Alternate Episode Titles

Stoo

In addition to my own recordings in English, I have a few episodes in other languages: German, Dutch and French. The German ones (from the Austrian channel, ORF1) have alternate titles instead of the usual locations & dates.

Can anyone else provide the other German titles beside these?

Prague, August 1917
Kein Anschluss Unter Dieser Nummer (No Connection At This Number)

Palestine, October 1917
Die Brunnen von Beerscheba (The Wells of Beersheba)

Transylvania, January 1918
Der Fürst des Schreckens (The Prince of Terror)

Istanbul, September 1918
Der Wolf von Istanbul (The Wolf of Istanbul)

----
Four years ago in another thread, Young Indiana Jones and the Great Escape, I asked if the Somme & Germany episodes were paired together as a movie in Australia using this title but it doesn't seem to be the case. The origin of this title still remains a mystery...

Did any other countries have alternate titles? If so, what are they?:confused:

Archaeos

I participated on establishing a complete list on the German language Wikipedia a while ago, and the data can be found here:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_Abenteuer_des_jungen_Indiana_Jones#Episoden

It follows the 45min episode structure which was how it was broadcast on German private channel Sat.1 from Autumn 1992 onwards.

Sorry if this takes the fun out of deep research and digging, but I think this info should allow you to collate a complete German list of titles for The Raven. Let me know if anything is unclear, or if I misunderstood your original post...

Last edited:

Demitasse

Ausgezeichnet! Some of these are much better than the original titles!! My favorites are Der Eunuch von Barcelona (Spain) and Die Prinzessin auf dem Eis (Vienna)!!

Archaeos

I agree: several episode titles refer to or are an intelligent or poetic twist on German literature works or their titles, proverbs, designations or just ironic witticisms. It picks up on the German habit of linguistic punctiliousness (Formsprache > Sprachformen) which is where German humour is rooted - it's a slow burn but very funny when you get it. And it cannot be translated well (or at all). Hence why the cliché goes in the "Angel-lands" that Germans have no humour... ;)

Funny that you mention Die Prinzessin auf dem Eis, because this and Der Urwalddoktor were my favourite episodes for various personal reasons, and made quite a long-lasting impact on me and my life (y) . But that's something for the 'Newbie Forum', if I ever find the time to post there :sleep: .

Stoo

Archaeos, that is EXACLTY what I was looking for! Thanks a million. I'm curious to know which ones have the "poetic twists" but first I need to translate them all before you can explain the jokes.

Right of the bat, I can see that, "Felder des Todes" ("Fields of Death"), for the Verdun episode was used for its Random House novelization, "Field of Death".

---
Anyone know of alternate titles in other languages?:confused: