What's a Hero?

Webley

Strider said:
A hero is somone who puts themselves in a situation to help others. Indiana Jones is a hero. A fireman (or woman) is a hero.
Hay I was a Fireman for 2 years dos that make me a hero?

Pale Horse

Staff member
I guess it depends, Webley, on who you ask? Hero or not, you get my highest respect for your service.

Caitlin

Kate said:
I bet you looked frickin' smashing in that fireman suit! ;) [/B]

Yes he did!

I think a hero is anyone one who thinks of the needs of others before themselves. Parents + teachers are heros, civil servants, folks serving in our military, scientists, humanitarians...on + on.

Web just reminded me..Harrison Ford is a hero!! He saves lost Boy Scouts in his helicopter!

Kate

I agree with you, Caitlin. There are lots of heroes that aren't whip-wielding, gun-toting, and fedora-wearing.

Doc Savage

apalehorse said:
Could it be said, than, conversely that if the actions of one person are viewed by another who sees a difference between the risk and the doer, they will see a heroic act or person, though the doer does not see the same thing?

Sometimes the best heroes are this selfless. What one deems heroic, another just sees as necessary and, in doing so, accomplishes the heroic.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
There are such things as great men. There are such things as good men. But I am reluctant to use the term hero outside of a literary discussion.

chipuk

I love my mum and dad, my wife, my family.
Like ren said my father and grandfather served during the
war and later in Korea. what they did was heroic so in my eyes they are a hero to me and thats what counts.

However to be a hero can be something very small to that person or something very large.

Academically it could mean something very different.

but could it be read that it is doing something without fear or feeling or thought for the greater good .

Are the two words very different hero and heroic?

the hammer42

A hero to me is someone who will do the right thing at the right time.
You got all sorts of heroes. It does not matter what age you are.
Just do the right thing.

hffan2000

to me a hero is someone who faces adversity and overcomes it through courage and faith. take for example lance armstrong. he had to battle several types of cancer and beat them through treatments and faith. he's gone on to win 5 tour de france races. that i find truly amazing. i think we're all heroic in some small way. we may never save the world like indy but by even doing the littlest things for our fellow man we can be heros in an age that needs the most. to me a true hero is someone who stands for what's good and right in this world and tries to be a role model for the coming generation. i know that's what i aspire to do.

qwerty

For me Hero is just a word.
Sometimes someone does something so extreme and special that it amazes everyone. But that act after some time becomes just another thing that happened some time ago. But becouse people have a need to remember such things they name these people heros to save them from oblivion.
The one who does these things just becouse he wants to be a hero is a moron. The word only exists for one reason and it is not fame and glory.