also looked back at the earlier Bond movies. It featured a new IV with Connery and, sadly, he didn't look at all well. I'd say that it was health reasons that primarily kept him from returning to the role - although he may still have been unhappy on the script's treatment of his character and it was a combination of both that kept him away.
fedoraboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:31 PM   #45
MaxPhactor23
IndyFan

I wouldn’t doubt for a minute that the script had something to do with it. But then the role was rather small too. Ultimately what‘s the point? Undoubtedly he‘d come out of retirement if it was some jaw dropping piece though….which apparently it wasn‘t. The think the boards almost unanimous there. Sean knows art when he sees it. That‘s why he shot League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Robbed at the Oscars, that was. *cough*…

“Junior…Aliens? Blasphemy!”
MaxPhactor23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:45 PM   #46
caats
IndyFan

i'm not sure the script mattered. maybe a bit. but he's been in some pretty crappy movies. didn't he also turn down roles in the matrix and lord of the rings??
caats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:23 PM   #47
Forbidden Eye
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by caats
i'm not sure the script mattered. maybe a bit. but he's been in some pretty crappy movies. didn't he also turn down roles in the matrix and lord of the rings??

Lord of the Rings, yes. The Matrix, no, not that I know of at least. He did turn down Dumbledore from Harry Potter as well I believe.

Anyone who believes Sean Connery didn't join because of the quality of the script is nothing more but a foolish and radical KOTCS hater.

Didn't is just occur to anyone that he didn't join Indy 4 because maybe, as he said, "Retirement is too damn fun"? Yeah, he has come out of retirement, but keep in mind, he said that statements over a year ago. People often have their opinions and attitudes towards things change in a year. Maybe he just wanted more time to relax, and after enough rest for 5 years, is ready to jump back into action.

Chances are if Indy 4 were getting made this year, he'd join it.

About the absence of Connery affecting KOTCS, I agree that it improved the movie quite a bit. One of the most dramatic scenes in the entire franchise and the best use of the "coming of age" story in Indy 4 is when Indy looks at his father's photo, having to deal with living in a time period he doesn't relate in as well as wondering is there much if any point left in life. And just hearing John William's grail theme as Indy stares at the picture makes the scene that much more touching and memorable. It also, as pointed out, makes the end a lot more natural as now with Marion and Mutt, he he regains the excitement and meaning in life he felt was gone at the beginning.

While it's a mild shame we only got to see Henry Jones Sr. in just one installment, the ending in LC is the perfect ending for him and makes the old "franchise-closer" relevant.
Forbidden Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:32 PM   #48
Crack that whip
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidden Eye
While it's a mild shame we only got to see Henry Jones Sr. in just one installment

Oh, some of us got to see him in more installments than just the one...

Quote:
the ending in LC is the perfect ending for him and makes the old "franchise-closer" relevant.

For the moment, I think I'm inclined to agree here.
Crack that whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:09 PM   #49
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

Quote:
Anyone who believes Sean Connery didn't join because of the quality of the script is nothing more but a foolish and radical KOTCS hater.

Hey now. I don't think it's the reason he declined either, but it's hardly a "radical" assumption to make considering the quotes he made prior to being asked. Let's not forget this:

Quote:
The new Indiana Jones film is due to shoot this summer, and after being approached by Lucas, Connery admits he is seriously considering it.

Asked directly if he thought he would be back in front of the cameras this summer as Dr Jones, he answered: "Perhaps."

Choosing his words carefully, Connery then added: "At the moment there's nothing decided. I haven't got the script. Everything depends on the script."

When you consider that, combined with the fact that he's now willing to get out of retirement for an upcoming movie, it's hardly an obscene notion to think that the quality of the script was a possible reason Connery turned down the offer. It may not be the correct one, of course. Connery's inability to select a good screenplay is legendary, and I can certainly buy that he just didn't want to get out of retirement, but on the other hand, you should calm down.

On the subject of Connery and Indy4, here's a podcast that was recorded on May 10th that mentions an interesting rumor that I've never heard before. I'll type it below for those who don't care to listen (for those that do, the relevant stuff is at 7:45):

Quote:
And what's interesting is they worked very very very hard to try to get Sean Connery to come back and be in this thing. In fact my understanding is they still, even now, when trying to lock in the film are kind of hoping they could get him to do, to make some sort of a cameo.

I've never heard anything else to suggest that, but it would be really interesting if that was true, that they really wanted him that bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateManGod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankara
@the man

Because Indy woudn't want his own father to be at his wedding. That makes a lot of sense. Though I will agree, it would have been stupid to have Shorty the wedding car driver.

You guys can eat me. I would have totally dug such a cameo.
Udvarnoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:38 PM   #50
the ox
IndyFan

as lame as it might seem ... i think someone - anyone - from the previous movies being at the wedding would have added something to what was a sort of flat ending. yeah - even if he hadn't said anything just having shorty among the guests would have been cool ... or sallah (i guess those are the only options really ...)

but i do agree that connery not coming back added some much needed depth/emotional weight by way of the re-write. i would have loved to have seen him but LC was perfect as far as that whole theme/dynamic went anyway.
the ox is offline   Reply With Quote